Bum's rush checkout

I see your point about the prices, I really do. However, people inquire and then never book - I don’t look at an inquiry as a commitment of any kind. Personally, I think that airbnb should fix the price, at least for 24 hours. I think it’s a failure of the system - once someone has been pre-approved, that price should stick.

Best wish again for a recovery. I wish you would review the host. Say what’s good, say what was confusing (the early check-out only, the rest is piddling). Or at least, as others have said, let them know in private. We all need to work together to improve the airbnb brand and being honest with reviews is the best way to do this.

2 Likes

When someone inquires but doesn’t book, I don’t hold the room or the rates for them. I had a couple cancel for labor day and as soon as they did I raised the price for those 2 nights. If they had checked a day later the price would be higher. I rebooked the room at the higher rate.

Now, if I inquired, made it clear I was going to book, and then they jacked up the price and add a cleaning fee I would be angry and I wouldn’t have booked with them unless they honored the orginial price. As soon as I saw the higher total I’d be writing and asking about it. I’m going to say this carefully and I hope you don’t take offense because I have all the empathy in the world for your pain, your frustration with the doctor and so on. But, all of your issues are not the problem of the hosts. I feel like there is a bit of displacement of your pain and anger onto them. The system really needs people to leave honest reviews. Fact is she raised the price and you had to ask for your espresso and she changed the check out time on you. Those are unacceptable traits in a host.

It is really interesting how the perspective changes when one is a guest.

3 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

(how funny when I hit the ‘reply’ button I got a message that said ‘body invalid, please try to be more descriptive’.)

I don’t know why that posted twice.

1 Like

It’s also possible they use SmartPricing, and therefore don’t personally manage their pricing. I’m currently using Smart Pricing for a number of reasons, and I can guarantee you that I have zero clue what the exact price is on any given day. That would be ridiculous to expect that they remember what the price was at the time that you first spoke to them, and then send you a special offer when you finally book. If you had concerns about the price, you should have asked.

2 Likes

It’s hard to explain how chronic pain and disability changes your ability to function. It’s been 4 years since my accident. Doctors don’t cope well with middle aged women with pain. It’s very hard for me to focus. I’m trying to advocate for myself with the medical system which is my day job, but when doing it for myself it’s almost impossible.
Yes, I should have called her on it. I’m only sharing as another thread was about a host throwing her weight around as a guest and thought I’d show the other side. I see similar situations in health care when nurses and doctors don’t do the right thing. Then we as colleagues come in and have to deal with the aftermath and but not bash our work colleagues, even if we’d like to kick them.
It’s been annoying me, and I keep getting reminders to review.

1 Like

I posted the review stole DC Mooney’s words
Bed was comfy and the room was quiet. However, I was asked to check-out earlier than the agreed-upon time which was a significant inconvenience for me"

Thanks everyone for your input. The host review of me stated I was graceful in a coping with their growing pains as new hosts. It’s amazing how I can paste that smile on my face even when I feel like crap.

4 Likes

It’s nice that they admitted they were not really prepared to host like they should have been, that they admitted that goofed up.

2 Likes

Loise, I feel for you, I be been in chronic pain for 9 months after car accident that gradually went away but it was hell . I would not wish it on my worst enemy. I resented taking pills that made situation unbearable at times, but pills put me in a very disturbed state of mind.

I think this where we should speak up. If you saw a different price and additional cleaning fees the best to ask a host if something can be done about it. I did it few times with 100% success and when I was asked I ALWAYS let guests book at the original price they saw. Yes rates change but not dramatically. I don’t mind at all sacrifice few $ in this case.
I don’t offer breakfast but we would never eat in front of a guest without offering food. We rarely eat breakfast ( mistake I know), but on Sunday’s I always make a veggie omelet. If a guest is around I always offer. Almost all says yes. It does not happen very often because we eat Sunday breakfast after 10 am after gym when guests already out but if they stick around we sit at the table and chat.
In my culture it’s VERY RUDE not to offer food if you are eating yourself. Also we also offer as many drinks as a person wishes.
Though I do mind people going through my fridge without my permission.

3 Likes

I say 3 stars. I find these people very rude about the check out & eating in front of you. Wow!

2 Likes

I would give them a rating based on what you received, not what you thought you should have received and deal with the bait and switch in the private portion of the email to the host.

1 Like

My first suggestion is to take up your issues in a guest’s forum. This is a forum about issues hosts face. There are plenty of them and while clearly, I do not speak for everyone, many people are just remaining silent.

