Can a cancelled guest inquire/book you again?

Does anyone know if a guest canceled penalty-free by Air (because the host was “uncomfortable with the guest”) can inquire or book (IB) with you again?

I’d hate to lose a penalty-free cancellation on them in the future or ding my decline record. Air says it’s unlimited but saw a post here saying they can kick you off IB for too many. I tried to block them but seems I have to report them first (via the msg thread)?

In that same vein, I’ve seen differing info on this…but do you think IB gives you a leg up on vetting because they guarantee penalty free cancellations?

1 Like

To answer your last question, I don’t see it like that myself. Free cancellations for IB make sense because hosts have no opportunity to vet guests themselves with an IB, and to me, vetting is something best done through communication as opposed to the few requirements a host can set for IB.

From what I’ve read from IB hosts, the free cancellations generally get used because after the booking was confirmed, the guest came up with something in subsequent messaging that threw up red flags.

But if you have an opportunity to communicate with guests and read any reviews they have before deciding whether to accept their request, then a cancellation should almost never be necessary, and hopefully Airbnb would do a neutral one if contacted, because it usually has to do with the guest indicating they will break your house rules, exceed your max guest count, have made a third party booking, etc.

1 Like

Not unlimited. You get 3 per year that you can do in the system by yourself. With any booking, it is prudent to send a greeting and quick validation, IB or not.
BUT if an agent agrees when you call that there is good reason, they can authorize a cancellation that does not use one of your 3 per year.

Thanks. I will keep it on for now and if I find I’m having to cancel a bunch I will either turn it off or let them boot me. I I don’t really see a downside since I vet no matter what (same questions/conversations).

Always try calling first, if you need to, to try to save your 3 personal auto cancels.

3 Likes

:+1:t4: Good advice! I assume this last (and only thus far), didn’t count since (1) CS did it for me plus (2) it wasn’t an IB reservation.

I do the same comm as a none IB (just post booking). I’ll be watching to see how this all goes. My tactic has been to get the guest to cancel although both Air/VRBO can make full refunding painful for the guest depending upon the host’s policy (take a long time to refund even when cancel immediately follow booking). That’s really been the only downside thus far that I can think of.

Personally, having been a host, I don’t think I’d ever book a STR w/o communicating with the host first. Not ALL hosts are awesome (not you guys, people you know :sweat_smile:)

I don’t require anything via air to book, no verified this or that. I have had a guest book who had a bad review. When he arrived I greeted him and said BTW, whatever you did in Paris don’t do that here. Great guest he got 5 stars.

I cancelled a guest who wrote a bad review for the host, after reading her review, then going and looking at the hosts other reviews it was clear there was no satisfying her. I cancelled as uncomfortable. 5 minutes later she messaged asking why and I told her it was because of the review she wrote. She responded with a wall of text why it was all the hosts fault. Bullet dodged.

RR

3 Likes

This is when I hark back to the olden days. In those golden years hosts (those of us who ran B & Bs) had no chance at all to ‘vet’ a guest and bear in mind that they were staying in our homes.

Often, the doorbell would ring and there’d be a stranger with suitcase in hand asking if there were any rooms available for that night.

Imagine! No vetting, no looking at their previous reviews, no profile… ah, the good old days. :slight_smile:

So of course, now I use IB with no requirements.

3 Likes

Lol! Boss mode! Love it! I don’t get to roll like that (no guest face to face) but it’s definitely my “cup of tea” :facepunch:t4:

2 Likes

I stayed at one like that in Napa a million years ago (pre-Internet). The host prepared breakfast. The other guests were interesting and nice. It was lovely (except the rotten egg smell from all the sulfur in the area :sweat_smile:). I’d do that again in a heartbeat…somewhere quaint and older, classic, away from big cities :blush:

1 Like

Which describes a number of Airbnb rentals perfectly. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You mean back when basic manners, appreciation for what one was offered, and good communication were actually considered to be normal societal values? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I have @jaquo to thank for that bit of advice.

RR

1 Like