Cancel or Risk Bad Feedback?

OK. So does Airbnb notify me and then ask if I want to waive my cancellation policy?

It seems guest would be hesitant to cancel in case I was lying…although it is in writing through the message system.

Thanks

When the guests cancels Airbnb sends you a message. It’s up to you to honor what you offer.

1 Like

Cannot understand the logic, or lack of it behind ABNB response. Apparently you had clearly posted your terms in the booking details and this guest accepted them by making that booking. Now they want to change those terms. You have the option of agreeing to such new terms or declining. If you decline then your guest will have to accept that or cancel their reservation. If they accept then they are probably going to be unhappy as the did not get their own way. If it were me, I would not be comfortable hosting such guest and would cancel their reservation. If ABNB tried to penalize you for so doing, I would fight it all the way. In fact for me it would be adios ABNB! I am very disappointed to read how badly ABNB are treating their hosts under such circumstances as you have followed the rules whereas this guest clearly did not.

1 Like

The reason I gave her 7 days is because if I had only given her 24 hours she would have no real incentive to cancel - she knows that she will get a full refund either way. However if I am giving her the choice of cancelling with full support, refund and assistance or myself doing it a day before she arrives she is highly likely to choose the former.
What make me angry is this - there are bound to be hundreds of AirBnb hosts all over the world who are, at this very minute, distressed and concerned because there is a guest who is behaving oddly, deviantly, unreasonably or aggressively and they do not feel safe or comfortable allowing them into their homes - the place where they should feel safe and protected. But instead of following their better judgement and cancelling them they will let them in and put themselves, their children and their homes at risk - because AirBnb don’t just pressurise them to do so but actually threaten their livelihooods and penalise them if they don’t. This isn’t just unethical but is probably unlawful. Closer consideration and scrutiny should be given to protecting the rights of hosts before someone is seriously harmed. It’s a lot like the issue of ‘consent’. At all stages when dealing with a stranger crossing your personal boundaries (be it your home or your person) you should have the right to say ‘NO’ I’ve changed my mind, I am no longer comfortable with allowing you into my home, and you shouldn’t be pressurised otherwise.

2 Likes

The one thing I agree with that sometimes rough start ends up being a pleasant experience for everyone. Newbies to Airbnb often don’t get it that it is a business as any other and like in every business there are rules. Seems like your guest was only hoping to have a luncheon but did not actually scheduled it.
My friend just had a somewhat similar situation when a guest booked a room in a house with 2 rooms. It was his first time with Airbnb and he booked the cheaper of the 2 with 2 bunk beds for his “old” 50 year old parents. He came to see the house first to be sure that there is a functioning kitchen and clean pool. My friend showed him the house including second master bedroom he did not book as it was 30$ more per night.
When parents arrived for a week long stay with many bags of groceries they were shocked to discover it was 2 bunk beds not a double bed. The son called my friend demanding the code for the master bedroom. He mentioned his parents “old” age and said its impossible for them to stay in a house. My friend told him it’s no problem for the master bedroom but they need to pay more. She pointed out to her listing and told him that this is what he booked.
They were going back and forth and finally they stayed. My friend was absolutely sure that she will get bad review but instead he left her the best review ever.
I had plenty of new guests to airbnb and now I kind of expect if it’s a new guest something that goes a bit off. My last 3 newbies: left luggage without asking until 9 pm on a check out day, showed up before 11, helped themselves with breakfast though I don’t offer it.

…the guest has responded saying that ‘in the circumstances she would like to take me up on my cancellation offer’.

so I’ve emailed the Airbnb case manager:

Dear ,

I have contacted the guest in the message feed and told her that I feel the house might not be a good fit for her needs. The guest agrees and she wants to cancel her booking. Please can you reach out to her to assist her in finding another AirBnb property that would better suit her needs and rebooking with a different property. I did tell her that I would be happy for her to have a full refund to enable her to do this.

Best wishes, Claire.

4 Likes

Phil, I have been treated like this on at least half a dozen occasions. Each time I was being manipulated, treated badly, or having rules broken by guests, but nevertheless I got the exact same treatment as CLaire. They never support you in a cancellation. Even while agreeing how terrible the behavior of the guest is, the customer service agent will tell you you’ll be penalized if you don’t have the awful person in your home. It’s quite distressing.

I am very happy Claire’s situation turned out.

Phil, you are right the are hosts all over in the same situation being treated horribly by Airbnb. They know it, but they won’t allow a cancellation in case they lose a bit of money. Very very short sighted, when the resentment of being treated so terribly can cause hosts to want to quit.

This women is selfishly abusing Airbnb. Cancel it! Let Airb know and hopefully they will mark it on her profile instead of yours or ban her.

That is a bunch of BS reply on the part of air. They completely ignored that your guest was planning to host and event and event others into your home. Very disappointed in Air. They are not supporting the hosts.

It’s interesting because for a while I was the only host who had been through any negative experiences with Airbnb customer service not supporting me. I have had the exact email above, when I wanted to cancel the stay of a guest who customer service agreed was being manipulative and even went so far to say ‘I wouldn’t be comfortable with them in my home’, but nonetheless, they wouldn’t support my cancellation without penalizing me with a loss of superhost status and whatever else. I have had numerous other experiences also that hosts here seemed a bit not so sure whether to believe. I wonder now that so many others are coming forward with the exact same stories as I’ve told in the past if they are now a bit more believable to so many that just thought I was here to ‘bash’ Airbnb.

Because I’m deadly curious:

Let’s pretend she wasn’t a rude, entitled jerk-

If she had worded it differently, like : Oh, that’s a shame. Could I book the night before? I was hoping to have my girlfriends over for some In N Out and a catchup.

Would that have redflagged for you guys?

What are your rules for an event vs visitor?

