Complaint about too many wine glasses and disclosed dog fee

I allow dogs also, I dont charge extra because I dont know how. Where do you charge the “dog” fee? I agree with everyone else, more glasses should be better and $20 for a dog seems cheap. Let them look into boarding their dog next time!

1 Like

Put it in your House Rules and then you can dictate how they pay you. Ideally through the Resolution Center as an extra service. But I indicate I accept cash, Zelle, Ca$h App, ApplePay, and Vemno also.
Note that I intentionally misspelled Venmo because otherwise Airbnb censors it.

1 Like

To us, yes. To the people with the dogs, I’m not so sure.

I just raised my dog fee to $20 from $15 and the very first person to book with a dog after than questioned the fee. He booked, accepted the change via the resolution center, arrived, said he didn’t like the room and then cancelled his two night stay. So obviously that human was a hot mess but he did say it seemed like a lot of money and “I could have stayed in the hotel I was in” for less money.

I need to find a balance between high enough to cover my costs and low enough that pet owners will still book with me.

I board dogs in my home and the cash rate is $25 a day so $20 for no services compared to “give the dog to me and I do everything” is worth considering.

3 Likes

At my whole house listings (with a fully fenced in yard, a doggy door, and free crates provided for use) I charge $15/pet/night for house trained and $25/pet/night for non house trained.

At my farm in the private room I increased my rate to $20 and $30 respectively. I also accept horses. I most recently had a sweet cat for a month. I allowed a fish to stay for free (because the guest declared properly according to my House Rules).

I match the pet long term discount with the listing long term discount. That is between 5-20%. I do not discount for multiple pets for guests.

I board dogs in my home as well but for between $40 and $55/night. There I provide long term discounts, multi-pet discounts, loyal client discounts as well as military, disabled veteran and Gold Star Family discounts from 10-50%.

I have had Airbnb guests recently hire me to dog sit at the whole house listing. I do that for $65/night + $0.45/mile, normally. I didn’t charge mileage since it was my own property (although it is a 25 mile round trip) and they didn’t need me for the full 10-12 hours I normally provide. They had 3 big pit bulls.

I have had guests at the whole house listing drive the 25 miles a day to drop their dog off for Doggy Daycare at my farm where I charge $28.

I have had one Airbnb Guest couple (she was also a host and also an in-home dog boarder) who brought their 4 dogs to the private room in my farm house and I actually took their dogs out for a couple potty breaks for free.

I have had Airbnb guests who were visiting family nearby and recommended me to their family for petcare based on how well behaved my pets are.

I have had some pet problems too, but usually it was the people that were the problem really.

2 Likes

Hi Shanghai
Oh these reviews they are enough to drive hosts crazy. They are so disingenuous most of the time. When I get one of these reviews I just make sure that I reply to the bad review within the 14 days explaining my side of the story. Most travellers would look at your response and see the bad review for what it really is (hogwash). I always state in my response that some travellers just can’t be bothered to read terms & conditions/house rules carefully, therefore their complaint is null and void. I have also found that some guests just feel the absolute need to complain about something - they must be very unhappy people. Don’t stress about this bad review and petty guests - we are all in the same boat sinking slowly!!
All the best
Al

1 Like

Ugh, that’s ridiculous. I did have someone dock me a star because they couldn’t get their xbox they brought set up on our TV. Obviously their equipment not working with ours is not our fault, especially when we do not advertise it as such. However, if they had bothered to ask, my husband said he would have set it up for them as our TV is in fact compatible.

We had another guest dock up a star because they claim we don’t actually live in the neighborhood we advertise. We do, in fact, live in the neighborhood and we are actually pretty close to the attractions in the neighborhood. I think people are just not used to cities. (These people also wanted us to call the cops on our neighbor’s quinceanera, blah)

1 Like

I am trying to think of a scenario in which these would be legitimate complaints …

There were too many wine glasses so I felt deprived because we hadn’t enough wine for them all.
The bed was too comfortable which meant we stayed there all day thus missing out on museum visiting.
The view was too pretty and I felt envious because at home I look out on a brick wall.

I will never stay there again.

2 Likes

Aren’t people the least bit embarrassed about posting stuff like this?

2 Likes

When it comes to “too many wine glasses,” you know the guest wants to complain but can’t find anything to complain about. As for dog fee, you are not obliged to give guests reading lessons. I would refer the matter of the dog fee to Airbnb for them to back you up, which I am sure they will as it is clearly stated in your ad.

2 Likes