Can Airbnb change a listing?

We’ve just (probably belatedly) noticed that one our listings has been changed from an "en-suite bathroom to “shared”. It’s an odd listing to describe: two double bedrooms with a Jack-and-Jill bathroom in between the two bedrooms. We only let this as a suite or just one room with the bathroom. We are very clear in the narrative description that the suite is for families or two couples/friends happy to share the bathroom. Both bedrooms each have separate access to the bathroom, together with each having separate access to the rest of the house via different staircases. No other guests can access/share this bathroom.

In September we had two couples, all friends, travelling together from Vancouver. On their final morning, one of the blokes apologised for being late for breakfast, blaming his fellow travellers for monopolising the bathroom. His review was good, apart from feedback to Airbnb that our listing was inaccurate because of the shared bathroom and having to wait for other people to finish. I tried to ask him about this via an email and asked him to rectify it if poss with Air but he didn’t respond. I therefore left him a factual response to clarify our accuracy. We put the drop in the suite’s bookings/viewings down to seasonality and fewer groups travelling together, although our other listing has shot up. We’re left wondering if Air decided to change the description, perhaps reducing attractiveness.

Any thoughts welcomed.

I don’t know if they can change a listing but just this morning I noticed some room description options I hadn’t noticed before. I think you are better off to under promise and over deliver. Maybe it’s better to leave it the way it is?

I agree with that as a premise but I’m not sure it applies here, given how unusual this listing is. It was heavily booked (admittedly over the summer) when described as with an en-suite shared by both bedrooms, and people were genuinely surprised by how well it worked for them, particularly travellers with an elderly parent or two. If I was booking for us and parents/offspring, I would prefer knowing that other guests wouldn’t be sharing the bathroom facilities too.

Nice of AirBnB to change the category for you to avoid guests being disappointed. Even though it is described in the listing it seems only proper to have it fully disclosed in the amenities. A good precaution.
I would not be happy if I expected a bathroom to myself and found it was not.

We refer to a bathroom like that as "Jack and Jill".…Not ensuite. Here is an online description of Ensuite: "In real estate, an ensuite bathroom (en suite or attached bath) is a bathroom that is connected to a bedroom. Most often ensuites are attached to master bedrooms, although they may be connected to any bedroom. En suites are thought of as private washrooms"

Is there an emoticon for bemusement?

This is helpful in helping us understand Jack and Jill as understood in the States; unfortunately Airbnb don’t offer this as an option! We do emphasise this term in the narrative however, and we do further emphasise that it is only shared by a group travelling together and happy to share. I think I said that it is hard to describe, so here’s a look-see. Constructive ideas most welcome!

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/18697212?location=Guston%2C%20United%20Kingdom&checkin=&checkout=&adults=1&children=0&infants=0&tier_override=0&s=DjmRrVig .

I have to say that this is a very confusing listing. You say two double bedrooms in the narrative, but have your maximum number of guests set to 2, the icons say one bed and and one bedroom. En-suite bathrooms can’t be connected to two bedrooms. En-suite means “in the room” which implies exclusive use. So, you are offering a private bathroom, but it isn’t an en-suite. It is attached, and it is attached to two rooms.

I suspect that you are trying to thread a needle that you only want one room used if there are two people, and then if there are more, then you would offer the second bedroom for more money. Same problem I have, and to be honest, about 30% of my bookings use both bedrooms and do not pay an extra guest fee.

If you search for 3 or 4 people in your area, your home is not going to show in the search results. I suspect that you are leaving some real money on the table by not letting the groups that you can accommodate search for your listing easily.

Beautiful home. You have very nice taste.

1 Like

Normally listed as 4 pax but off season this isn’t what people are looking for so tweaked a couple of days ago this is when the ‘shared bathroom’ was noticed, this listing get 4x the hits our other listing does typically but less so in the last month hence the question (Joan’s boffin)

Airbnb needs more listing/filter options. They have them for us to put in but not for the guest to use to search…yet. Like my room is unusual in that it is separate and has it’s own entrance but isn’t an entire place/apt. I feel that it would appeal to many business ready guests but it doesn’t quality for business ready.

1 Like

So, if I may ask for clarification, when your room was booked, the listing was for 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, private, and they still complained?

Susan, thank you so much for your compliments, and my apologies for the terseness of my boffin… We were eating as he typed, with two cats yelling for lamb chop bones! We will re-visit and tweak again, but the over the past few weeks we have been trying to “avoid” pre Christmas parties; one by the skin of our teeth!

Yes, the person who booked, who perhaps experienced some delays in using the lav as needed… You have got it in one; thank you! I was really struggling to describe this scenario.

If that was the case, they had no right to complain. What you offer is 2 beds, 1 bath, private. I think you should seriously reconsider the word en-suite. There are implications to the choice of that word that could lead to misunderstandings, especially if English isn’t their native language. You could also consider scanning a simple floor plan of the rooms to include in your photo spread.

I have chosen to call my three rooms, which can be either a bedroom, sitting room and bath or 2 bedrooms and a bath a suite. There is no door to the bathroom from either room, however. Instead all the rooms open to a large landing area. My guests get the whole third floor so privacy from us is guaranteed.

Now, my privacy from the guests in just about nill.

1 Like

What a cracking idea! I will get onto it in the morning, first thing. Thank you so much.