Cat Lady checked in @ 2 am!

I use IB and have had no issue that I think I could have spotted not using IB.

I have a very large dog and I have never had anybody stay with a cat, the two maybe connected. He likes cats but they do not seem to like him.

1 Like

I must say again, I’m not quite up to speed with the must-not-be-in-the-house-during-the-day element. Such an odd rule, that people can stay at your place, but can’t ‘stay’.

4 Likes

It’s nice, Como, that your dog likes cats. Our cat likes dogs - but it couldn’t eat a whole one!

1 Like

Hey Barns,

Okay, from a Bay Area perspective, probably 90 out of 100 regular rentals have some sort of wording that stipulates “you need a job, an agenda, no guests, no cooking”. I know mine is not merely that descriptive, but I can tell you the reasoning stems from “stragglers” people who incessantly “hang around” the house and do not leave. Gamers, huge tech community here that work from home with massive systems that require, sometimes more than normal internet, homeless community (see encampments, tenting beyond normal in absolutely every corner of the East Bay, San Francisco, and as far down as Santa Cruz County).

My ad does not simply state “you cannot hang out all day or stay here but you can’t stay here”

It does say “my place is a good place for you if you plan to enjoy a cup of coffee with your WiFi (among other ideas as well) before heading out for the days activities” not stated exactly but is along the lines.

I am not standing over individual guests. I am not giving any exact times frames you must be in and out of the apartment.

The main idea has been expressed above, to keep the “stragglers” away.

I have lived here 10 years. The rent for a room has risen from $600USD to $3,000USD, structurally moving up $30USD a week. Many thanks to the tech community, the tightening control around rent controlled areas-to absolving most of that, and to Air BNB.

My “spare room” is rather affordable and is very close to our public transit system for travelers.

This is no way to keep people from enjoying their stay while at my place. I don’t mind the lazy lie in. I don’t mind movie watchers. I don’t mind mass orgies per say if that’s what they want to do. I don’t mind smokers, jokers, lovers, educators, students, tech, foreigners, lgbt community, I don’t mind anyone and their lively hood.

There is a very wide variety of people that come to the Bay Area.

We have 1 million places/things/attractions/the ocean/the redwoods/the mountain/insert your ideas here to go out and do. If you come to this area and just want to lounge in the house all day, you are more than likely sick, lazy, or homeless because there is absolutely no reason to sit in the house all day/night.

You simply cannot visit this area and not find “your place” here. Meaning something that interests you to be able to go out and do.

There are many guests that come to party/play one day and then the next need to relax/chill/sleep/rejuvenate.

My ad is worded this way to disinclude those who plan to do nothing while on their stay.

One horror story besides the lady this week who did plan to “do nothing” and “work” inside my home. Regardless of your ideas or opinions around this, I was here and saw her “plans” first hand. She had tried to take advantage of the affordability of my space and leave on rare occasion. (Honed in: “I thought you worked days, or something” her question to me her first hour).

I used to not block out one or two days a week;

I got a 4 and half long week booking where the guest got my place at an even more mass discount for staying over 2 weeks or something to the nature. She (Trans; my ad is lgbt friendly) was moving to the Bay, had no job, was a gamer, and did not leave the house for more than 20 minutes at a time. I live extremely close to a grocery store where she purchased inexpensive food and “cooked” her meals in the microwave. My rented out space doubles as a living room. Ideally, I don’t use the space at all when it is rented. I have all my own amenities in my room, except for cooking means. Her and I got along very well, and side note we are still friends and hang out often for Rationalist meetings which she introduced to me.

Having someone in your home this long did and will drive me crazy. I talked to her about this and she told me she had no plans of leaving at all and I chose to leave the home to get my space. She had also tried to extend her stay but I did not accept. My place is not natzi regime or people would not stay, decide to extend, or become repeat stays. I have several people ask all the time if they can stay again.

I am trying to avoid this type of situation (above). I did not make myslef clear before this situation and had learned through this stay to word my listing the way it is listed today.

I do not make money off of Airbnb on a regular basis. I do it to help on the rent as I am a full time student with veteran benefits. I don’t pay my rent based on air bnb stays. Instead, I indulge in an occasional concert or pay old credit card debt.

My place averages in smart pricing 30-45 a night. A hotel is no less than $100 and travels upwards in cost average $300+ for a normal room.

