Candle wax removal on vinyl floor?

I saw this cleaning tip on a website. Good to know it works.

1 Like

The ice cube trick works well on chewing gum too.

2 Likes

Household paper roll and an iron on low setting.
Paper down iron on top wax will soak into paper. Start with low setting just enough to just melt wax and adjust. The biggest nightmare is colored wax.

Note for new hosts - if your rental is likely to be used for romantic liaisons provide a few battery-operated candles.

Because we’re very likely to get power cuts here, I had an emergency candle under the sink of our first rental with the cleaning stuff, first aid kit, etc. That was a big mistake because that’s what caused the wax on the sofa.

It’s been battery-operated candles and an emergency flashlight ever since. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My house rules say no burning of candles or incense, because I try to maintain a fragrance free house for folks with allergies (including mine). They also put soot on the ceiling, and are a fire hazard, as well as damaging furniture and floor finishes.

Acrylic finishes used on vinyl flooring are not wax, they are a coating that dries to a shiny finish, and have to be stripped chemically or scrubbed with a brush to remove them. Before you strip and refinished the small areas with wax, the suggestion above to use a warm iron works fairly well. I’ve found that using clean cotton rags usually works well, along with a plastic bladed scraper, or even a table knife with a smooth edge. Then you can easily strip and refinish those spots.

I was going to suggest freezing when I saw your post, it should just chip off!

1 Like

Isopropyl alcohol – regular rubbing alcohol – removes candle wax residue from vinyl flooring. Pour some rubbing alcohol onto a soft white cloth, and then blot the spot with the cloth. If blotting doesn’t work, wipe the spot. Wipe the vinyl again with a damp white cloth afterward, using water in place of alcohol.