Cancelation due to corona virus proof

Lots of people with ‘Asian’ names live in Bristol @JanaM We are a multi-cultural city :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Helsi we have Asian people in Edinburgh too :smiley: .There was just some conflict between what she said and her profile.

I was thinking myself that perhaps one global WuFlu thread would answer most of these questions.

1 Like

I don’t see Brad Pitt battling zombies on tall buildings and with my health history, I’m at “extreme high risk” and I’m not worried. Honestly, so far more people have died of the regular flu this year and CV19 has many people either asymptomatic or minimal symptoms testing positive.

I have no more bookings coming in and I was going great guns. My sailors who just left also don’t seem worried. Then again, they were pretty pickled in rum. :wink:

This media-driven panic is insane.

3 Likes

We shall see 20202020

RR

yes, these are issues to address come november. I’m not happy about this either. But I wont panic and I’ll just listen to statistics and facts. So far, the percentage of deaths is lower than flu and statistically speaking it affects the elderly, those with pre conditions or problems with the immune system.

2 Likes

Exactly. Even during the bubonic plague in Europe it’s estimated that 75% of the population survived. There is no need to panic, panic has never solved a single problem.

However, many sources I trust are saying it’s going to get much worse before it gets better. People acting like it’s no big deal is a good part of the reason why it’s become as big a deal as it has. So just as panic solves nothing, doing nothing solves nothing.

The folks saying it’s no big deal are people with a long and deep track record of being complete morons.

4 Likes

Now that we have confirmed cases in the state where I live, I am homebound. I am at high risk because of age and medical history.

I’m taking this very seriously. I think it’s going to get much worse than many of us anticipate.

We haven’t canceled any Airbnb reservations, but I wouldn’t be surprised to find that guests want to cancel. If they do, that’s fine with us. If they don’t cancel, I may simply make myself scarce in the house. It’s a big enough house that I can do that.

3 Likes

Even those not at risk from a direct impact are going to be impacted by the economy in general (slowdown or recession) and in the US, by the election.

2 Likes

Panic, paranoia and reacting by doing things that have been proven to be of little use, like using hand sanitizer, or wearing an off-the-counter mask are indeed not at all helpful.
But I do think this is going to go on for quite a while and get worse. I realize it would be impossible to get the world’s entire population to comply, but really, it seems like if everyone worldwide had just stayed put for a month and not travelled anywhere and not gathered in crowds and taken advised methods for sanitizing, this thing, as well as other epidemics, would be stopped in their tracks. Yes, the worldwide economy would have taken a huge hit, but it would have been finite, not keep spreading and affecting the economy for who knows how long.

I sympathise and hope you stay healthy. I’m almost in the age bracket and, without going into the gory details, my immune system has been somewhat compromised for the past fifteen years.

On that basis, I believe I am allowed to be flippant and therefore happy to share my preventative strategy. Copious amounts of Oloroso, followed by Omeprazole, followed by Paracetamol. The Oloroso is, in my opinion, the most important member of my little triumvirate :smile:

Unfortunately, I’m travelling a bit of a hotspot tomorrow (the U.K.) for a few days. Not sure how many bottles of Oloroso to pack…

JF

2 Likes

On the basis that this is the first time I’ve left my barriada for weeks (sad, I know), I’m surprised at how normal things are in “the big city”!

Main railway station in Sevilla is just as busy as it usually is, as is the airport.

Just seen my first folks wearing masks, a couple heading towards security. They are the only ones in the whole of the departure hall that I can see.

Let’s see what Edinburgh brings!

Usually in Scotland, the only folks who wear masks are those robbing post offices and corner shops :wink:

JF

2 Likes

Everything is pretty much as it usually is here in Edinburgh.But you may struggle to find any toilet rolls in shops :smiley:

As long as I can find Laphroig or Bowmore I’ll be fine. :wink:

Health professionals are saying those over-the-counter paper masks are useless and may do more harm than good. Health workers know how to wear a mask, how it should fit to be effective, and how to remove it safely- ordinary people fuss with it, adjust it, etc, which means they are touching their hands to their face.

I had to google that :slight_smile: well, Italy had quarantine everywhere because its citizens did not understand what quarantine means. You are supposed to stay at home, now go to the bars and restaurants and the malls to infect more people. Or sneak out the town and got to your vacation residence in another city infecting those people as well.

I dont panic, i am mid age but in very good health, meaning I’m most likely not going to die if I catch it, but I take things very seriously.

Yes Airbnb requires proof.
I had a cancellation on basis of Coronavirus/ extenuating circumstances:
[In order to comply with disease control restrictions implemented by relevant governmental or health authorities due to COVID-19, such as those announced by governments…]
The guest was required to provide proof.

1543 cases in UK is not a proof?

1 Like

janelemming778
The situation changed since I wrote the post.It does not matter anymore.

2 Likes

This forum is going to be an interesting snapshot of how it all went down isn’t it? In fact one of the amazing things from a historian’s perspective is going to be the trove of information that exists real time, first person accounts of the crisis, across the globe from a variety of viewpoints. For most of human history we had relative few accounts and those were mostly written by the well educated and the wealthy. Even as recently as WWII and all that went with that the number of records we have now will exceed those by many thousands of degrees. (I know you might not be interested. Sorry, I’m having a nerd moment.)

4 Likes