Coffee pot investment?

I don’t like the waste of the K cups but several guests told me one would be nice for single cups. I might watch for one on sale.

I truly do not understand this. If we want to do our part to reduce the plastic wastestream, we have be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Saying it bothers you, yet going ahead and choosing to provide single use plastic seems insincere.

It’s not like it’s something one has no choice about, there are plenty of alternatives.

Guests think lots of things would be nice. Does that mean we have to provide them all?

We offer refillable K cups–no plastic waste. We leave a cannister of freshly ground coffee and 4 refillable K Cups. We show them where to empty the grounds (as we compost). Every guest has remarked on how delicious the coffee is and how nice not to throw away more plastic.

4 Likes

Here’s what I bought as refillable K-cups for my personal use:
6 reusable kCups and 180 filters for $18US

We don’t have a Keurig at the property we rent out - the local stores don’t carry KCups (Caribbean island). Instead, I have a single-cup pour-over coffee maker (Melitta pour over) that’s easy to use and does not require any machine (other than a way to heat water). It’s also sturdy and not easy to lose or throw out compared to the reusable kCups.

Can you explain how a Keurig is anything different from a Melitta filter if you use refillable cups? It seems to me it’s no different- the water goes through the coffee and through a filter and into the cup. Why have a Keurig machine taking up space on the counter when you could just boil a pot of water?
What am I missing?

1 Like

Pros of the Keurig with reusable cups and filters: useful in case guests bring their own pods. Looks fancy and expensive.

Cons of the Keurig with reusable cups and filters: most guests aren’t familiar with the reusable cups and filters; rather messy; requires some dexterity when most people aren’t very awake; cups get thrown into the internal bin and have to be “rescued”; reusable cups are rather fragile; machine takes up space on the counter; machine may break down; IMO makes a poor cup of coffee; reusable cups and filters are more expensive per use than the pour-over system.

That’s why I don’t have a Keurig for our villa. I got the reusable Kcups when I worked in an office that had a Keurig but didn’t provide the pods.

1 Like

Thank you for that. Seems I wasn’t missing anything. :wink:

The whole point of the machine only makes sense as a system that uses disposable pods. (which I heartily object to) Otherwise just for show and no different from any pour over coffee method.

3 Likes

You weren’t. I think it’s worse than a pour-over even if you don’t care about the plastic waste.

1 Like

I want this one!!! How cool!

“Designed by Alfonso Ianelli (1888-1965), a designer in the early to mid-twentieth century best known for his consumer product design and collaboration with Frank Lloyd Wright on his 1914 Midway Gardens project early in his career.”

There are new production models available

3 Likes

We have a Keurig in the rental with a small selection of pods. We used to have a Mr. Coffee but it was really a mess with grounds all over the place. Same with the French Press. Note that if you put out 20 pods, guests will take them all when they leave.

1 Like

This is our set up, pretty simple, manufacture instructions in drawer as well as hand written instructions by me. There is also an arrow inside the lid to direct where the water goes for the coffee, I know right, some just don’t get it. We supply fresh cream in the refrigerator. I cannot deal with Keurig garbage, just cannot deal with those pods. I put a paper filter into the cone with each new guest, had to get rid of the reusable metal filter as the guests would use both the paper and the metal on and then it overflows all over the place. Soooo, in conclusion I would keep it simple but I would love to stay in a place with a fancy machine…coffee is my first love.

2 Likes

Very occasionally guests will take all the pods. As in once in 4 years of hosting. However, we’ve also had guests buy their favorite brand and leave the extras. It doesn’t quite break even, but we buy a lot less pods than I guessed we would need.

1 Like

the freshness of the grounds is part of it. once they are sealed they retain that freshness, whereas grounds you buy in the supermarket will age.
also, the extraction method of the Keurig (nespresso) is similar to an espresso machine. you get a proper crema with these machines. you do not get that with a drip filter.

1 Like

not sure i agree but each to their own.

1 Like

I love it (she said sarcastically) when you try to shame folks for making decisions for the best for their guests.

When 2 out of 3 guests ask if you have a Keurig because they travel with their own pods and are particular about their coffee in the morning (something I deeply appreciate), you go out and buy a Keurig. You also go out and buy the little refillable pod and tiny paper filters so they can use your coffee, too.

You know better - each host makes their own decisions and shaming or deriding them for that isn’t cool. And you didn’t shame anyone else who said they provide Nespresso or Keurig.

2 Likes

Not sure where you live, but Facebook Marketplace usually has tons of them for sale. Mine was $60 for the single use mini, the 4 drawer storage, and 80 pods. It is pink and I wanted that because it fits my home.

2 Likes

@casailinglady

I can’t get quote function to work. You mentioned getting a Facebook market place deal on a Keurig. I think that’s the best way to go.

I went for the next best. My area has Big Lots, discount retailer. During their storewide 25% off sale I purchased a new stock but it was an older model so highly discounted.

The pods were discounted under the 25% off sale too.

1 Like

For sure, the coffee itself is a major factor in the tastiness of the brew, regardless of the coffee-making method.
A cup of cowboy camping coffee made in a saucepan over the fire, with fresh, high quality grounds, is going to taste better than cheap stale grounds put through an $800 coffee machine.

I am eyeing up a Nespresso as it looks like the type of machine I would want to use when we stay there.

Fly fishermen make up 90% of our guests and they like to come off the creek for a quick warm up. And the design is attractive enough that I don’t mind it sitting out.

While I am sure it will happen eventually, no one has cleared me out of anything except condiments.

1 Like

I think Nespresso looks very chic and the coffees are delicious.

1 Like