Second - you have a head injury. I’m sorry but that makes you an even more unreliable witness than you would otherwise be. Cognitive function is usually a bit off for several months after a head injury.

Third - we have only your side of the story to go on which makes me deeply suspicious of both the truth of your story and your motives.

Fourth - we usually discuss things in this forum that are widely applicable to most hosts and therefore helpful to everyone who comes here. Fixing your problem is neither.

I think this post is completely out of line. I don’t believe you. And I sincerely hope you never darken my doorstep.

2 Likes

And I also think it’s reprehensible to come to a host’s forum for the sole purpose of trying to set one host against all the others.

2 Likes

Had you given the host any assurance at all that you’d be booking, but in the near future instead of right then and there? If you told the host that you intended to book, then yes, I agree that it would have been nice (though not necessary) for the host to reimburse you the extra you ended up paying. However, if you were just inquiring and didn’t tell the host you intended to book, then she had every right to raise her prices and add a cleaning fee. In that instance, you snooze, you lose.

That being said, the other things you mention are not good. I would never ask a guest when they intended to check out unless there was some extenuating circumstance, in which case I would apologize for asking and explain why I was asking. I would certainly never ask a guest to check out a minute before check out time. Though I put out a continental breakfast for my guests, if I didn’t, I certainly wouldn’t eat in front of them in the morning without offering them something.

Some people just don’t have the personality or temperament for hosting. They don’t really know/understand what being hospitable means. Your host is one of these, or she’s hoping for some easy money and hasn’t thought the whole thing through. One way or the other, if you feel generous and want to help this host out, give an honest but not harsh review with maybe 4 stars, and coach her in private feedback. If you don’t, then write a review detailing all the issues you experienced. Either way, this host is going to shape up real soon, or she won’t be hosting for long.

1 Like

You haven’t heard the host’s side of this story at all. Why are you taking this woman’s side? You don’t know anything about the situation and chances are excellent that this person is stretching the truth.

Read the bit where she was given a small espresso and asked for seconds and never received them.

Consider the fact that she admits to paying $38 for a clean, comfortable, quiet room for the night.

Now think about the fact that you have not heard a single word from the other side of the story and stop feeding this person’s hunger for pity.

3 Likes

Stephanie, you really do seem to be in a bad mood today. If I remember rightly @Louise is a host with a lovely place in Canada. Furthermore, I believe that her head injury was a few years ago, not just a few months. It really would be a good idea to read more before you lash out at people. Thank you.

5 Likes

Don’t you have some cushions to wash or something?

My reply may have been hasty but that post does not belong on this forum it is not about her experience as a host and the host’s side of the story is nowhere to be found.

1 Like

No. I’m organised. Don’t you have another bottle to open?

3 Likes

Not sure why such strong negative comments are appearing. As a host I was astounded by my experience as a guest. Thought I’d share and get feedback from fellow hosts with more Air experience.
As far as my cognitive function, I’ve been evaluated by several neurologists and had neuropsychological testing done at my request in order to find treatment for the chronic pain and other long term effects of my head injury which happend 4 years ago. I function at a very high level, any reduction is not acceptable, I’ve had to cut back on work and social activities due to pain and fatigue. That doesn’t make me an unreliable witness. I’m constantly praised by my colleagues and supervisors for the teaching and mentorship I provide. My patients and their families are very happy with the care provided, as are the guests who come to my home.
Correction, I was given an expresso, didn’t ask for seconds, or anything else. I as a host would have offered more and asked if there was anything else the guest might want.
The main reason for booking the room was so I could have a place to rest and recover from a long day of driving and doctors appointments. I didn’t want to drive over 100 miles in the dark, tired and in pain. I advised the host that I would be checking out at a certain time, she agreed. Then in the morning, I was told 10 min before, I had to be out 90 min early. That messed up my plans. After 4 years I’ve worked out how to manage my situation. I’m not looking for pity, I shared this as a guest and host, as while I’ve travelled extensively , staying in hotels and hostels and all sorts of places, this is the first time I used Air and wasn’t impressed.

3 Likes

Hi @Stephanie_Borns,

I second @jaquo’s comment. I’m all for people speaking their minds, but your comment directed at @Louise sounds unnecessarily nasty. Not to mention you lashing out at @jaquo for pointing this out. Let’s strive for a basic level of civility here, people. And let’s give each other the benefit of the doubt.

And to be clear, I’m talking about stuff like

4 Likes

@Louise I’m sending you a pm.

1 Like