Calgon! Take me away

@Antonia_Clare_Grant we all offer advice here for free - that’s the purpose of having a host forum :slight_smile: :frowning:

I think your comments are a little patronising and shows you didn’t read their listing. They are already offering glamping. What they didn’t want to have is a guest sleeping in a hammock or in their car.

1 Like

@Antonia_Clare_Grant
With 68 5 star reviews it seems to me @shashdineecoretreat knows exactly what they are doing.

4 Likes

That’s what we all so here.

This is nonsense really. Learn your market? Why on earth would anyone start hosting if they hadn’t already found out about their market? What you really need to be telling your ‘consultancy clients’ is that they should get all their ducks in a row before making their listing live. This forum helps them to learn.

Sure, we all learn from guests all the time but STR is not a field you can just leap into and learn as you go along. I’m sure that people do but that’s not what a consultant should be telling them.

3 Likes

We are a VERY successful glamping B&B set on extremely large acreage, some of which abuts the HWY 89. Hence the constant RV requests. Ours is also a working sheep ranch. We’ve no intention of destroying fragile high desert pastoral lands to turn it into the Wal-Mart parking lot. We do very well and live quite comfortably. In this instance you’re wrong.

3 Likes

Glad it worked out for you. I think the whole Airbnb brand often gives the impression that you can do what you want, there are endless laid-back possibilities to “live like a local” and the host is there to bend over backwards for you. The vast majority of guests understand the basics of civilised living and sharing, but that percentage who don’t get it or who are trying to pull a fast one because they think they’re clever and nobody else matters are the same percentage that drags us all down. What ya gonna do?!

4 Likes

and with over 600 hundred reviews and 7 years of 98% occupancy and work as a consultant I have watched the airbnb community grow and change - more people join - house rules are fine most people get it = if you get the odd doggy then the fault lies with your system of accepting anyone not the guests faults - edit and learn by how people write to you = don’t have instant book - etc protect yourself and prevent people from staying who will cause issues - they are more hotel customer and thinking that airbnb is a cheap alternative - while behaving like they are staying at a hotel means they need to understand the difference = hosts need to educated not scold -

Antonia, it sounds like you’ve done really well with hosting. I have to all, though, Why are you scolding the other experienced and mostly happy hosts her e, when you just said hosts should be educating not scolding?

People are people, and bad luck is bad luck. With a sense of humour and support from our community we can get through the bad times. Guests don’t read. Guests read but don’t care. Guests lie or get embarrassed or have emergencies or are wonderful or grateful or dumb as bricks.

The longer I host, the more I learn how little i have control over, from where I’m placed in search results to whether or not a guest gets stuck in the rain without an umbrella. (I can offer umbrellas in the listing, or as they walk out the door, but i can’t make them take it or use it or fail to lose it)

I hope you can find a more comfortable way to interact with the community, here.

3 Likes

Perhaps you could take your own advice @Antonia_Clare_Grant and not ‘scold’ seasoned hosts on this forum.

Why do you keep making assumptions - first you tell @shashdineecoretreat they should be offering glamping, when they already do this. Now you tell them it is their fault that they accepted a booking for two people, who then decided at the last moment to bring a third guest, knowing they had booked accommodation for a maximum of two.

It is nothing to do with having Instant Book, it is to do with an unreasonable guest who decided on the day of their booking to let the host know they would be arriving with more people than had booked or could be accommodated. Why are you blaming the host who did nothing wrong?

It is a shame with all this experience that you seem to be so negative in your approach to other hosts in this forum, rather than sharing and supporting.

2 Likes

Not too mention we do not use instant book. :wink:

2 Likes