It’s never occurred to me to ask a host, my friends tend to live scattered, so if someone does come over to eat it’s usually only one. But I never would have thought one friend would be an issue. I’m seeing some responses that suggests it is.

I’ve got to be honest- if I’m paying over US150 per night plus cleaning for a couple, and I can’t have a friend over for dinner, I’d find that pretty frustrating.

Not attacking, just curious on host’s thoughts!

Thanks in Advance!

If I were renting a private apt or home (I’m a guest a few times a year) and I wanted a couple of friends over, I wouldn’t think twice about it and I would never dream of contacting my AirBNB host to ask permission. I do this regularly in Portland and SF where I have local friends. And if my host contacted me and said, “you can’t check in early, anymore” I’d say no problem, and I’d tell my friends, “hey, change of plans and let’s meet at the restaurant around the corner.” Those would be visitors – the venue of where we meet isn’t important because I’m not hosting an event for them.

1 Like

If it’s a separate appartment I definitely would not mind if my guests had friends over for dinner. If they are just renting a room from me I wouldn’t mind them having a friend of they hang out in their room not all over my house, which is usually the fact. I had couple times guests who brought their friends who stayed in other house and they stayed in their room all night.
I know though that many hosts do mind if there are visitors .

Having another couple over for dinner is fine. My place sleeps up to 6. I do not allow more than 6 people in the home at a time (includes visitors).

Some people try to call their guest a “visitor” to get out of paying more. The college age son visiting is really a guest, and I know and the guest knows he will be staying the entire time.

Some owners want to keep their Airbnb on the down low and not bring attention from the neighbors. So if people are just inviting groups of friends over that could put someone’s Airbnb at risk.

There is also the issue of damage and theft when you have large groups over. Let’s say someone in the group really likes a unique decoration, or a nice set of coasters, or that really nice wine opener…or just about anything. It’s very easy for someone in a group to take it. Regular guests already do these things…so it’s not going to be better with random people walking around where it will be hard to pin it on someone.

I had one guest not bother to mention she was planning on having her sister’s family over on their last night. I pried it out of her because I always ask if there will be anyone else in the group at all during the stay. I doubt the other family would just be stopping by - they were staying the night. But their party was already 6 and she wanted to invite another family over? I don’t know how much a septic tank can handle but I don’t need to overload it. And that means they will be using more towels, blankets, etc - that is more loads of laundry for me. I supply all products except for food. So the more people who are there means more toilet paper, paper towels, and everything else getting consumed. And then you have the laundry issue. Her sister’s family could very well have done all of the laundry for their family. I don’t know if the sister is local or was traveling like her. But that’s just more expense for me.

In one inquiry the guy said it would be 6 guests. I pried out of him (took a while) that he was planning to have a private wedding ceremony and would probably only be inviting 9 other people. Declined!

Another one was "it will be 6 of us - me and my childhood friends get together a couple of times a year to stay in touch…we are responsible and some are married " - Sure - OK. You want to rent the place for one night to get together with your friends when you could just go out to a restaurant or hang out at one of the friend’s home. Save the $350 on renting a cabin and go out and spend it with your friends. I’m certain all the significant others were planning to come along with all of their friends.

3 Likes

Just Shoot, I used to think it was ok for guests to entertain additional guests, but changed my tune when My Worst Guest Ever hooked up with some strange local dude and invited him here without telling me and began partying loudly and obnoxiously and ended up causing damage. I had to go down to ask them to be quiet and they ignored me…closed all the doors and continued to party. Later, I had to press the guest at 11pm to make sure this guy did not stay overnight. I rented to two not to more. Visitors to Hawaii would not generally bring people they know… it would be strangers they met at the beach or at a bar. This guy brought his pot over and they were all vaping too, against the rules. As well as getting crazy drunk and treating my place like a frat house. Terribly helpless feeling when guests are in possession of your property and blatantly misbehaving…I wonder if I would have had any major trouble with this guest Jennifer had she not hooked up with a stranger and brought him here. Hard to say.

Two tends to be quiet but when a third person is added to the mix, the volume gets louder and louder. The party gets louder and louder. The people drink more and more. No way, guests. Not at my place.

Cabin is right… It costs the host more in the way of more utilities and consumables to host unexpected or additional guests. To say nothing of the security and liability risk. This guy she brought over here lives here and now knows where I live and what I have at this property. Not good.

What is the benefit to me exactly to let guests have their guests over? People I don’t know or haven’t screened? Exactly None.

My rates are never as high as $150 per night and I get your point about paying that much but not getting to entertain. Really maybe a hotel wouldn’t be as much and you could have girlfriends over? My guests get a great deal here but additional guests just because it is a private and separate space is NOT part of the deal. Because we are out in the country they usually would end up staying the night. Again, I didn’t rent to three or more, I rented to two. Nuff said…

To be honest, Just Shoot, between the clean up issues you have discussed here and the propensity to want to have additional guests, you don’t sound like someone I’d like to rent to. When you pay me a cleaning fee it’s to get the place ready for your arrival, not clean up after you. Cleaning fee is standard at most vacation rental situations, as is a deposit. If you didn’t understand this and have to question it, that tells me you are new at this and I would decline you. Also, If you want to have additional guests over for dinner or socializing… (which then turns into a party especially if you are young) that also tells me you would not be my ideal kind of guest. Maybe you should rent a hotel room, and even there additional guests would not really be welcome, I assure you.

Not trying to be mean, jus sayin.

It must be difficult if hosts rent whole apts without being on site. I only rent one room were i live, so i can keep an eye on anyone’s behaviour. A couple of days ago though a guest asked, before she even got here, can her 2 brothers stay in the same room as her and her partner! Seriously, what is people on. They booked a double room for 2 people. Chancer’s lol