Can we all try to get along better?

I really must say I don’t think we turn most new people off. Everyone is here to help. There are many long time hosts who have good advice to give.

I have said this again and again. My goal in participating in this forum is to help less seasoned or really ANY hosts to avoid many of the pitfalls I found myself in. To save you the mistakes I made. Maybe help you avoid doing the wrong thing so you save time, money and heartache. I don’t pretend to know it all or be the last word.

I also learn something new every day from the forum members and from guests. Yes, Im a mod, but that doesn’t mean I am not allowed to have an opinion or that I have to sugarcoat my views.

We can not control the way our suggestions are taken. There are a lot of different personalities who post here. Some may seem gruff, some are direct, some opinionated but I guarantee, all are well meaning.

5 Likes

Honestly, I had assumed that Airbnb had spies on this site to steer conversation. That’s how committed some users are to their antipathy. I almost hope they’re getting paid if they’re gonna toe the company line instead of actually listening to people. But that’s just one turned-off noob’s opinion.

The past is the past.

I genuinely appreciate the concept of the group agreeing to treat each other with common courtesy as we move forward.

5 Likes

Hi folks – sorry I meant to change the logo but I have just done it – let’s hope this will clear up any confusion with respect to us being affiliated with Airbnb. Airbnb had a tool to create your on “A” logo about 3 years ago and we used that tool to generate our unique logo so that was the story why the logo looks so much like Airbnb’s.

7 Likes

That is interesting @Annet3176. I’ve been a superhost for three years and haven’t had that invite from Airbnb :blush:

What a great post!
I totally agree that there have been some people that that have given very condescending replies to someone who has come on here with a genuine issue. They have been spoken to as if they are complete idiots. Let’s remember that most of us started off with trepidation going into the unknown to just try to make a little extra money.
Not all of us have big houses to let out and many of us have just one room in our homes. This can sometimes cause conflict and many times I’ve asked advice for different issues… I’ve mostly had incredibly helpful, funny and honest advice but occasionally have a member who forgets that what seems to them is irrelevant, to me it’s something that’s causing friction and I’m reaching out for HELPFUL advice.
I’m glad this post has been created as I’ve been shocked at times by some responses people have had.
Let’s just ban these people from the forum and get back to what the forum was created for.

7 Likes

there’s been many one-thread wonders, that’s a perfect example of people who maybe don’t leave the forum per se, but certainly don’t come back.
I’ve seen far too many ‘perhaps you shouldn’t be hosting’ posts, always strikes me as the worst response.

7 Likes

Interesting your post @cabinhost , but I remember that my first post in this forum, a year and a half ago, was to warn about the behavior of “professional guests” that despite continuously acting the same on the platform, they were not banished from it. Even the same guests in question appeared in the forum to continue their disastrous work. The worst comments I received were from two moderators of the forum expressing their happiness for having such an entertaining situation to observe, noting that it was a good opportunity to have fun reading, continuously refreshing the page. Nothing has changed and new members receive that treatment. This forum is like entering a university brotherhood. After suffering the initial humiliations, one has paid the right to “belong.”

5 Likes

Hello @konacoconutz, thank you for checking out, the post to which I refer must have been the second then. “Crooks parasites of the sistem”. The post was then edited, eliminating all the comments that they made about me and my listing, leaving everything decontextualized, and finally it was closed.
But the comments of the moderators continue there. At the end of it.

Well said @Mirta_Gubetta… I’ve been quietly watching this forum for several years and I value the information I’ve gained here. I post only occasionally for fear of having some innocent thing I might post being ripped apart, mostly by a couple of the moderators (which will remain unnamed), and by a few long time members from the ‘in’ crowd.

In their defense: I feel members and moderators have answered some of the questions that come up regularly/repetitively on this forum (particularly from newbies) so many times that they get sick of it and that shows up in their responses sometimes.

@CabinHost… I appreciate your addressing this subject and trying to achieve a friendlier, healthier, more inclusive environment for forum members. It’s a tough subject to address, and I applaud you for trying!

12 Likes

In my early days of participating in this forum, I reported how two CS staff members admitted to me they were instructed to lie to us if we had a problem with our listing. ( Posted, July '17.)

One case involved my listing not appearing when searched on a number of different computers: the other was for inaccurate pricing displayed. The response from the two CS members was the listing appeared at their end and the pricing was correct. Both admitted to instructions given to them to lie to us in this way.

Some forum members’ responses stated they did not believe me.

I was disappointed my caution about staff of CS was dismissed due to my perceived lack of
honesty. I was bemused and amused some forum members would consider I’d take the time and effort to prepare a post that deliberately offered false information.

And yes, I was a little hurt as well.

I considered abandoning the forum yet chose to stay for all I was learning and for the opportunity to perhaps help other hosts.

4 Likes

I’m sorry but I have to disagree with you @konacoconutz . I have not misinterpreted anything. Now you have deleted the full post and I can no longer prove that two of the moderators of this forum expressed their surprise and joy commenting on the unusualness of the situation, and that it was an interesting opportunity and fun to continue observing my public battle in this forum with them. The moderators in question were very clear and explicit in their sayings. Nobody could be confused about it. Not me.

2 Likes

My frustration is even greater, because now @konacoconutz is trying to dismiss my opinion, alleging that I have misunderstood. Why delete the whole post and then answer that, but to discredit what I was affirming.
Now it is her words that is worth, and her “prestige” as an old member in this forum.
I think this shows what @cabinhost wanted to put in discussion.

3 Likes

I should clarify just a tiny bit: Even though I understand the frustration moderators may experience at times… I don’t think it warrants the sometimes curt, snarky responses that I’ve seen in this forum – unfortunately even from some moderators at times. IMHO moderators have been given the title to help maintain a friendly, respectful, and helpful/supportive forum environment. Allowing, defending, making excuses for, or otherwise supporting mean-spirited debate isn’t helpful to anyone. If you’re getting burned out and worn down, take a break, please.

10 Likes

Hi @cindiksherman and @Mirta_Gubetta

It would be great to see more contributions and advice from the wider membership base. Do feel free to post responses when other hosts have a query. The more hosts like yourselves contribute the better the forum will be.

1 Like

Yes @Helsi, I’m not here to criticize only and I have already contributed several times with answers, when I thought I could contribute. Two and a half years ago I started using the air platform, with four apartments listed and 183 reviews so far.

Thanks @Helsi… I do contribute when I think I have something fresh to offer that hasn’t already been suggested by someone else in the group. I do believe members might be more willing to contribute, comment or ask questions now that this subject has been brought into the light… Especially now that moderators have gotten a real sense of how important it is that they maintain an open, friendly respectful, helpful and supportive environment for forum members. Thanks again @cabinhost for bringing up this tricky, but important subject. I believe the forum can only benefit from this dialogue.

3 Likes

Wow four apartments @Mirta_Gubetta what a great asset. Were you doing long term listings with them before or did you buy them specifically for Airbnb?

I’m a host that shares my home.

A community of hosts will always have one thing in common

I remember your post now and that you received some really useful advice and feedback.

So as this is a thread about moving forward and being positive, rather than saying you won’t name names and then linking to the thread that …names names :slight_smile: let’s move on and hear from you about your experience in hospitality.

Always interesting to hear how people got into hosting.

2 Likes