Changing my hosting style from 1 day min.to long term

We have booked both long and short term stays and prefer the longer term guests despite making less money. We have only 1 suite but having and keeping Superhost status is a lot of work. Our longer term guests have been doctors spending a month or so at the various hospitals here, couples with a 2 year working visa who need a place to find a place, and relocating couples who are trying a new life in a new place (Ireland, USA, other Canadian provinces). Vancouver is a very attractive city with a very low vacancy rate, so we ask long term guests to sign a tenancy agreement so we are both protected by local laws.

3 Likes

Yana, that is so sad that you are lonely. It certainly sounds like you would benefit from long term guests. I donā€™t know where you stand with the idea of corporate housing rentals but if I ever get out of the short-term business, I would go the corporate route.

I was between tenants on one of my long-term rentals when I was contacted by a placement company about renting to their contract employee for a few months. Everything sounded workable and I agreed. It was for a ā€˜travelingā€™ nurse. Her contract was extended and I had her for six months. Following her I had two airline employees for a year and two more contract nurses.

The money is top dollar, always paid on time, they take care of the place and have solid jobs. I would definitely do corporate rentals againā€¦and will once the current tenants departā€¦but they are going on 5 yrs now.

1 Like

Sometimes lonely Sandy, sometimes, when i am all by myself here, its not terrible:). Never lived alone so when i am alone in my house i would rather have guests stay here if my husband is not here also.
I was given few websites for corporate housing here but they all redirect me to management companies. How would you go about it, any useful info?
Wow, 5 years!!! thats so awesome. Yes, i agree, they paid 4500$/ month in off season without negotiating, that made me think may be i gave them low price?
Now these guys love the house. They love the pool and dont want to ever leave. Their job is extended till October and they are asking if i am willing to rent to them till that time. They should see me jump up and down when i heard this:slight_smile.

I had a little confusion with payment. I though they were wiring me money but they direct deposited and i gave them wrong routing number. So, tomorrow we need to clarify it but i see the evidence of them sending, and i dont worry about it.

1 Like

Yana, I think these corporate homestays can be the best of both worlds. When we had a B&B in the UK years ago we had several periods when we had people who were working away from home on short term contracts of a few months. Their companies paid a flat weekly rate but they went home for the weekend usually. We became quite friendly with some of them and were sad when they left and because my husband was also working away from home during the week they were company and security for me.

This wouldnā€™t work in our current place as no-one comes here to work! However, many retired Brits come here in the winter and weā€™ve thought of renting out our apartment to them by the month. Trouble is, we do like having or home back to ourselves in the Winter ā€¦

1 Like

Really happy to hear you have had some nice bookings!!!

2 Likes

Yana, I started the same at the beginning of 2016 - minimum 2 days, and I hiked up the price slighty, Now I donā€™t have quantity, but I most definitely have quality. I am loving it! Every guest this year has been fantastic, the money has been good and Iā€™m not stuck cleaning the room every single day for an hour and running my washing machine twice a day. I have to mention that I am no longer dependent on the Air money, but it sure is nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its so slow here that nothing helps. 2 days did not work for me to get any bookings. One room is rented for a month. ANohter in JUne was only rented for 2 days.This is how bad it is here. I rented to a guy for a month another room since today and i think thats the way to go for me until October when we start seeing some movement here.

I am glad you donā€™t depend on Airbnb income. I do depend on it, and when 8 months long summer is here is tough to keep up.

Are you listed on multiple sites?

Yes, but it obviously does not matter. I am listed on Flippkey, Wimdu, and i just unlisted with booking.com because it was pretty awfull with them. From Flippkey i get big negotiators who never book. From Wimdu i get pictures of sexy girls but no real customers.
We are a seasonal state, tourists come here when its cold everywhere else. Now its humid and very hot, even we locals dont want to be here. Its only if someone came here for work, and these guests always are looking for weekly or monthly rent

2 Likes

Me too. Totally dead. When I did get inquiries I had to decline due to remodeling that I had blocked. Then the contractor moves it on me. But pretty much summer is totally deadā€¦ Not just for me but even the hotels in town. DEAD.

1 Like

I thought people travel in the summer. So that isnā€™t peak visiting time in Hawaii? If not, when is the peak time?

1 Like

Hawaiiā€™s probably got the worldā€™s best weather from November to April. That is our high season. Super high season is from December 15 to February 1 or so.

Just ask Shakira, Beyonce, Britney, Leo, etcā€¦and moreā€¦ they all have houses here or stay at the 4 Seasons. So far, they have not booked the 1 Seasons (my place.) :smile: You should see how many lear jets arrive and are parked during this time of year.

Iā€™m back to backed booked during peak season.

The ocean can sometimes be a bit rougher and surf bigger in winter. But itā€™s ideal most days. It doesnā€™t get better than Hawaii in the winter. Cool, comfortable nights, starry skies, whales, dry gorgeous days.

Summer is nice too. Not horribly hot all the time usually, and quieter, cheaperā€¦ and the seas are PLACID for snorkeling and paddlingā€¦which is what I did this morning, and about every two to three days. :smile:

This is literally my backyard!

4 Likes

Iā€™m not physically able to clean between guests, and getting to know new people exhausts me. I had only one one-night guest before I switched to a minimum of a month. It is working very well for me.

Usually the guests have a specific purpose to be here, so they are not expecting me to entertain them.

Many have an internship or a few months long course of study. They are busy and mind their own business. I put a desk in each room for those who work or study. Also a refrigerator, microwave and assortment of dishes so they can have a late snack or early breakfast without using the kitchen, which would disturb me since I sleep right next to the kitchen.

My most recent guests I only saw a few times in several months, they have everything they need in the room. Obviously I rent for the money, not for the personal interchange or cultural variety. I will chat with guests if they want to. Most of the younger ones are on internet or Skype or their phones with their own friends and family.

I hope you have read all the posts here about squatters and tenants rights that take effect after a certain amount of time, in many places itā€™s 30 days.

2 Likes

I think most people do it for income, even those who can survive without it.
I dont need to have people in my house to learn cultures as i travell plenty for this.
Since i switched for long terms, i had a very good experience so far. I do not have fridge or anything pretty much in
guests rooms, and they are welcome to use kitchen for light cooking, storing or warming up, but anyone hardly does. They work a lot, leave house before i wake sometimes, come home late, and i hardly see them also.
Hope it will work for me, and time of changing beds every day is gone forever. I took my listing off Instant book, and put minimum 4 weeks and i will see what happens.

2 Likes

Donā€™t forget that your taxes are different for a long term vs. short term rental. If you havenā€™t yet looked into that, I definitely would.

1 Like