Breaking news: Experienced host still making mistakes :(

These stories are HILARIOUS!! My little transgression is nothing compared to pants falling down, floods, trashing a car… I’m such a lightweight :smile:

1 Like

But it’s the post stating
"pulled the duvet off, and the lady was still in bed"
that takes the prize. So far…
I still chuckle out loud each time I think of it.

3 Likes

Yes, this one most certainly is the winner ! I can just imagine the swift movement that it took to pull the duvet totally off :see_no_evil:.

I was dictating into my phone while trying to explain to a potential guest that we couldn’t have pets here due to where our nervous cats. I didn’t proofread the message I sent her and it was only later that I read it. It said “We stated this shit on our Airbnb description.” I don’t know how “this shit” got into my message but I will always proofread anything I dictate from now on. I did apologize to her afterwards.

16 Likes

The Spellcheck Wizard!

This is my favourite

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

This is a fun read!

I think my most embarrassing moment was when I had only been hosting for about a month. I have a whole house rental with an apartment in the basement where I stay about half the time. There is a door down into the basement that I lock from the basement side so guests don’t have access to my space.

I had guests who said their flight arrived at midnight and they would probably be at my house around 1 am. I provided self check in instructions as I didn’t want to wait up until 1 am to greet them.

My boyfriend and I had gone out for dinner and drinks and got back to the house at about 11 pm. The house was completely lit up with every single light in the house shining through the windows. We went into the basement apartment and it was FREEZING cold from the AC. Thinking I had somehow neglected to turn off the lights and also somehow turned the AC down to 66, I flew up the stairs and burst into the dining room where I was met with a man jumping up from the dining room table in surprise! I don’t know who was more surprised but I apologized profusely and said I hadn’t expected them at the house until 1 am. He said they took an earlier flight (why didn’t they let me know??). I quickly departed but not before I requested they keep the AC at a more reasonable temperature since my apartment doesn’t have a separate thermostat. Who the heck turns the AC down to 66 degrees!

This is the best AirHost thread ever! Thank you for giving me some laughs today. I almost spit coffee onto my keyboard when I read “We stated this shit on our Airbnb description.” Oh, and yanking the duvet off the sleeping lady: unforgettable. humiliating. mortifying. And a great tale to tell. LOL. I’ll add mine when one suitably hilarious or embarrassing comes to mind.

4 Likes

This just happened to me around the same time as you. It’s been cold here even by California Standards. I knew the guests had checked in but I thought they had gone out to dinner. I sent my husband to make sure the heat was on and set to the national hospitality standard of 72 degree F. The space is separate in the back. Dinner time, its dark and not a light on. He opens the door and luckily says a hello to which there was a response. So embarrassed. He immediately threw me under the bus as having sent him. Luckily they took it as a gesture of good hosting and didn’t dock us. I won’t be repeating that sit com anytime soon.

3 Likes

My guests text me to let me know they have checked out. I dictate to the phone because the keyboard is small and I am old. I in kind thank them for being five star “guests.” My phone interprets this word as gas. So my guests received the message thanks for being five star gas!

5 Likes

Guests turned up with a truck, wanted to fit it in the garage, I said it won’t fit, but they wanted to try. I was worried that the back of the truck would go through the back wall and into the downstairs bathroom, it’s an awkward little road, with a tiny ‘non-truck’ garage. It’s difficult enough for me to reverse in with a car, let alone a truck. Had to stand there and watch tentative manoeuvres in the ice (not the 80s synth duo), with a man at the back who would frantically pat the truck if it got too near shelves or doorways. In the midst of all this, some young man approached me, and asked if he could possibly use my toilet. I dismissed him with a wave - it’s best not to get into a conversation with strange people in the city centre, you could end up paying for their next fix, or contribute towards a night in the hostel, etc. "Oh please, I won’t be long"
No way am I going to let a homeless person into my house unaccompanied whilst monitoring the reversing.
“NO!” I hissed, “I’m busy with my new guests!”
“But I’m one of your new guests”

8 Likes

I once texted a female member of staff, to see if she was coming in this morning.
Message read “are you coming on, this morning?”

2 Likes

Somehow, I once forgot to put ANY towels in the guest apartment. We had had to go out for the evening soon after the guests arrived. I had told them how to get to restaurants etc. We arrived back later than they did and went straight to bed.

When I got up in the morning I saw the set of nicely-folded guest towels sitting on the kitchen table. Horrors! I rushed downstairs hoping they hadn’t yet showered but they were calmly sitting down on their terrace (in their swimming costumes) having breakfast. I apologised profusely and added jokingly that now they could take a shower at last. Oh, that’s fine they said, they had showered the night before but it was so warm they just sat out here on the terrace and were dry in a few minutes!

Well, it was 30C degrees, and they were Swedish …

6 Likes

Okay, I’ve got one for ya. You come home to an empty house after buying yourself your first pair of Sonos wi-fi speakers. Oh, joy! You test them out by playing Janis Joplin’s Bobby McGee at full volume and singing along at the top of your lungs, just KNOWING you sound EXACTLY like her (or not, since you’re tone deaf and you sing off-key). You open your bedroom door while belting out the most passionate “La da da da da da da da da” and there, at the dining table, sits that hunky guest you thought was gone for the day. Well, so much for that.

7 Likes