Community Consequences of Airbnb: Excellent Working Paper Survey of Regulations & Effects of Airbnb

What did the luggage decontamination consist of?

Putting the luggage on the luggage table and spritzing them with the same sterilizer (Steramine) as was in the foot bath.

The funny part is that the luggage had been in the taxi with the guests for about an hour after leaving the airport, and THEN it was decontaminated before being brought into the house - but the guests didn’t have to change their clothes or shower before entering the house.

1 Like

Yes, so much of it was Covid theatre, with no rhyme or reason. I just loved how in some of the small stores or businesses I needed to go into, the employees would quickly pull up the masks that were down around their necks when a customer entered. Uh, duh, guys- you’ve been in here breathing your breath into this space, so if you have Covid, the entire place is contaminated- putting the mask on only when someone enters only has value if the person entering is infected and you want to protect yourself.

While I appreciate the effort to understand the impact of STR platforms and any efforts that actually cites its work, this an ultimately a really unfortunate paper on review: extremely one-sided in the nature of it’s cited research and with very little reference to the rise of housing prices more generally that has has proceeded independent of STR platforms like AirBnB.

It’s unfortunate because it will undoubtedly become cannon fodder for small town municipalities looking for evidence for the creation of heavy handed zoning bylaws and ordinances claimed under the guise of community standards, but with clear intent of shutting down short term rentals or taxing them into oblivion. In reality, if such municipalities really wanted to “preserve the character of their neighborhoods” or attack out of control housing costs they’d put equivalent bans on out of state second homes and try relaxing their zoning laws, but those things exactly get people to show up for a 3 hour town meeting, does it?

Here’s another perspective on the impact of STRs to housing costs, from what may well be the most touristy destination in western world:

https://www.grassrootinstitute.org/2022/04/uhero-is-my-new-housing-policy-hero

1 Like