Can I ask guests to conserve energy?

Thanks everyone. A lot of food for thought.

Yes me too, especially if I’d rented an entire place rather then a private room in a house. Although, in saying this I have stayed at an entire place rental and the host asked for $10 a day to cover the air con (this was the Turks and Caicos though). Can you put some sort of devise over the controls to stop guests touching them? This link may be helpful:

http://www.prothermostats.com/article.php/thermostats-and-other-products-that-help-protect-landlords-from-high-utility-bills/?id=5

Unfortunately guests are self righteous and entitled. They will be angry if they can’t have everything they’re way and even with all smart electronics they will still find a way to abuse it. For instance you can have a limit on your thermostat range but it doesn’t matter if the guests have all the windows open and use the fireplace in the summer time. The AC unit wl still run 24hrs a day continously no matter what temperature it is on. Airbnb has also become increasingly difficult to file a resolution with. And many people will leap to defend this behavior and blame you. Best to raise your rates accordingly. For instance when I use the house I spend 100 a month on electricity. When guests use it, it costs between 600 and a 1,000 a month. So I just divide that by 30 and add it to each night stay.

1 Like