City of Sunnyvale and AirBnb Laws

I was thinking of renting my place out with AirBnb. I live in Sunnyvale. After doing a little research, i discovered that Sunnyvale city council has enacted an ordinance that says:

“The ordinance, which is aimed at mitigating the impact of short-term rentals on affordable housing, allows hosted-only short-term rentals, requires a permit from the City, and does not extend the policy to mobile home parks. It also regulates a maximum of 4 occupants per night at any given single-family dwelling.”

I see complete houses available in Sunnyvale on AirBnb. Are these people basically breaking the law? Why doesn’t the city just search the AirBnb web site and send these people notices to cease and desist?

Doug.

“It also regulates a maximum of 4 occupants per night at any given single-family dwelling.”

This sounds arbitrary, it’s I have family of five travelling, I have to rent out two places?

From the way I read it, it sounds like the host would have to be living in the house too, in order for the rental to be legal. So if the host has a significant other and one child - then they could only rent to one guest.