Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

Cautiously optimistic

This is the opposite of a vent. I just had a no-show. Three nights!
Not one word from them in over a year.
We’re in Canada. They’re Americans, and they booked last year when the stay-at-home order was lifted but the borders were still shut. I had IB on for locals (that’s a vent in itself, but I digress), with no thought that someone would book from away.
It was work getting them to see reason. I sent links, waited for responses. They didn’t want to cancel, so decided to reschedule. When did I think the borders would open? I had no idea. They decided on same time next year and I approved it. All was well.
A week ago, I sent the usual message with instructions and a question. Nothing. My day 1 and day 3 messages were just to get it in the messaging that a stay hadn’t happened.
I know! They will claim Covid – I think they have until the end of May to do that? - - or something and that will be the end of my money-for-nothing. In the meantime, I’m tossing it in the air and laughing.


Can you claim Covid after the fact ?

After the guest doesn’t show and doesn’t communicate? Likely would depend on which CS rep handled the case, like so many other refund requests.

When was the last time that you heard from them. Perhaps something happened that made an Airbnb reservation and messaging thread the last thing on their mind.

1 Like

Yes. I know a host in my area to whom this happened.

I last heard from them a year ago. My messages of concern to them over the last week were not merely (or entirely) “messaging theatre” for the sake of future CS inspection. I have been truly concerned, but without an answer, I don’t know. It was like pulling teeth a year ago to get them to answer/make decisions, etc. I would get messages like, “Yes, I saw your message, but I was thinking about what to do,” days late, while the originally-booked check-in day was looming. It may just not have seemed important to them to answer this time.
We’ll see. I’ll update if I get a sad tale or any tale at all. I won’t get too attached to this easy payout. :wink:

1 Like

@lawre it looks like you did everything right - even sending warnings. They chose to keep your place reserved for them, so you didn’t have any chance of another booking. Therefore you deserve to get your full payout (though I’d likely refund the cleaning costs).

Last fall I got a message from a UK travel agent who had lost lodging for a multi-family trip and was desperate to find a place that everyone would fit in. He wondered if we would guarantee a refund if the guests couldn’t come due to restrictions up to a month prior. I told them I would give a refund only if the dates were rebooked. They didn’t book with us… don’t know what they did.

I actually changed my direct-bookings policies to get a higher up-front deposit and more advanced full payout. We are hosts, not a travel insurance agency. If we block off dates so that nobody living closer can book that time it should be their insurance that covers the cost for changes, not us.

1 Like
Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!