City guide series recommendation

Your cook doesn’t need to write it for you. But I guess I will let it go. If between yourself and your cook…I don’t know what it means to be a “cook” in your country…and the two of you cannot figure out recommendations…then I guess it is too troublesome. Especially if you are just renting a budget room.

If you mean specific restaurants, to recommend, definitely not.

Minor side note: for a couple of years, my mother didn’t have a cook, because she thought our cook (the same one we have now) was trying to poison her and/or electrocute her and sacked him. Long story. Anyway, I was in India at the tail end of that period, and we spent some time trying to find a restaurant which (a) wasn’t insanely expensive and (b) we didn’t hate. We never did find one. Eventually I persuaded my mother to hire the cook back. It’s India. Strange things happen. If you’ve read “My Family and other Animals”, it is like a much less fun Corfu.

Maybe we’re excessively picky or something, but there you have it. But the people who pass through here seem quite happy eating outside. But I mostly don’t ask them where they eat, and they haven’t volunteered. Maybe I should quiz them.

Is it normal for people in India to have personal cooks? Why??

Sure, if you can afford one.

One of my favourite books :slight_smile:

If (when) I visit India, the food will be a huge attraction.

Faheem, I have to take a breather from laughing at your replies in this thread. You are in fine form today ~ either that, or I am sitting on a feather. : )

From your description that your area is ‘ghastly’, to mostly just looking ‘vague’ when guests ask you touristy questions, to giving your abusive guest the moniker of ‘Mr. Unstable’ (ha!)…hoo, my mouth was hurting!

BTW, it’s good that you didn’t give Mr. Unstable any info about Indian wrestling, traditional or otherwise, or he might have used it on you during the infamous and dramatic blow-up scene.

I managed to stifle my giggles through your revelation about your illiterate cook who you are certain never eats out but when you mentioned your mother thought the cook had tried to poison and/or electrocute her…I totally lost it!

I’m weak.

3 Likes

@fareem your advertising of Bombay isn’t very flattering, lol.

I get brochures of the local tourist information stand in different languages, but all the guests have only wanted the map and then asked me where to go and what to see. I also have a book of our city in the guest room, but I don’t know if they read it.
(At the moment we’re having a really lovely guest, who is very interested in culture and the local life. Oh, that’s just so wonderful, when you have nice guests! That’s a change after some tiresome people.)

I just welcomed new, wonderful guests this evening. They poured me a glass of wine and we chatted for 45 minutes. I am off-site so this does not happen all that often. I love this couple! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The new moon started yesterday. Perhaps we will all get wonderful guests this week!

Go on @faheem the walk will do you wonders :wink:

1 Like

For me it s important to have tourists advice when i travel including restaurants

Hey,

That could be an entire espisode on the “Real lives of the Airhosts”

Find out what Faheem encounters when he walks 1 mile to his city’s visitor center…lol

1 Like

Hi @SandyToes,

Thanks. I aim to please.

Actually I don’t know whether my volatile ex-guest ever managed to see the traditional Indian wrestling. After initially broaching the subject long distance before we met, he mentioned it again while he was here. But it may not have happened. Apparently his wife was having health issues.

Maybe I should write and ask him.

Hmm. That wasn’t intended to be advertising. Anti-advertising, if you will. I’m always puzzled people choose to come here. I wouldn’t. But usually I refrain from asking them why. And I get to make some money off it, so there’s that. Maybe it’s a modern day version of Dante’s descent into the Inferno. Who knows.

3 Likes

Oh wow, that’s your new slogan: Welcome to the modern version of Dante’s descent into the Inferno!

1 Like