Breakfast for Lunch

I’m very careful about that kind of thing. Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

“No problem. The price will be (insert a high price to cover the cost including your time), as I have to make a special trip to the store to get replacements for the guests over the next few days. Will that be cash or card?“

1 Like

I live 8 miles from the nearest grocery store, so it’s not easy to pop to the market before heading off to the woods. I do keep decaffeinated coffee, but with a small operation, I simply can’t prepare or allow for every dietary need. It simply isn’t feasible to offer gluten-free bread or vegan muffins and then have someone eat one or two. Guests are pretty wonderful about this. If they have special diets, they bring their own food.

When we were hosting, we always kept a bowl of fruit (mainly apples and bananas) on the counter. We invited guests to grab a piece of fruit or two to take with them as they left for the day. Some did. Most didn’t.

I think it was a nice gesture.

2 Likes

I have to tell you all, I’m having a lot of fun reading your suggestions. You’ve sent it into realms I’ve never even contemplated.

1 Like

Oh, I understand.

We were hosting a quick breakfast for a group of people whose food preferences we didn’t know. So we make keto type muffins that were GF using almond flour (very filling) and some egg/veggie based, with the fruit being berries (which is low sugar). But it’s a challenge these days!

It’s good that your guests are understanding and bring their own food if they are particular.

Plus with the price of gas, it would be costly to run to the market often. Here in Jersey gas is $4.99. I guess I shouldn’t complain, I heard that in France it’s 2 euros a liter.

They can have as much as they want at breakfast. It’s when they have as much as they want breakfast and then also want to bring enough for lunch. I make it very clear that I offer breakfast. And if they take enough food for lunch, that is creating shortages and inconvenience. The good news is that it doesn’t happen very often. And the idea of a little bag lunch might solve the problem. It’s ironic that a lot of these people say they are so pleased that I offer food since many Airbnbs don’t. Anyway, I’ve gotten some very good advice and I will I have plenty to think about. The response has been overwhelming and kind and helpful.

1 Like

Keep your bread & pastries frozen? Then only dispense as & when; & if a guest wants extra for a packed lunch & you oblige, you can dispense as you see fit, not the whole stock! - I find if I take frozen sandwiches/pastries out on the hills, they are nicely defrosted by lunchtime! And not stale! And less likely to be squashed.

3 Likes

They can also freeze some types of cheese. I usually keep gouda and cheddar frozen. Can also freeze fresh fruit. I line a tray with wax paper and put fresh berries on it, then freeze them. Once frozen I remove them from the tray and put them in a zip lock bag.

1 Like

I do that with the English muffins. I wasn’t aware that it worked as well for other kinds of pastries.

1 Like

I agree that not all guests will have breakfast so it evens out. Also, allowing the occasional guest to take extra with them creates a positive experience which, hopefully, will generate a higher review and create more reservations. Look at the long term - not the short term. I also will re-evaluate and compare my listing with others to be sure I am comparably priced. With all prices going up over the last 6 months, I realized I was in the very low area of the price range and just raised my price a few dollars. That will help offset the higher cost of electricity - bill has increased by 25%!

2 Likes

You make a couple of very good points. Thank you.

1 Like

Hello,

We stayed with a lovely host in a remote area of Newfoundland.In her listing she mentioned that breakfast was included in the price, no refunds if not interested. (I can’ recall how she worded that but it was very diplomatic). She then offered a few choices which the guests had to tick off what they wanted. She then spoke about the great hiking in the area and mentioned she would be delighted to make up a picnic basket for the cost of x. She again provided choices and requested x days notice.

I think all of the above makes it clear enough that you are running a business and not a charity yet it can be put in such a way that guests feel both welcome and hungry

4 Likes

Do best of both worlds:

Breakfast is breakfast. It consists of X cups of coffee/tea and X number of pastries, eggs, whatever is in the basket. A menu CLASSIFIED as breakfast IN HOUSE.

They like it? Want Brunch/Lunch? Wonderful! Here’s the Brunch/Lunch menu!!

Create a similar offering, but more savory, sandwiches, rolls, ham, etc… to TAKE AWAY.

It just gets added to the bill. Another separate item. Customers will want to roll it into one.

No. TWO things. Breakfast in house and Brunch/Lunch with option to take away.

Sounds delish!

Pat, P.S.

As much as they want is a big mistake. It gets undervalued. Make the choices limited. It makes them more special and valuable in the eyes of the guest.

If they want more, you do a “special” lunch to take away.

Thank you. This gives me some good ideas.

A little menu/note on the table “To go .,” Coffee X Muffins X (if available) etc …… or pls ask/check what is available as we strive to minimize food waste .,

1 Like

This is a very interesting idea. Thank you.

When we first bought our freezer in 1970, we were advised that anything WILL freeze but not all will taste right when unfrozen.
I freeze EVERYTHING! So far, after all this time, very little has been uneatable. However now there is a new weapon to use with a freezer—an Airfryer! Badly named as it is not a fryer. Yes it will cook excellent frozen chips without the addition of oil but I love mine for it’s use as a de-froster of baked goods. Croissants, brioche, small pies, they are all like freshly baked. It can be used as a smalloven without the waste of warming up time too. I don’t have shares in any company sadly! As an experienced cook and B&B owner of many years, I say experiment and use innovations when you get the chance

2 Likes