Cleanliness standards

I’ve seen some super trashy places in New York, where the host doesn’t even bother to clean up for the photos. Who knows howw bad they are in real life?haven’t actually stayed in one yet.

My guess is it’s more common in cities like NYC and SF, where rents and hotel rates are sky high. People seem to put up with it to some degree.

Look at this listing which was just posted on Reddit:

I can’t believe they are seriously trying to rent that room. They are just trying to get their 2.5 minutes of internet fame.

1 Like

The host does have normal sounding feedback for a different address. Maybe her account was hijacked?

1 Like

I’m always under $100 for a private apartment with full kitchen in rural Hawaii next to our own bay with snorkeling. Do you feel like that is a budget price? Just curious, as I really could not get away with asking more. Wish I could! Right now I can’t give it away at $79.

I have no idea if you are charging a low price. It depends on the pricing in your area. San Francisco has the most expensive housing in the U.S., so it’s reasonable to expect that Airbnb listings in the desirable areas will be expensive compared to other places in the U.S. Also, you’ve mentioned that your listing is remote, that guests have to pick up groceries on the way, that they need a car, etc. No place in the middle of San Francisco could be described as remote and as public transportation is good, you don’t need a car.

1 Like

SIgh… me too. I droped my price to no belief, but season hit us and alll i have to do is wait for october again:)
Kona, prices in SF on AIr make no sense to me. WHy on earth i would rent a room in someone’s house without even private bath for 150$ a night? If there are 4 stars hotels for the same price?I am like you prefer to stay in hotels, and go to AIr if only price is much cheaper. All i need is a place to sleep and shower, i am out all day. I dont need cooking or other amenities.

1 Like

O my god, i think its a Joke!!
She cant possibly…

Omg. That place costs twice as much as mine. Mines clean and tidy though.

Got to be a joke or they want to be on TV.

I think the below shows why Airbnb rentals are so high in San Francisco. Because of the geography there are a limited number of buildings and it is a very popular destination.

As of February 2016, average apartment rent within 10 miles of San Francisco, CA is $3770. One bedroom apartments in San Francisco rent for $3096 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $4126.

I know… My daughter lives there and pays 1200$ just for a room . I was comparing Air prices with hotels. It was basically the same . Very high

This reminds me of a meme…

1 Like

Looks like dog house:)

1 Like

@Yana_Agapova There are multiple issue with SF Air BNB, one is real estate is VERY high the average studio in SF proper, not the bay area, but SF rents for about $3200 and to buy is about $1500/square foot. The second is we have a huge hotel shortage, and when we have any major conference, which is basically twice a month, the hotels are literally sold out and offer normal rooms at the Holiday Inn for $800. The third issue is host here can get more than low hotel prices, and therefore aren’t that concerned with what hotels are doing. That include me. We average $400/night year round, even when like you mentioned the Fairmont is $180, some people want an entire apartment. (PS we live 4 blocks from the Fairmont so you were in our neighborhood! Next time coffee or wine is on me) The hotel prices fluctuate very drastically day to day, so many people are not interested in hotel hoping and would prefer a solid stay at an Air.

I absolutely agree there needs to be some basic cleanliness standard, but I also think guests needs to adjust expectations. If you book a Motel 6 price point you are not getting the Fairmont experience, and I think that holds true with Air as well. Should your bathroom been clean 10000% but should it be clean with a bathrobe waiting, for $100 probably not.

About the legalities, I was making a roundabout point, that a lot of these illegal, fly under the radar Airs don’t really give a crap about anything other than making money.

@konacoconutz See my response to Yana. We live in VERY different worlds and I think trying to compare your amazing rural Hawaii to SF is apples and oranges. My thought of a budget price is looking at hotels.com or Air and seeing what the average is for that area, and then anything drastically below that average screams budget to me.

@EllenN Within 10 miles of SF actually takes you outside SF proper, the actual city itself is 7 miles by 7 miles with the ‘good’ parts taking up closet to 3 miles by 3 miles. I know people who would literally give their first born to find a one bedroom for $3100 in SF.

2 Likes

That’s s pretty neighborhood! I did my everyday excersize walking up the hill.
I am a traveler and I know how it is with hotels, stayed in thousands of them. I know what you mean by expectation, mine are very low. in Latin Ametica I stayed from 12$ hotels to 150$, and of course I did not expect them to be alike.
But even 12$ hotel though on a low level was decent, with some cleanliness issues but not what I saw in SF.

1 Like

You probably walked past me once or twice!

That HAS to be a joke right?

I looked at the hoarder’s room calendar and the room isn’t available.

Haha fully booked for the next 20 years :wink: I mean it is a dream place to stay.

(You mean “nightmare” right?)

Actually, she has really good reviews for her other VR(s?) so I wonder what’s her gig with this ad. It looks too real to be staged.