Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

CA fires on my mind and Open Homes links

I know @gypsy’s beautiful new place is very close to one of the LA area fires. She may be too busy to update us but wanted to let her know I’m thinking of her. Any other CA members in harm’s way, my thoughts are with you.

Thank you for the reminder @K9KarmaCasa To all our CA members of the ‘Air Hosts Family’ - stay safe :slight_smile:

My guests for tomorrow just cancelled due to the fire in their area (CA).

@RiverRockRetreat, I drove thru Idyllwild last weekend. You’re right, the Hemet side is a moonscape now after the fire. :cry:

Ya, its pretty ugly. I feel for the people up north, just read that 5-6 people died in cars trying to evacuate. It can come on fast, my rental property probably safer than my main home, more open space and right by the school which is a priority to protect. Scary shit.

RR

I know gypsy’s place is surrounded by rocky outcrops and hopefully for her that’s one of the fires travelling away towards the ocean. But then there’s someone in the path and just as tragic. I can’t imagine the terror of sitting in your car and dying surrounded by smoke and fire.

We are safe!
We are indeed only 1.5 miles from where the “Woolsey” fire started Thursday, and it has been an utterly incredible and devastating sight to have witnessed This Huge Firestorm so close. We were packed and ready to go and I even in my heart I said goodbye to my beautiful Gypsy. We kept diligent fire watch, continually going to the end of the road to see how much it had encroached towards us against the wind.

If you can put this into the thrread I would be grateful. Hello to all and Thank You.

Glad you are safe. Keep a diligent eye on things and leave if you feel like it even has a chance to get to you. Keep the roads in mind, will you be able to get through? Scary shit.

RR

It posts into the thread even when you answer by email.

A friend of mine is a professor at California Lutheran University and they had the shooting and the fire this week. She says they have no internet and the cell data is overloaded and slow. I don’t know if you are also affected by the outages but I do appreciate you taking a minute to let us know.

It was nice to get your email, Karma and thanks again to everyone. Yesterday was extremely distracting. It is quiet with low winds and smoky today, but Reg Flag due to come up until Tuesday by tomorrow. There was a small fire upwind of us ! midnight Thursday) and that was 1 hour of sheer terror, but the Brave Firemen- Hero’s jumped on it and put it out!! My best friend knows at least 7 people that lost their homes.

Thank you RR
Yes, ours is a small dead end road so it is very important not to block the fire access and to get out with plenty of time. Last night I thought we could count on a sheriff coming up with a loudspeaker, only found out this a.m. that they were too busy elsewhere this time. However we had a neighbor here who had a walkie talkie direct line to the fire commander of our immediate area. Also My Dh Brother was here.

Three local fire scares since then, we are remaining on watch. Winds whipping until Wednesday…

Just wanted to bump this up.

We opened our home to families (free until the end of this month), and heavily discounted long term rate for families into December. We are receiving too many requests, too many to even respond to in time. I would urge any hosts willing to participate in the Open Homes program to please do so. It seems like there are a lot of families (groups of 4 especially) that are in need. Our home is nearly 100 miles away from the fire evac zone but people are willing to travel in order to find stability…

Thanks for pointing that out.

Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!