There are shared rooms for $25USD in my exact neighborhood.

I have not had a homeless person check in. Although Catwoman had a ton of stuff in her car, I don’t believe she was homeless vs. traveling cross country with her cat. I do fear the day I get one due to the low price. The extent of the fear comes from someone poaching the space, stating they live there, and having to remove them through a court system with a subpoena from the sheriff. Which is another reason I block stays longer than 30 days (without written notice they will leave (not try to say this is their place of long term residence).

I hope I’ve made myself transparent.

I’d rather we be constructive, vs. combative through dialect. I understand some things work for one but doesn’t work for someone else.

It is a choice to book my place.

You are renting so I assume you have the permission of your landlord to do Airbnb? . Isn’t it required to register? And aren’t all listings supposed to be registered?
@azreala can enlighten us on SF regs.

Well you are not the owner so you can’t begin an unlawful detainer action should someone obtain tenants rights. Which they can do even if they are staying under 30 days. Landlord tenant laws in California favor the tenant by the way. This is one reason why subletting is strictly forbidden in most lease agreements. I hope you have it in writing that you have your landlord gave you permission to sublet. Otherwise you run the risk of getting booted yourself!

I assume that you are capable of answering you’re own questions with some of your responses above and throughout this forum. I feel like you, as well as a select few others, will pull a completely different issue out of a stated issue to somehow sidewall the issue at hand.

Would you, as a moderator, prefer we send all posts to you before posting publicly?

I do have listings right in the city but this one listing is not, so not registered no.

Not a side issue, but a simple question. And an important one.

You are right in that I admit to having a bias with hosts who sneak Airbnb without landlord permission, sublet in violation of their lease or do Airbnb illegally in some fashion. If you are sneaking, you are putting the owner of your place at profound risk. His homeowners insurance (meant to cover for long term tenants and not commercial activity) could get canceled if your activities are discovered. He has to maintain a place that you are causing undue wear and tear to. There’s a ton of liability involved and he gets no benefit. He may have to answer to his HOA because the neighbors in your building definitely know. Airbnb is not easy to hide.

I’m of the mind that STR should only be done by the owners who are willing to take on that risk.

Most hosts here own or have the explicit permission of their landlord to do Airbnb. There really isn’t room for anything else.

But if you have his/her permission, all good.

4 Likes

@konacoconutz Have you made your way to the Bay? Do you know the number of illegal dwellings that “slum lords” are making available to the public? Do you also realize the amount of money that these “slum lords” are making? I could give you 10 more reasons but like I said I would prefer to stick the issue at hand. You have now made this one thread about three different items different than “cat lady” the same as she did by swapping the issue at hand for a completely different issue.

Specifically; My landlord has done this: (which is a gold mine to me in court) iswrote it into the lease that: “if there are any problems with plumbing, electricity, roof, any thing that pertains to your structure is maintained by the tenant and not the landlord” When I first rented this “structure” I was under the impression that it was a “legal unit” but to the discovery that my one address is actual a “shared” address for three separate “structures” all “hidden” behind a restaurant. Illegal. Per say I am at risk of “getting the boot” any way you want to slap a stigma onto it. There is no running water in the unit. There is no bathroom inside the unit. Both of these items make the “structure” to rent out on the landlords side illegal. Since the amount I pay to him, which is obvious profit only, is three times less than the average rent here; there is no option available that comes close to having a non shared space at this price in the entire Bay Area. Please if you have a structure with a bathroom, no roommates, and a KITCHEN in it in San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, And is under $1200USD a month I will sign my first born child over to you. (My tubes are tied, you crazy ranting antic people who only see this one sentence you) simply used as metaphorical. There is a seriously seriously low shortage of homes here and or affordable at all. Mind you, I would sleep in my car before moving out of the Bay Area, which I have. 4 times in 10 years due to this. This is my choice. I am continuously looking for a unit that accommodates just the basic wash my hands and a** without having to walk 30 feet the do so. The unit itself is not even able to carry insurance. At all. I’ve called, I’ve had agents out to view, not even homeowners insurance is available because it has been illegally built. I can/I will/ take him to court when/if I find something that ensures basic human rights. I am 95% sure I will “win” based on a void lease that stated his duties have been relinquished.

