Calgon, please pick up the white courtesy phone!

Actual message from recent guest to our ranch on the Navajo Nation:

“Also how could we meet Indians and eat their food - or participate in their event or watch them do something?
We only see Indian shops on the road and we’ve already bought plenty of their souvenirs, but it isn’t that interesting” {SIGH}

1 Like

I mean, it’s kind of poorly worded and…culturally insensitive? But I can understand where they’re coming from. Is there a local guide in the area you could suggest? My parents did a road trip of the southwest and had a native guide (can’t remember what tribe) who took them to his village and talked about his culture. They actually were able to watch a festival (one of only a few non-tribespeople there) and really enjoyed it - it was more personal than purchasing trinkets.

Hopefully they don’t start wandering around asking the locals for their food. Haha

5 Likes

It’s way more than poorly worded and there is no need for a question mark after “culturally insensitive”. Asking to “watch them do something” shows that the guests believe that Native Americans are like animals at Sea World. It is disgusting and I’m sure the reservation could be cancelled under Airbnb’s Non-Discrimination Policy. For the record, I’m also anti-Sea World.

4 Likes

It is very poorly communicated. We actually had a good laugh at it. Thought of hiring English actors with cockney accents to greet them. We offer a bio and history of the land, culture, and of the Dine’. I can trace my lineage here 15 generations. We inform all guests of quality tours, hikes, attractions, happenings, and events. We serve a traditional Navajo dish of blue corn porridge, which they did not touch at all. Did not unwrap, They were quite rude. But, gone.

8 Likes

I’m speechless. I think you should report them to Airbnb. I apologize for non Native American ignorance. In gassho

1 Like

No apology is necessary. I’d imagine their only knowledge of Native Americans is from Hollywood. :frowning:

2 Likes

I want to stay with you because it’s been too long since I’ve had blue corn porridge! I can’t even get blue corn meal to make it!!

It’s a shame that some people in the world are still so insensitive.

1 Like

You can get blue corn meal on Amazon.

Wow. I mean, just Wow. Are the guests native English speakers? Maybe it was more a failure of a language.

2 Likes

I agree. Their manners were atrocious, “sighs” and everything. And smacks of discrimination and stereotyping. . People have been booted from Air for less.

Their next holiday will probably be here, where they will stay at a Hemeter “fantasy” resort, ride gondolas, pay a fortune to swim with captive Atlantic bottlenose dolphins in the hotel lagoon pool and still think that is Hawaii. {Le SIGH}

I cringe when I think of your lovely handmade dishes going to waste. Stupid clods. Yes they are gone. Thank goodness. Calgone indeed.

I would absolutely love to stay at your place. I’ve always wanted to experience the Navajo culture.

2 Likes

Agreed. As soon as Jeff and I start our cross country road tripping @shashdineecoretreat’s place will be on our itinerary.

2 Likes

Yes, English speakers.

They probably don’t speak English very well or are just not that intelligent, causing some quite hilarious lines. But apart from that, I believe in people being good (although sometimes a bit stupid) and I believe they were just interested in seeing / experiencing more of your culture. Something tourists all over the world want to do: eating typical food, seeing dances, daily life, crafts, etc…

1 Like

People all over the country have asked if we ride horses here in El Paso. People don’t know the difference between Mexico and New Mexico, TX, El Paso, Juarez, and much, much more. Rude, entitled or clueless people are everywhere.

4 Likes

This is sad and not totally surprising even if I’d wish that travelers were better educated. I guided a tour bus of Europeans about 10 years ago in that area, and all they wanted were to see “Indians and Cowboys”!

1 Like