Cleaning hacks?

The one in the video is the DC-something, I believe.

I don’t want guests to strip the beds! I can find and mark any stains or areas that may need extra attention easier when the sheets are still on the beds.

5 Likes

I purchases an inexpensive wire cart to which I added some little baskets for each floor in my house. I use it just like a hotel cleaning cart. It has all my cleaning supplies, new registration cards, refill items that can fit (Coffee pods, etc). Just keep cleaning supplies well separated from any food. Totes work well for that. I had to stay small so they would fit in my closet. If I had more room I would have gotten one big enough for linens.

An inexpensive steam mop works great for hard floors and I can just machine wash the pad for each cleaning. I’m trying to get away from all my handy but expensive disposable cleaning dusters, mop heads, etc.

I have a different color scheme of sheets and towels for each room so I can quickly tell what belongs where. That’s also useful if anyone is trying to help.

We don’t charge a cleaning fee since we do it all ourselves. However, you might add a fee or increase the one you have to hire some help.

1 Like

I had one but don’t like it. The pad was just too small. I got a bigger steam machine with a lot of attachments and high pressure that I like better.

If anyone would like my steam mop, come over and pick it up. :slight_smile:

Me too, it’s harder than I thought it would be.

Sorry to keep badgering you about the Dyson vac, but…

DO you have to wire it separately, or does it just plug in to an electric outlet?

I just picked one up at a yard sale for $8. I guess I really needed it because after over a month with 4 dogs and 2 cats total it got so dirty that the washable pad didn’t come clean with the wash.

Hi Mandi,

To charge it, you just plug it into a regular outlet. I have mine sitting on an unused part of the kitchen worktop in my own apartment. It came with a bracket to wall mount it but I never got around to doing that. Then to use it, I just take it to the rentals and use it cord-free.

That’s a good measure of how much they are worth. LOL. In a home with no pets maybe they are okay. I’m always amazed at how dirty my mop is in the airbnb room after a one night stay and no pets. I certainly understand why people want shoes off in a home. I just can’t do it here.

3 Likes

O.M.G.

Somehow I missed this when you first posted it, and just found the same tip over @ Reddit … AMAZING!!! Even with cataract surgery on both eyes, due to remaining issues with my vision, I have been to a greater or lesser extent kind of going over and over areas in hopes that they are 100% clean.

Yesterday I wore my headlamp (I’ll link below) and it took ALL the guesswork out, I could see every last little fiber out of place on the pillows, tiny wipe-up smears on dark tile, ALL the little bits of dust in the corners of the stairs. NOW I have confidence I can clean to a 5-star standard consistently.

P.S. I got the headlamp for working on lights/wiring in the basement if the power was off, it is great to get another use for it.

https://www.amazon.com/UST-20-12452-Headlamp-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B07GTNW3ZL/

4 Likes

Same! Have also often found that stripped beds and bundled towels are hiding significant stains. Must be a residual childhood thing…“if I hide it, maybe they won’t notice”… lol

Our sheet sets had the tag in the lower right corner/upper left corner…but then the same brand and manufacturer moved it to the other side after last purchase. Now we know which sets are older.

1 Like

A couple more cleaning/maintenance “hacks”:

Hydrogen peroxide removes blood…like magic. (Was just shown this by a cleaning pro).

Told to me by a plumber:

Pouring half a bottle of dish soap into toilets can ease paper clogs. We now do this regularly.

Mixing a cup of baking soda and a cup of vinegar into a drain and chasing it with a pot of boiling water can clear out gunk in the drains.

I also bought this little thing:

and it is CRAZY how much hair can be in drains! Totally gross what comes out, but it can prevent snaking further down the line and/or expensive plumbing visits.

2 Likes

Here’s the first time I posted about it. I don’t don’t know if I was the first to post about it but I do know I’ve been mocked several times for advocating it’s use along with sticky rollers and black lights.

I actually got mine for camping but then realized I could use it for lots of things, any kind of work in dim spots. Much easier under the hood than plugging in my dad’s old vintage work light. My second discovered use is with the dogs. Nail clipping, ear cleaning, and the very occasional flea or tick hunting. Third use is house cleaning, but not so much my part, just the airbnb.

1 Like

Those things are AMAZING. Disgusting as all get out to use, but, daaaaammmnnn do they do the job!

1 Like

Use only blue dawn for doing dishes it keeps the pipes clean, prevents clogs.

RR

2 Likes

I eliminated 90% of dirty dishes by rearranging the dishes and pushing all the paper cups and paper plates to the FRONT of the cabinet, they will use that instead of porcelain. You might want to start at one end of the room and work your way around;dont get sidetracked.Make sure you have ALL cleaning supplies with you so you dont waste time. I switched out towels in bathroom from white to dark grey.I dont have to waste time scrubbing stains off whites.I also have patterned grey sheets. Do one final walkthru with a Dustbuster and strong flashlight to pick up hairs etc that you might have missed…

Another thing I do I tell guest NOT to strip bed, I need to quickly find stains, when I do I put a piece of painters tape on it so I can quickly locate it when I’m in the laundry room.

2 Likes

Oh dear. I know that water is probably as clean as water from the faucet (which is what I use) but I just can’t get rid of the creepies I feel knowing that some Airbnb somewhere (hopefully in the middle of nowhere that I’m planning to visit) is being cleaned with toilet bowl water.

I just finished scrubbing the house down and still feel there is another day to go. Have been Ill w those infernal blood pressure pills. The house had it coming.

New hack is a Dyson clone! Yowza!

Next is waxing floors and running around w touch up paint, window washing, lawn trimming. Aieeeeegh!

A recent guest, who is a host, told me to put Blue Dawn and vinegar in a spray bottle (50/50) and use that to clean the shower and counter tops, seems to work great!

2 Likes