Can people not read my listing?

I can see everything on my Android phone. But I have to say… your listing is extremely wordy. Try cutting it down to the key points. Maybe by a 5th. I couldn’t have a reasonable expectation that a guest would want to read yours in its entirety.

1 Like

I think you are trying to deter people from booking and that is fine. This is a good way to maybe catch a little break and only take the guests who are willing to read your entire listing.

I did see the line “To book, please send info requested in Other Things to Note Section. If not included you will be declined.”

But it is NOT bold or uppercase nor does it stand out in any other way. And when I went looking for that Other Things section I couldn’t find it.

I don’t think I’ve EVER seen such a verbose listing. The list of house rule Don’ts is intimidating as hell

Why don’t you make it REALLY HARD for people to book with you?

2 Likes

Lol. It’s funny, I never thought reading was so hard for so many people, but I’ve since learned. I know for sure if I used Airbnb I would read EVERYTHING before I booked into a stranger’s home. But only because I’ve run my own. I certainly never think twice about it when I book into a hotel and I never read a hotel’s listings.

They’re deliberately ignoring them.

Your listing is far, far, far, far, far too long. It’s 2016 and people have terrible attention spans. Cut it by 90%. If you can say it in five words, don’t say it in fifty.

Also, about 80% of your listing is irrelevant to almost all your potential guests. They don’t need 100 different transport options, they need ONE and you can give it to them once you know how they’re coming.

I know this seems terribly rude, but if someone doesn’t say it, you’ll just continually get enquirers who haven’t read, or (far worse) you won’t realise they haven’t read until they break every single one of your house rules :frowning:

1 Like

My suggestion is just to note this, and that they are welcome to send a message if they’d like to know what’s in it before booking.

Well, it reminds me of one of those situations where you DON’T want dates or to be asked out and everyone keeps hitting on you! :smile: That is some list of rules!!! But it seems to be working for you! :smile:

1 Like

I can’t even see the listing…?

I edited all of em yet again. I have reluctantly decided guests may not use drugs or alcohol on premises anymore since all the worst guests are always drug/alcohol addicts.

Listing has been taken down.

So, why is that???

I needed a break. I turn em off when I feel like it.

1 Like

A very good point :slight_smile:

1 Like

You sounded like the burnout was really starting to take hold. Definitely take a break. The money is not worth it.

3 Likes

Haha - Mine are that long too - nice to see another host giving me a run for my money!

It does seem to be one of the most common problems - not reading the listing!

Sorry you’ve had such bad luck with your guests keeping to the rules. I also have rules as long as yours. It hasn’t stopped me getting bookings and for the most part my guests have been great. Don’t tell them though, but my idea with such extensive rules is that hopefully if my guests do 1/2 to 2/3 of what I ask, then I will be happy :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve turned down five requests since my last posting …even with the ridiculous rules…because people don’t read them. they JUST PLAIN DON’T.

There’s an ancient newspaper journalists “words to live by”: The first paragraph (not page or chapter) of an article (your description of your listing) needs to answer 5 Ws and an H before your reader will read further: Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How.

Who are you?.
What are you offering?
When is the best time to stay withyou?.
Why should the potential guest stay here rather than elsewhere?
How can the guest get to your listing?

Time for another break? LOL