Cleaning fees have turned me off!

Ha ha! You’ve reminded me of a guest who was completely bald on top and I thought Great! But everything below the neck must have been werewolf because… well… y’know. Could have stuffed a small cushion.

10 Likes

Hahaha you just can’t have these conversations with non hosting friends lol

8 Likes

AirBNb also have a Fair Wage pledge, I do not charge a cleaning fee, well it is in my rate, but the going rate around here is $25 an hour so $15 would be about 35 minutes, does not seem much.

Main advantage I see to a cleaning fee is that you can otherwise offer short term stays, certainly somebody I know has a 2 night minimum because it is not worth it otherwise, an alternate would be to charge a cleaning fee.

Definitely! That’s exactly the scenario for me! Minimum 2 nights so that 1 night can pay for cleaning when we can’t clean ourselves. Otherwise my guests will pay $155 per night and $150 for cleaning lol. Don’t think they would be happy about that haha

1 Like

Well you would really hate staying at my place. I charge 85 and I earn every penny of it.

If guests like you think I am overcharging, either for cleaning or nightly rates, they are beyond welcome to book elsewhere.

Many seasoned hosts have learned that guests who grouse about paying the asked for price make the worst possible guests… and in fact, someone we wouldn’t want staying with us at any price.

So please… stick to hostels and campgrounds. But even those might prove too expensive for you.

Or better yet, just stay home.

8 Likes

Steady on! He shed naturally. You know, like humans/animals do?? I have alopecia now and again and lordy, I shed hair like crazy. Because I’m a host myself, I would take lint roll with me and clean up after myself but generally, people are paying to stay in a room and don’t expect to have to do that. I take it as part of the job. I mean, why should I expect to get money for nothing?

We charge cleaning fees for a reason but you’ve annoyed me so much with your Guest rant (this is a hosts’forum) that I really can’t be bothered to explain it to you. We also don’t do other things like hotels such as room service, pillow menu, day spa and concierge. Stop being such a scab, people in Cuba are broke, stay in a hotel and please leave the forum. If I need business advice, which I don’t, I’m fully booked, I’ll consult a professional.

7 Likes

Thank you for expressing how this makes me feel with such brilliant articulation, particularly re Cuban hosts.

3 Likes

Damm those pesky Cuban hosts how outrageous of them to live in a country where

how very dare they?

3 Likes

I actually think this OP was putting us on.

And the Mexicans! Laundry for $2! I simply wouldn’t believe it until told…

1 Like

I believe a papaya costs 5 cents. They grow like weeds. Plant one, and within a year or two you get papayas.

In St Lucia, during mango season, you can drive down the main highways and fill up the back of a pickup truck in less than an hour with mangoes that have fallen off the trees that line the roads.

Exactly. In my opinion there are two choices. Example of if it costs me $100 to clean per stay. 2N minimum

1. I could charge $100 cleaning fee per stay. 2N, 5N, 14N, whatever the stay is.
  2. I can raise my rates to accommodate that fee across the days - so on a 2N minimum, it would add $50 per day - there is my $100. If they book for 5N, $250 for cleaning. For a 14N stay, that would be a total of $700 towards cleaning fee.
    I assume my guests appreciate that I only charge the amount for cleaning that it actually costs me - so I believe they appreciate that I use option #1 above, and not option #2.
2 Likes

Omg I need to go there one time for holidays. I love mangoes!!! Haha

1 Like

Mango season in Hawaii is summer. If they are falling off trees they are already overripe. But you do see people with long pickers pulling the fruit off trees lining the highways.

Some papayas are junk ones. They do grow fast as well. I can get one started by throwing a handful of seeds down somewhere but I make sure it is a good quality species so I don’t have another junk one!

2 Likes

Damm I want to be there now rather than facing a night of snowfall and - 2 temperatures.

2 Likes

But it’s CHRISTMAS in England! That sounds so jolly!
I would love me some snow.

Did I tell you we are headed to … wait for it… Helsinki in MArch?? Got a great fare from Kona. $465 RT… Yes really!!!

6 Likes

You know what I hate? Staying in a hotel and getting charged when I use the mini bar! Let’s try to get hotels to “work within the system and create awareness” that guests don’t LIKE to pay for an item or service they want! Hotels created this problem. They need to either eliminate it or create a cap on how much they charge for use of mini bars, like maybe only a percent of the cost! Bahaha!

Cynthia, I think you are better suited to a hotel. Please do us hosts a favor and quit using airbnb. We work HARD to create a beautiful, comfortable and AFFORDABLE alternative to a hotel but since you don’t like paying a cleaning fee, you should either stay in a hotel or find places that don’t charge a cleaning fee.

I have a 2 bedroom, 2 bath home that is 1400+ square feet with a large patio, deck and garden. It takes 3-4 hours to clean my home and I pay my cleaner $100 a cleaning and that is what I charge.

Instead of coming on a HOST forum and complaining about cleaning fees, why don’t you go through the process to get a license to host people, then host for a year and come back and tell us about your experience.

11 Likes

I am no fan of the cleaning fee either. There was an interesting thread about it a while back where many of the pros and cons were discussed but I can’t find it.

You’re all piling on the OP for the audacity to post her/his views on a host forum. I’m tempted to tell them to f*** off and book a hotel, too. But actually I’m more interested in hearing their guest viewpoint than I am in host high-fiving. Kona may be right that they were just a WUM but don’t you think it’s worth cultivating guest opinions and giving people benefit of the doubt? I haven’t travelled as an air guest for ages. How many of the hosts on here have actually been guests as well?

4 Likes

I’m one. I choose based on the total package. If it meets my needs in the price range I want to pay then I book it. I knew even before I was a host that cleaning fee is built into the price unless it’s just a dump that doesn’t get cleaned.

Sure. But maybe a host forum isn’t the place to do it. I know you’re a fan of not censoring/limiting/deleting things on this forum but if we just let this and that go does it cease to be a host forum?

The OP claims she posted because she wants to let us know it’s a BIG issue. Meanwhile the market has no influence? Hosts with plenty of business and cleaning fees have no idea what’s going on? I think Kona was probably right: the OP is just having fun with us.