Breakfast Hampers

I love to offer a few things that are affordable to me and while some guests might use a lot others won’t use at all but it’s still available and seen as a positive and extra benefit.

I offer coffee, tea, oatmeal packets, protein shakes, eggs, and cream. I’ve had some guests use them and others not and it all works out in the wash. It’s a nice extra and I’ve had people not use anything and still comment on how nice it is that it’s available.

Also…do it until someone abuses it has happened for me. I used to offer a liquor cabinet with whiskey, gin, vodka, and small bottles of tonic and soda with a note to enjoy the libations in moderation. I had a couple people take advantage and now I don’t offer it because it isn’t cost worthy.

You can certainly message your guest privately and ask if they’d like you to pick up some groceries to stock and if so you’ll send them a price assessment at the end of their stay for this. It requires a lot more work on your part though.

Offering a few affordable items has worked best for me.

1 Like

thanks so much everyone for your thoughts and to K9KarmaCasa for the detail about where there can be extra charges. I don’t think I will do that as via resolution centre not a great feel for the guest I think. It’s a matter of how I could recieve payment when it is purchased after the booking.

I have a house that sleeps 7 (4 bedrooms) and a studio that sleeps up to 4. Semi rural. In New Zealand - I think judging by all the responses overnight this forum is mostly northern hemisphere based?

I have the standard items like bread and jams and milk, coffee machine etc. I think I will simply ask them prior to arrival if they would like some fresh eggs, or what their breakfast plans would be and leave the gourmet hamper for now.

Pricing - I am one of the highest in the area, but I believe also one of the highest in standards/newness etc so will see how it goes. We have only been listed for about 10 days and already have 5 bookings from 2 people to 6 people so that will let me get some reviews by people who have agreed to the tariff. I find it interesting how AirBnb show you how many days you have missed out on a booking and by how much but I’m not sure if it’s apples with apples as the price differential sometimes is huge - makes me think comparing it to a private room and not a whole house.

We are mostly US but there are several in Australia (Deb and Jam on this thread) and a few from NZ.

Don’t pay any attention to their price tips or smart pricing. Know your market by doing your own research. Good luck, it sounds like you are off to a good start.

1 Like

This is excellent advice. Airbnb doesn’t know your place, you do. Be confident.

2 Likes

I just started too abd the price tips are ridiculous. If someone booked a place for $80 less than my price, then it was 2.5 hours away and in another state, abd a room versus a whole house.

1 Like

I wonder if she still hosts

We have a whole house rental in the Caribbean and our rate starts at about $400US. It’s not uncommon for AirBnB to tell me that someone booked a different place for $350 a night less! As others have said - ignore the price tips! AorBnB starts from your price then discounts from there to give you a recommended price.
As to your original question - we are in a rather rural area with no restaurants in walking distance. So we provide a welcome basket with a light dinner and breakfast supplies (only enough for the first night and next morning). We offer cooking services, but charge extra ($20 US to do the cooking for a dinner for up to six people). They pay our cook directly in cash, or they set up a credit line with us through PayPal prior to arrival and we pay the cook for them.

1 Like

I think I read here once that someone had seen that her house was for sale. A vague memory.

I remember her vaguely. I think she left shortly after I signed up on the forum. Her place would probably be a good one for the Plus category.

1 Like