Calgon! Take me away

We’ve a party of 2 persons coming in today for a night stay in one of our fully restored antique covered SheepHerder Wagons. We sent out the standard “estimated time of arrival” email to gauge what time to expect them during our check in window. They emailed back an approx. time and stated they have a 3rd guest coming with them. First time we’ve heard about this. Again, the accommodation is fully restored antique covered SheepHerder Wagon. It does not allow for 3 persons unless the third is a small child. Upon being told that this is highly irregular and the accommodation will not comfortably allow for 3 persons they simply respond by asking us how much more money will we accept. They also state the 3rd will camp out in a hammock. Now, we are a B&B with accommodations overlooking Lake Powell. We are besieged with requests from persons wishing to camp, pitch tents, park RV’s, etc. All are declined as it is not what we are or wish to offer. Called Air and they are attempting to contact them. By the way, the guests are also hosts. (sigh)

1 Like

If they complete their stay, please, whatever you do, please include this request to exceed the limit in your review of them. Those of us who have a limit of two want to make sure we are alerted to these kind of guests. TIA.

(This request courtesy of another thread where the host thought it was ok to leave a “good review” for the offenders)

4 Likes

To discourage guests like these, I adopted someone’s advice on this forum and added an exorbitant third person fee which is almost double the nightly rate. In effect, three people would have to pay three times the nightly rate. No one has brought a third person.

5 Likes

Oh, we shall. They are arguing with Air that they gave us ample notice (the morning of) of their intention of bringing a third guest (for a covered SheepHerder Wagon stay here at our ranch). They’ve proposed the 3rd guest sleep in a hammock on the property. Now they are proposing the 3rd guest sleep in the car. Would any host allow this? Should be an awkward meet & greet.

I would have allowed it when I just started but not now. I’d be contacting Airbnb and trying to get them to cancel.

2 Likes

We are. We are not going to tolerate it either.

4 Likes

I would definitely encourage you to cancel. In a case like this, will Airbnb cancel for you so you don’t have to do it?

Your would be guests are being ridiculous @shashdineecoretreat. As hosts themselves they should know better.

Stand your ground. Just confirm with Airbnb that they need to cancel the booking as the guest is asking for three to stay when your maximum is two.

1 Like

Adding to the chorus of “cancel these mo-fos!” but, also because I want to know what a sheepherder wagon looks like!!! Please post pics or share listing, if you feel comfortable!

2 Likes

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/12134269

2 Likes

As always, thank you to all here. Air cancelled them. I must say Airbnb Customer Service has always been spot on for us. It is a great relief as we were starting to get really weirded out by this party.

4 Likes

Yep - that is a TWO person space!

2 Likes

Well that’s another place to visit on my fantasy road trip…

1 Like

The cancelled guests are now harassing us via phone and text. Very arrogant persons.

1 Like

Report them. That’s from hosts?!

1 Like

Yes. It’s unbelievable.

And after you take some screenshots and forward them to Airbnb block their number on your phone.

2 Likes

Yes, block them and report them at once. With screenshots.

1 Like

Doing so. last communication with this person via Air was 6 hrs ago, where they stated they were bringing a 3rd person. After that I involved Air. Airbnb was in communication with them and the guests proposed the 3rd sleeping in the car on our property. We advised that were are not comfortable with this and Air went ahead and cancelled. The guests have called and texted stated we owe them a refund.

my feeling reading this is KNOW YOUR CUSTOMER!!! if you get loads of requests for 3 guests and people wanting to camp - why not stop doing airbnb and build it as a boutique camp site - problem solved - after 6 years of hosting and advising new hosts as a consultant - I will offer you something for free -
airbnb is a great guage for building a business - do it for a year I tell people listen to what people ask for and read reviews if you get a bad review pester the guest to explain their point of view in detail and take it on board - the best thing about aibnb is the review system as it helps you learn your market - sounds to me like you are resistant to a great business - grow not sink!!!

1 Like