Believe me I don’t want any problems at all. Through creating diologue within this group, I have taken down this listing. I will remain quiet just like the rest of the societal norm when it comes to living in America and there isn’t any domestic issues we are all cozy; fat; eating obviously with the obesity level; happy. Because for the ones out there “who are just trying to make it” while educating themselves for a better future there is that one person who would spoil it for me. (Or you).

Nothing is about unity anymore. People are choosing to divide in conversation, helping others, rent, empathy, you name it…across all platforms for the benefit of self. “Bias” whatever you call it.

(whew!) You’re a full-time student and need to be hitting the books, so…

2 Likes

Ahh the ideal tenant. One who takes the landlord to court.

Still hasn’t really answered the basic question at hand. Did she have permission? I’m guessing not. Turns it into a rant against society and the ills thereof. Before you label me a republican I’ll have you know I was a Bernie delegate to our state convention and we did everything we could to get Bernie nominated.

Beyond that, I was once in your shoes. So don’t lecture me about the challenges the youth face and economic pressures. There have always been economic pressures. Always. Housing has always been pricey. Always. Even in my day as a student, we got roommates or paid the price or lived in the burbs or got two jobs.

It’s not the fault of “greedy landlords,” but more one of supply and demand. But it is my personal belief that We have a nationwide housing crisis because and only because since 2008 to the present, American homeowners lost their homes to foreclosure by the millions, 20 million to be exact! That meant that many millions of former owners were spilled into the rental market scrambling and dodging for housing. I was almost one of them. The five major banks fraudulently stole homes and the judges gave them to them. But that is another post for another day.

I stand by my comment. Airbnb is for owners, not renters who sneak. If you have permission of the landlord, all good. If not, well, at the very least, even if you don’t care about your slumlord, you put YOUR OWN HOUSING at risk! The housing you just told us so hard to come by!

Oh and yes, I know the Bay Area. Lived in Orinda as a child.

As for going off topic, it’s a specialty here and allowed in the forum guidelines. You seem awfully angry, simply because I asked a simple question of you. Thank you for seemingly answering honestly, however.

4 Likes

I’d say your rental is quite unconventional, even for a small shared space in the Bay Area. Personally I’d do a no pets allowed policy rather than hoping people take them with them every time they leave. Some people will not read or follow details like this and sometimes it’s better to just say no.

The idea that, "you need to leave the house for X hours a day” is also really wacky. Generally if I’m renting a space I understand I get the use of it for the full time while I’m paying rent if I need to and I’m not paying rent for 8 or 12 or 16 hours a day use of the space. It’s good you clarified this expectation, but it’s not a normal thing most people expect. Even people who want to be out all day may get sick or have problems preventing them. I’ve gotten sick on vacation before and didn’t want to be out all day because I was tired or needed to recover or sleep.

Also, how does a studio apartment have two “rooms”? By definition a studio apartment is a one room apartment, aside from a bathroom. Is there a privacy sheet or something as a “wall?”

I get that it would be intrusive to have new people in your tiny space all the time and I would rather opt for a permanent room mate who would be compatible because of that rather than trying to sneak in new Airbnb guests illegally every few days.

You’re exaggerating the problems and practices in the Bay area. I’ve lived here for 12 years and I know first-hand. Single rooms in a shared space do not cost $3000 a month unless they are very, very exceptional. A studio apartment might, though. Things are less if you go to the East Bay or elsewhere, too.

For a “free spirit” you seem to rant a lot and have a lot of rules to follow. There are often two sides to a story and yours isn’t very clear or consistent, so I’m not sure what I believe. If your house rules are equally confusing then no wonder guests have trouble following them.

I would never, ever rent a shared space like the way you describe yours for a large number of reasons (including it being shut down on a whim after your neighbors tire of the illegal rental and complain to the city or the landlord), even if the price was very cheap. I’d honestly rather stay in a hostel with well-defined rules and expectations rather than these confusing ones about people needing to have plans while renting from you. I don’t think my personal plans for leaving the house are my landlord’s business. But I understand that some people might be ok with what you’re offering if the price is cheap enough.

Unfortunately cheap prices also sometimes attracts more people who might be living on the edge and maybe some are people you might not enjoy being in your space. Unfortunately, I think you’re in for some more non-ideal visitors as you rent out a corner of your studio apartment like you are.

1 Like