Clogged toilet in guest bathroom

Are you able to have the guests use a different bathroom; one where the pipes only go downhill and aren’t so long?

Hi @EllenN,

There’s another bathroom available (really two half bathrooms), but not what one would call nice - it’s mentioned in my listing. But I didn’t include photos. It’s like a backup, for when there are problems with the main bathroom, and guests are free to use it anytime.

There have been people using that bathroom more or less continuously since May, and this is the first time I’ve had toilet problems. And the plumber said that the problem has been building up over some time. Other than altering the plumbing, which is apparently impossible, the only other option is to clean the pipes regularly. Fortunately, as you can see, that is not too expensive. Though unpleasant work.

The problem with cleaning plumbing pipes regularly is that over time it damages the pipes. If you feel you must have your guests use the bathroom with the quirky plumbing; if I were you I would get fast dissolving toilet paper. Here is a link. I know that you can’t get the same products via Amazon in India. I’m including this link to familiarize you with the product.

Hi @EllenN,

Why does cleaning pipes regularly damage them? In any case, pipes aren’t expensive to replace here, fortunately. Thanks for the link. I’m not sure if toilet paper was the problem. It might have contributed to it.

Keep it simple everyone! A plunger. Have had experiences in short term rentals for over 13 years. Many blocked toilets. 99.9% of the time, the plunger works. Cheap and effective solution.

1 Like

I believe that a plunger will be less effective with pipes that are long and go uphill.

The pipes aren’t that long. I could post a picture of the pipes that caused the trouble. They’re in the open.

One clogged drain typically means that something is obstructing the flow of water. However, if multiple drains in your house are clogged, then you probably have a problem with the sewer. This becomes especially apparent if different types of drains, such as both the sink and the shower, are stopped up which causes issues like drain pipe boring south jersey, drain repair south jersey, sewer line repair,etc. If their is some major problem in it then you must call for some plumbing help.

Not all toilets are equal. I happened to watch a tv show in 2004 which showed toilet testing with soybean paste faux poo. There had been many complaints about the new 6 litre toilets not working with one flush. The next year I needed a new toilet. Taking the printed list of top performing toilets, I went to Home Depot, only to find they didn’t stock any of them. I found an independent store nearby that not only stocked the top toilets, but had them priced below Home Depot. So if you are spending money and time to fix your toilet it could be you have a bad one. Check out this web site that tests toilets if you Ned to buy a need one. http://www.map-testing.com/consumer-household-toilets/

1 Like

that’s so interesting. I always thought those were for women’s special issues. I remember when we rented a place in London, and my 4 year old walked in and said “Oh! A sink I can reach!”.

Great!! We have terrible luck with toilets.

Of course, once, it wasn’t luck. My new son, 12 and newly adopted from China, decided to clean the bathroom for us and went to town. We found out $350 and quite a mess later that he was flushing all the paper towels. Especially ironic as it took us quite awhile to teach him to flush the toilet paper, as they don’t in China.

I’ve never seen a blocked toilet and pray it never happens to me !

1 Like

Are you talking about toilet seat bidets? I have had one for many years and love it. My nephew came out of the bathroom saying how much he liked having his bottom blow dried!