Company for an elderly host, and her gratitude

Dear Astralita, I had 2 guests in for Saturday and then they asked for an extra night–ie New Year’s Eve which I wasn’t expecting! They brought in an Indian take-away with extra for me, I provided Prosecco and Mince pies, we had a lovely evening and toasted in 2018!! So instead of a lonely evening when all the world was celebrating, I had good company. Oh yes–I will be 82 next week, have been doing B&B since 1986 and Airbnb since 2013.

13 Likes

Happy 82nd Birthday to you next week! So far, we read here that you and I are the oldest hosts, in age, on our forum. And I declare you our special, lauded matriarch!

What a delightful evening you and your guests created for a New year celebration. Clearly you are a warm and generous host, and your guests are lucky to have chosen your nest for their sojourns.

May all blessings come your way.

4 Likes

Wow @Annette_Tenby_Flower

I love Tenby and not too far from you just over the border in Bristol

Have you got a link for your place you could send to me by private message?

Thanks

Lovely to hear from you, I think part of the reason that I continue is
the guests I have!! I am in North Wales and I think you are in Canada? I
am visiting a fellow host and friend in USA in June, Mary

1 Like

Haha Interesting. I’m 77 and still mitering corners, but I only have a small, single room that I rent in my small space. I never thought about others doing the same work at the same moment, but now I will!

2 Likes

Cheers, Courgi! You rock! :innocent::+1::clap:

1 Like

Hey Ginny,

You were born a year before me, so you’re a whole 12 months wiser and I just bet your mitered corners are neater than mine!

So, we have me ay 76, you at 77 and our Courgette at 82. How blessed we are!

Courgette is still our reigning matriarch, unless someone else chimes in to grab the crown.

Sending big wishes for a super year, from Canada.

3 Likes

Oh, no fair… I thought I was the forum matriarch and I’m a mere stripling of 70 (actually 71 tomorrow). I think we golden oldies appreciate being able to do productive and interesting (if not always easy!) work well beyond retirement age. I particularly enjoy meeting the many young couples who have stayed with us… millennials often get a bad press but on the whole our young guests have been lovely!

4 Likes

Wow, I’m thrilled to see that and so I feel in great company with some over 70’s. I’m in Santa Barbara, CA and I’ll be watching for my mitered corners ladies here!~!

Ginny

2 Likes

Actually, just had my birthday on the first, so I may not be a whole year older than you, but yes, Courgette is definitely our reigning matriarch. Happy 2018 to you, too! Santa Barbara, CA

Happy birthday tomorrow, then…younun! LOL Yes, we are proud to continue doing productive work and beyond the standard retirement age! I do enjoy this business most all of the time, since I just have one single room in my home to rent.
Ginny

Despair not, child of but seventy summers!

if you coveted Shirley Temple’s curls and later deemed Dylan to be our prophet, sang along with Joplin and Jagger and cried after Kent State, we are honoured to have you on the
Silver Sagacity team.

5 Likes

I’m a few weeks from opening our Airbnb…and have joined this lovely group as a 75 year old (also), to be 76 in April. Glad to hear my age cohort is well represented in this group. We’ve rented two properties for 14 years… our former home, a 5-bedroom house near an area university to five college students at a time and also our one bedroom garage apartment to singles or couples (on the property where we currently live)…Renting has been a great experience. Now, the garage apartment is becoming our Airbnb after a major remodel. I’m learning everything I can about Airbnb Hosting…or, the hospitality business… prior to opening, with the goal of being 5-star…and I am excited about doing this,(along with my 82 year old husband who is working on this new endeavor too, specializing in his areas of expertise). I also currently run a figure drawing program in my art studio for up to 14 artists, and participate in the leadership of our local Urban Sketching group by finding us venues for gallery shows. Thanks to all who’ve taught me a lot about Airbnb, so far, on this Forum and elsewhere online…and from all the Airbnb’s around the U.S. that we’ve rented ourselves. Happy New Year to all, from two newbies in Washington state…(about 45 minutes S.E. from Seattle,and 10 minutes east of downtown Tacoma, in Puyallup WA.)

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum. I think you will find us to be very helpful. As a relatively youngster at 60, I’m inspired to read the posts from those who are still going strong.

Thank you for the welcome…K9KarmaCasa, and also thank you astralita12 for the idea of: all around the world we are working at the same time on our Airbnb’s. I also love the title “Silver Sagacity” . Both of those are ‘mental keepers’ for feeling jolly…which is a very good thing in my book: So, thanks for both!
Frances

2 Likes

I thought of this thread when I was making hospital corners yesterday. :laughing:

2 Likes

[quote=“konacoconutz, post:3, topic:19543”]
I wouldn’t call 76 elderly at all! Clearly you are young at heart! Besides 76 is the new 56 [/quote]

At 42, my son said I am ‘a middle aged woman at 50 you will then be elderly’ noice

2 Likes

Hello young lady…I happened upon your post,and just had to pop in. I just started hosting in Jan at the slightly older age of 83. Like you I appreciate that I am physically able to take care of guests much younger. Meeting new people and learning about their lives has been wonderful. I have always enjoyed keeping a nice home and have always welcomed friends and relatives.
Isn’t it fantastic that at our age we can take on a new venture and get paid (not too well) but enough. The good reviews are almost payment enough. Keep on doing what you enjoy at least until you reach my age. Lol

5 Likes

What city are you in? Hubby and I head north across the border fairly frequently.

Thank you for your uplifting and encouraging comments! I just signed on to this forum and yours was the first I read. I’m about to sign up as an airbnb host within this week, I think, and you’ve spurred me on! Thank you.

2 Likes