Cleaning hacks?

Only washable cleaning cloths here - and plenty of them. I don’t reuse the bathroom ones on any other surface, though - I just chuck them in the laundry bag when I’m done and take them home to wash.

1 Like

Apparently, it’s a standard manufacturing process to put the tags in the upper left/lower right corner of fitted sheets.

I empty the trash first, this way you can wipe out wastebaskets/trash cans when you go around the room. My cleaning apron has a pocket with a ziplock sandwich bag lining it ; any bits and pieces I pick up after the trash has been removed goes into the apron. Saves TONS of footsteps.

(Can you tell I’ve been cleaning today?) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes…my sincerest apology.

Kitty… I agree that cupboards should be checked for dirty items that previous guests may be not cleaned the best or put away dirty. One of my tips is to sit down on the floor and in a chair and view the scene. You will be amazed at what you can see that was missed in your cleaning. The cobweb unseen in a corner or that bit of whatever that somehow got missed even though you vacuumed or wiped down. One thing I have gotten in the habit of is looking up, down and from all angles. I do use fragrance free soaps and dryer towels but my other cleaners are not but not overpowering and run an ionizer to try and eliminate any lingering smells in the home. I would rather smell a cleaner than a plug in that just masks smells… personal opinion. Isn’t great we can all be different and still get a long.

Any hacks about re-filling Swiffer bottles with less chemically stuff and reusing? The commercial product leaves a lingering “cleaner” smell and actually makes me cough. Also reuse means less plastic thrown away. If I experiment, I’ll report back.

yes! changing perspective is such an important tool. My cleaner sits on the toilet and looks around the bathroom - to discover things that have been overlooked.

1 Like

Good idea with the ziploc! I’m sticking one in my apron!

I’ve posted about this before, but this seems like a good time to say it again. Be wary of cleaning products. I once spent a week staying in and cleaning a very small, very dirty apartment and afterwards I lost my sense of smell completely.
There is research which says cleaning products are particularly dangerous for women:

3 Likes

We also have the Speed Cleaning book as well as the aprons. :slight_smile:

1 Like

On your check out instructions, make sure guests:
Wash their dishes
Put used towels in one place
Possibly strip the beds (although I don’t do that)

Go at different times of day too if you can. I was once horrified when going into our rental in the early morning when the guests at had to leave at a crazy hour to get their flight (to Russia). I sat on the sofa and the rising sun coming through the windows highlighted a very dusty area under the credenza that looked perfectly clean under non-sunrise conditions.

5 Likes

As discussed in another thread I’ve gotten a robot vac that goes under most of the furniture in my home that is up off the floor. The amount of dust and hair (even in the Airbnb room that doesn’t have all the dog hair the rest of my home does) that it’s picked up in the last week has been truly astounding. It’s been worth every penny so far.

5 Likes

I’m just amazed at how AFTER regular vacuuming, the debris bin is full of little pieces of grey fluff I think from between the bedframe legs and the baseboard or the crevices between planks … it’s gratifying to see how much cleaner a room becomes esp. if you have PETS.

2 Likes

Coincidentally I ordered a steam machine last week and it arrived today. I’ve just experimented with it this afternoon but I think I’m going to like it. Not only do I like the idea of not using various products, invariably with a scent I don’t care for, but I don’t like exposing the dogs I care for to more chemicals than necessary.

I had a “steam mop” that I didn’t really use because it was so limited in it’s functionality.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C44DM6D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

I have a steam mop with a handheld detachable part and I love it. Too bad it can’t steam laminate flooring.

1 Like

Top to bottom rules!

It’s not just the look. It’s how it smells. Places look cleaner when they SMELL cleaner.

Add a sprig to say you care. A spray of carnations or flowers from the garden along with a handwritten welcome note.

Hero doing a particular area each go around. Deep clean floors inch by inch and then wax. Wash curtains another. Next week it’s touch up painting. Or the garden.

Yes, for those who are tempted to vacuum twice, I recommend a robotic vac. I have the same one, Ecovacs Deebot, but I don’t use it for primary vacuuming, rather for supplemental. Great for picking up hair. If I have some days between guests, I might send it around a few times, as I did this week after very dirty guests with kids.

Any thoughts on Dyson or other brand cordless vacs?

Sorry, no. Not experienced in those.

1 Like

My mom has a cordless dyson and isnt impressed at all. Low suction and crap battery life for the amount it cost.

2 Likes