Can anyone explain this standards page to me?

it’s not a big deal, as in, i’m happy about how i’m doing. but i want to make sure i understand how this works. how can it say i have 100% 5 star reviews, and yet my average review is 4.9?

i did have one guest who gave me a 4 on cleanliness, but a 5 overall, and in other categories. is that it?

4.9 is forever, the 100% figure is the time period noted above it

i thought maybe that. but i only started hosting mid-september- so the two periods should be the same. “forever” and jan-dec 2017. same guests. same ratings.

Since you’ve had one 4 star somewhere, the lowest figure below a full 5.0 is 4.9.

But i havent had anything but five stars in overall experience since i started a month ago (look at percent five star ratings just above) i did get one four star in cleanliness. Is that what it measures? Takes into account every category? If that’s the case, i think it’d still round to 5.0 with 32 5 stars and one 4 star across all categories.

1 Like

So it seems: the algorithm won’t give you a full five unless you’ve got fives across the board, no exception.

Ok, thanks. Just seems weird that a category called “overall rating” doesnt correspond to overall ratings but actually means ratings across all categories. Ah well.

1 Like

I’ve gotten 4s on location in the last year but my overall is 5.

It’s either because of your karma or location is a less sensitive parameter than cleanliness.

Ha! Maybe it’s the difference between 116 reviews and 10 reviews. If you get to 4.95% + they round up?

2 Likes

That’s a good point too.

@KKC

You are correct about the number of reviews. the higher the number of positive reviews makes one negative affect your average less.

I found out the hard way. A lovely guest who has rented from me 3X accidentally left me all one star ratings. She thought the the 1 stars were the best. Her comments made it clear that she was a very happy guest. Airbnb would not correct her rating. She was one of my first 5 reviews. It wrecked my average until I received enough positive reviews to minimize the affect on the average of her 1 stars.

1 Like

I think I might have figured this one out. I reviewed a guest who also reviewed me, but due to some glitch her review wasn’t made public on my profile until after the 14 day period had expired. She gave me a 4 :-/ which makes the overall 4.9 make sense.

I think her review was just factored into the overall scoring before I could see it. Tempted now, to see if that’s the case with other guests who have reviewed me, but whose reviews I can’t see, because I haven’t reviewed them yet. Not a big deal, but it’d be nice if you could get an advance heads-up to how you were reviewed.