Cats as attraction

One more thing I need to add. So, some cats bite. Some people might be sensitive. I think I will only let guests play with toys not with their hands. Let me tell you a true story that happened to two of my friends, lets call them A and B. So friend A goes out of town for a month. we, friends, were on a schedule to come to the house to feed the cat (Turkish Van). Friend A tires to pick up the cat as she was eating - big mistake - and the cat bit her hand. Friend B didn’t know any better, she’s a dog person. Friend A’s hand started to swell. Friend A, being a nurse, went through all kind of scenarios, went to the hospital, disinfected, took shots etc. She called friend A to ask if the cats vaccination were up to date (which they were) but still. Nothing happened, friend B’s hand became normal but the two of them never spoke with each other again.
Me? I petted stray cats all my life, everywhere I go I find cats from the greek islands to Istanbul to remote Turkish villages and USA. Everywhere. Got bitten many times. Nothing happened to me. But I think I should not allow my guests to play with the hands with my cats, just to be safe.

1 Like

My cat, who I love to bits, loves to bite me!

I’m a crazy cat lady, have five and would easily have more! I love your idea. Please post before and after pictures : )

Where are you? I need a holiday, and have always wanted a parrot! I have a balsa wood collection instead… Many years ago, I had a Welsh Springer Spaniel who made friends with the pub parrot. They would either rush around visiting punters, with the parrot on the dog’s head, or settle together under a table for a rest.

3 Likes

Then again, you wouldn’t evict your furry family members if they did so I think you are right on track!

I miss One and Twocat constantly. So I arrived at a compromise. I put a cat condo in the back for strays, and it’s also a feline throughfare.

We also get squirrels, moles, opposums, and Mr. Skunk (the four legged kind)

2 Likes

I’m in Florida as well and I’m originally a New Yorker but a bit of a gypsy. I was married to a Kiwi for a long time, so some of my speech has changed. I’m just as likely to call a shopping cart a trolley and the boot of the car…

Always play with cat toys, never hands.

I am however rethinking my cat policy. Myself and a long termer adore cats. In my first six months 3-4 people booked but then claimed they were allergic. I caved. But in a convo with a very well reviewed host, they claimed they would not cancel because the guest should have read the listing. Your thoughts?

1 Like

Airbnb doesn’t think guests should read the listing and so won’t back you up. You have to choose your battles.

1 Like

I was born and brought up in England and spent half my adult life there - the rest of my adult life (to date!) in Florida so I get very, very confused language-wise. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We’d be a laugh riot trying to have a conversation after a couple of bottles of wine!

3 Likes

Love this thread! Another cat-lover here. I think you’re on to a winner here @adrienne12 :slight_smile: I like the phrase someone mentioned of a perfect case of making lemonade out of lemons.

I have a cat and he used to be great with guests but he’s got much grumpier as he’s aged and I have to be careful when introducing him.

Not much else to add except wishing you best of luck!

Oh I’m so jealous! They are the most beautiful and agile cats. I’ve lived with cats practically all my life and my wonderful Norwegian Forest was one of the best. She was so independent and yet so loyal. I can still see her now in my mind, lying - almost hanging, as if it were a tree branch - on the back of the sofa regarding me with those gorgeous green eyes.
They are ferocious hunters, though. Be prepared for many gifts :frowning:

3 Likes

I would LOVE to stay at “House of Cats.” I can’t list my cats as an amenity because they hate humans.

2 Likes

I have four pugs in residence. Lots of pics of them in my photos and mentioned multiple times in the listing. But we all know guests don’t read. So when I go through an exceptionally prolonged period of people seemingly missing the fact that dogs do indeed reside here, I change the listing to “The PugBnB.” It always increases bookings for people that need their dog fix when they are traveling.

4 Likes

@magwitch story of my life. My cat here, Tiger is a hunter. Even at age 12, her favorite snack is chipmunk and as much as I hate her doing that she still occasionally catches one and she eats it. The vet said it’s like a Delmonico steak for her. I come home from work and i find a head and the intestines on the deck. She would catch everything if I let her,but my bird watcher friends told me not to let them out in the morning when the birds are active, so I’m only letting them out after i come home from work. I have so many cat stories. I like pugs too… but they kind of drool which is kind of gross, to me…
Honestly i didn’t know that changing your listing title would attract a specific crowd… I changed it because I was pissed at the lady not reading the description and not looking at the pics. But hey, i’m not complaining. My cats got people to pet them and more attention. So my guests can’t have cats in their rental and they’ve been to the cat cafe and they are cat deprived. Told them to go to humane society tomorrow. It’s spring and they must have kittens.

2 Likes

@atHomeinCary hm… that’s a tough one. my friend’s cat hates all other humans except for her mom. however i was bale to communicate with her. she sniffed me, I gave her space, she came back, was curious, she sensed me as no danger, she was ok with me. she let me gently pet her on her head. however another guest at my friend;s house tried to pet her by force or to pick her up… Man, what growls… never heard anything like that… I don’t know how dogs do, but there are people afraid of dogs. I don’t know how you communicate with a dog…
And to answer the question from above, yes, I would let a guest cancel even if they didn’t read the description when they should have. If they have an allergic reaction its going to be the host’s responsibility and I really don’t want any of that. allergies are terrible. i might as well not have to deal with it.

Oh yes, we’re prepared, but The Duchess was a prolific hunter, despite her small size. Many gifts of rabbits, mice, voles, stoats but few birds thankfully. And she cleared the pub’s backyard of rats! They were very thankful.

2 Likes

This a great thread, I have two cats but their photos are at the end. I believe I will make mention right at the top of my description. I do get the occasional guest who rave about the cats. I’ve not had a problem yet with cancellations due to not reading, but when guests arrive I do ask them to not allow the cats in their room as future guests might not want the house cats to be so familiar to come and go in the Airbnb room.
How many cats do you have in residence?
Yes! I saw a cat cafe once when visiting Charleston SC and I didn’t go in, but it looked very busy!

2 Likes