Competitor using my photos on their listing

I’ve been busy with my son’s 30th birthday, I do have a life outside of property. I’ve had no response from Air BnB so have no idea what they say about it. Photos still on website, and another classified ad site.

1 Like

When you phoned them did they tell you that someone would be in touch and you’re still waiting for that? As others asked, what country are you in and is it a shared pool? The more info the better - thanks!

Matter now resolved thanks.

2 Likes

You stayed at an Airbnb, purchased it, and then the old host left the listing up?

2 Likes

Yes that’s right. The property was for sale and I stayed there to see what it was like. I bought the property and after settlement the old owner would not take it down. I have my own listing.
I sent AirBnb copy of my property purchase and they told me to work it out with the other person. I was not happy the did not remove it.

1 Like

Amazing. I wonder what benefit the person thought he /she could gain from keeping it in place?

Did your attorney force the issue?

1 Like

Only trying to ruin my reputation.
I haven’t gone down the lawyer path yet but need to.

2 Likes

It seems pretty pointless, doesn’t it? If they are trying to ruin the reputation of a bone fide member, then I’d definitely use the legal route - and pester Airbnb.

1 Like

How was it resolved?

2 Likes

I contacted the owners of the apartment. The agent told me the owners had given them the photos. Theyve now hot the agent to remove them. Property also been taken of ABB at their request.

1 Like

Have you checked to see if they are on VRBO or other platforms and using your pictures there?

Yes, and they aren’t.

3 Likes

One time one of our neighbours was using one of our exterior photographs from our listing on his VRBO page. It made his place look much better than it really is with the best view in the entire place (our view).

I said nothing.

But I did used to speak to his guests and just about every one was disappointed by the place as they’d thought they were getting the apartment with the fabulous view instead of the parking lot view.

He got a few bad reviews then decided STR wasn’t for him. This was the same person who said that the place is ‘a fifteen minute stroll to the beach’ when it’s a brisk half hour walk.

False advertising just doesn’t work.

1 Like

If someone can’t write their own listing or take their own photos how are they going to handle actually running the rental?

1 Like

I suppose the point is that they can’t. Sometimes I think that people steal photographs to deliberately be deceptive. Sometimes they might steal text because they are too lazy to write their own. And deceptiveness and laziness are problems that is going to put paid to their hosting career very soon.

I tend to think that these people are those who think that STR is a good way to make money with no work (hahaha) and are soon disillusioned.

I understand that for many people, probably most of us, it’s natural to want to exaggerate our rentals’ attractiveness to some extent but it just doesn’t work in this business.

2 Likes