Charge uncle to stay in my airbnb room?

If he was down on his luck and wants to move from Hawaii - he could easily of spent the money he had available for new car on relocation costs for the job he had lined up.

I agree in these circumstances I wouldn’t be looking to have him stay. Can’t you speak to your mum/dad explain the situation and say although you appreciate your uncle is unhappy as they know your own circumstances aren’t great at the moment and that if he needs a break perhaps they can have him stay?

Alternatively he must have other family or friends he can stay with.

This thread is making me really thankful my family lives in town, and that we all like each other and get along. However, we do sometimes have friends from out of town ask to stay. They ask for a couch, which I can gladly offer, but I did give a good friend the AirBnB suite when he was in town for a wedding. He would have been happy with a couch (I stayed on his when I visited him), but I was happy to have a break from hosting.

Sometimes down-on-their-luck local acquaintances asked to stay as well, and I always made an excuse, whether it was hosting “visiting relatives” or we were “making renovations.” We were the first people in our friend circle to buy a house (in 2010, when I was 25 and my partner was 30) so once word got out everyone’s unemployed friend wanted to sleep on our couch. They haven’t asked in a while, thankfully. They have been asking my friend who hosts, though, since they heard she has an AirBnB suite. She says no for the same reason you all do: it would be a loss of income! And who knows if they’d ever leave?

I do hope you mean that is if you CAN “give” and are financially stable to “give” - I hope you are not saying that Irish relatives would drag your name through the dirt because the relative depending on the income would lose their home if they did so. People in my area would do nice kind things for people like cutting lawns and providing dinners out of kindness, but certainly wouldn’t give up their sole source of income so a relative could take a free vacation. And they would willingly barter haircuts and medical advice. I am hoping you are coming from a place where the “barter” would not result in losing a week’s worth of income that someone depends on to live??

I come from an Irish family - if friends and relatives comes to stay, I wouldn’t think of charging them and am quite happy to block out the dates in my BnB calendar.

I never charged them before I started BnB so have no reason to do so now I have started.

However I am not dependent on the income.

I think however the OP’s situation is different as she is dependent on the income and doesn’t know her relative.

1 Like

Almost tempting to take muscle power instead of him paying rent, isn’t it… “Uncle, the guests have checked out, do you mind stripping the beds and emptying the bins please?”

::evil grin::

Haha. Wouldn’t that be a sight!