Cancellation due to dying mother in law

Maybe i’m a cold hearted monster, but in this case I’d be tempted to reply to the guest “I’d be happy to refund you for any dates that are rebooked by another guest”.

I just got money paid to my paypal account,but I am sure I will lose them if he provides any documentation.Air should have more specific rules for extenuating circumstances.

They didn’t cancel their holiday… they found another place to stay!

I had a few cancellations since I started hosting and even though I have strict policy I refunded guests when they cancelled long in advance.Once I had cancellation one day before check in so I told guest if I can rebook the apartment I will refund him amount I get from new booking,but it did not happen so he lost his money.If they cancel long in advance I do not have a problem to refund them,I always get a new booking.

I will see if they get review from somebody else.

2 Likes

Lucy,

You are not a cold hearted monster. I know some hosts say “it’s the right thing to do” if guest has an emergency. But if a host is dependent on the income, it can be the difference in a huge hardship for them. Even if they are not dependent on the income, it still should be their choice to offer a refund.

I wonder how of many of these guests actually have trip cancellation insurance through their credit card and don’t even know it. But why would Air suggest that since it’s just easier to steal from the host.

1 Like

Seems to be an impression that Air does not support us when guests cancel. I have a strict cancellation policy and it must be every 5th person trying to cancel at last minute lately. I have always referred them to air and never engaged with them on negotiating a refund. “0h that’s terrible, you better contact Airbnb as you have agreed to a strict cancellation policy when you booked. They can help you understand it. I’d call my travel insurance company straight away if I were you & have all your written documents handy, best of luck”. Air has never refunded them once. Excuses included: stranded at airport in transit 4 days, university suddenly changed program 1 day prior to 6 week stay, suddenly called in for military training (yet guest tried to extend the booking the day prior & my room was not available). I don’t believe any of the excuses & nor did Air. My response to them is 1. Travel insurance will cover delay for legitimate reasons, as I’m sure you appreciate I have forgone other bookings and I cannot claim on my insurance got issues at your end 2. Your university will have to meet the costs (as if the most prestigious u I in Australia changed the course while you were on a plane arriving) 3. That’s unfortunate but you must have known you were on call to the Chinese military when you booked.
It’s also amazing that all these guests turned up when I said no except the last one who air refused to refund.

1 Like

They can legitimately get one from the hospital, they provide them all the time for airlines, carers, kids visiting sick parents for work etc but they don’t just give them out willy nilly & you must insist it says she is in ‘life threatening’ condition not just at the hospital. She could be getting a boob job for all you know. Plus yes, when your mother is actually dying you live at the hospital. I think they are lying.

Thanks Emily.I am waiting for Air decision,so will see.Last time I had last minute cancellation and guy tried to claim refund,but Air declined his claim.

If I learned my mother was on her deathbed, trying to recoup the cost of an unfortunately timed air BnB booking would be the last thing on my mind. These people are trying to get out of following a policy they agreed to. Unfortunately, Air’s pattern seems to be always giving the guest the benefit of the doubt. I suppose we have to chalk it up to one of the conditions of doing business with them.

2 Likes

Well,he got refunded.Next time I will know better.Thank you all for your help!

1 Like

Thanks Emily. So how exactly does that work? Do they ask the person on their death bed for permission to write a relative a note? Or does one call the hospital and just say they are related and have something faxed with no proof of relation? Or do they walk into the hospital front desk and say they are a relative “can I have a note please” - I am just trying to wrap my head around it. Being that the mother-in-law is not the person who booked the trip…still confused how a relative obtains a note.

Thanks!

I do not have idea how you can prove that she is your mother-in-law.
This is what they said
Hi Jana,
My name is Giulia and I am a case manager with the Trip Experience Team in Airbnb. I am reaching out to you regarding your reservation with Diego. Unfortunately due to sad circumstances Diego has had to cancel his reservation with you. I know that you have been in contact with him and have directed him in the right way regarding a refund for which I want to thank you.

I have now received extenuating circumstances documentation from Diego and have refunded him in full for the reservation. Because you have already received a payout for this reservation, Airbnb made an adjustment to your reservation with Diego for extenuating circumstances.

Hi Cabinhost, yes it’s pretty easy to get but the person does need to be seriously ill. Either the persons treating doctor in the hospital or the consultant could complete the cert. the relative needs to request it and people do all the time to get standard fair from airlines, not last minute rip off flights or urgent visas if they need to travel os.

Dislike and don’t believe. Sounds just like the one I got for Sara’s “dying” MIL.

I bet Air could make a pretty penny selling trip insurance… Everyone would win. Alternatively, they could have a real insurance company underwrite it and they would definitely require proper proof.

5 Likes

It would be a great idea felixcat.

I can’t imagine that a big proportion of people are going to provide random death notices or random doctor’s notes. If I truly thought this then I would NEVER rent via AirBnB or in general. I have to operate under the principle that most people are basically honest. That’s what makes AirBnB work. I get a decent place to stay at decent rate or I rent a place at a decent rate with decent costs. If either side of the equation is off too much the whole system fails.

2 Likes

Felix,

I too have wondered why Air doesn’t prompt the guest to check their credit card and use a card that does provide trip cancellation. And if none of their cards do then Air could sell it for a nominal fee - less than what normal trip insurance would cost. I don’t know if that is dipping into insurance regulations but I sure would add $15 to my trip in case an extenuating circumstance happened. Then Air could pay us out of the funds. All sides are happy :slight_smile:

@chrlsrchrdsn - I agree…I think most people are honest. But just look the amount of people who abuse credit card chargebacks. I have read some unbelievable accounts of how a guest wins a chargeback because they couldn’t get out of cancelling, or they stayed just to have a free vacation. Once they succeed, then the next person in the group takes their turn. When a company creates a policy that says the guest can receive a total refund if they can show this or that…there are a lot of people in this world who have no problem presenting something as easy as an obituary. Also, the guests don’t comprehend that hosts may be missing out now on a quarter of their income for the month. They might just assume Air still pays us out. So in their mind they are only screwing a large company and not an individual.

2 Likes

Well I asked Airbnb if they require from guest to prove that she is really his mother-in-law and I got this reply

Hi Jana,
Thank you for your email, I hope you are having a lovely weekend! When a guest or indeed a host needs to make a cancellation due to extenuating circumstances we request documentation, if the documentation is correct and sufficient we can then proceed to cancel the reservation with no penalty but only if the documentation is deemed acceptable, which is this case it was.
Thank you for your understanding,
Giulia

1 Like