Breakfast Delivery - Awkward Feels

No. I don’t alert them in any way except that it is clearly stated in my listing that breakfast is refreshed, in the rooms, every day. I reiterate this feature as part of my house tour as well. At least 95% of my reviews speak of the breakfast in glowing terms. If anyone was uncomfortable, they certainly haven’t mentioned it, and body language hasn’t shown anxiety over the issue either.

This has worked for me with our setup. Not sure how it would work for others.

1 Like

I’d be interested in hearing other hosts’ feedback on this, but why not just ask your guests?

During my first season I asked a lot of direct questions about what was/wasn’t working for them. I got some excellent candid feedback. I’m a research analyst, not a hotelier, by training so the bit of self-deprecation and asking for help/advice seemed well received by guests. It felt like we were a team trying to work out the kinks (I can see how it could veer into “can you nitpick me in your review”, though)

When I left breakfast items, I’d stock the fridge before the guests’ arrival. (I’ve since discovered most groups liked to eat at nearby restaurants, so now just offer coffee/tea and some single-serve oatmeal and breakfast bars).

2 Likes

Doesn’t this keep you chained? What if they don’t show up at the time and you are here waiting?

1 Like

We have 4 rooms in our home we rent out so we normally have multiple guests staying. I work from home so I don’t have the problem of being chained. I have had people show up 20, 30, 60 minutes late for the time they chose! It really irks me! Now, the first morning, I try to make something that’s quick, like poached eggs. If I see they are prompt people, then the next morning I’ll make something that takes longer. Sometimes I wait to make sure people are up before I finish preparing their breakfast.Most people are on time. If they are late, I say something to the affect that it’s hard to serve a hot breakfast that’s not over cooked if your 20 minutes late.

Please bring someone breakfast :wink:

5 Likes

Bahahahahahahha. Good one, I deserved that.

It just snowed on all the summits of the Big Island but I doubt my lanai will see much frost. Unless it’s from the margaritas I will make later as I finally block Christmas Eve and Christmas from being booked. :snowman_with_snow:️:snowman_with_snow:️:snowman_with_snow:️:snowman_with_snow:️

Why don’t you just put juice and not cut fruits in a fridge for their whole stay. They don’t have to have fresh squeezed juice. It’s a luxury. Plus your want to be bothered with everyday preparation of breakfast.? Keep things simple and in a long run it works better than everyday catering to your guests.

I personally wouldn’t want to receive texts every morning when I am on vacation .

1 Like

Or they have kept their phones on silent.

1 Like

That’s impressively elaborate. And sounds tasty too! I don’t recall having heard the term congee before. I see it’s a type of porridge.

ok so after almost 8 years of hosting - breakfast and guests do not really mixed - best thing to do which makes everyone go at their own pace and therefor be relaxed - get a small fridge toaster kettle cups plates etc and create a space for them - you put everything they will need for their stay in the kitchenette and let them get on with it = best way everyone happy !!! you don’t have to worry about being on call and the guests don’t feel like they have to be on parade to suit you…

2 Likes

Happy Holidays hosts! I am away and haven’t had a chance to respond to some of the suggestions, but I will when I’m back home.

The guests ended up leaving this fabulous feedback with no mention of being disturbed during their stay! Still, we are going to be restructuring our breakfast procedure.

Looking forward to reading and applying some of these suggestions. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@WandaStarshine. Lovely review… you will find the breakfast style that works for you, though it might take a few stabs at different routines. Worth the effort to not feel awkward.

2 Likes

Three nights ago my guests could not get in the room with the digital code I’d supplied. They texted but I slept through it. Then they called. Failing that, they could ring the doorbell and that would get all the dog guests going. No sleeping through that.

I can almost never put my phone on silent because I never know when a guest will need something. It’s annoying to get other things like the Airbnb ping at 2 am when someones instant book notification comes through but there’s really no way around it.

Interesting thread. I have never offered breakfast in my private apartment rentals. Now with my newly opened guesthouse.I know I need to offer breakfast, yet since I do not live in the same building I am still hesitant about committing to that (I feel it would be one more point for people to leave negative reviews about if its not a freshly cooked breakfast or home-made breakfast items, especially if I am not there and have to depend on my housekeeper to take care of it). Any suggestions about what shop-bought or ready-made breakfast items that I can stock up on would be appreciated to leave in guests’s rooms? Each room has a small kitchenette fully-equipped for cooking - I was told that some accommodations leave the raw materials such as eggs, milk and stuff for guests to cook their own breakfast but I am not sure this would be appreciated since they are on holiday and probably do not want to bother with cooking. Any suggestions appreciated.

The great thing about Airbnb is you can do it anyway you want! There is no obligation to supply breakfast. Many hosts don’t offer a breakfast of any kind.Since you have a kitchenette, I think leaving some raw foods would be very much appreciated. It’s much easier for hosts like us who rent rooms and live in the place we’re renting to supply a cooked breakfast. Still, many do not. It’s totally up to you what you want to provide. Just be sure you are clear in your listing so the guests know what to expect.

1 Like

You are right that every little thing you offer can be a cause to criticize… I used to offer bagels, papaya, coffee and juice but after a guest smacked me because they were not organic or gluten free or range free I simply stopped. No point in offering yet one more thing they can downgrade you on. My place has a kitchenette and I leave them on their own. I say self catering in the listing so they know it is on them to provide.

I also write

Coffee, food and other provisions are the responsibility of the guest and are not provided.

1 Like

Hey, what don’t they understand about self catering? I now supply, in the fridge, (Water) Juice ,Bagels, Croissants, milk, sugar etc. Enough for four people until the shops open. Washing powder for two washes, dishwash, four toilet rolls, shampoo, soap etc. and instructions on how to get to the nearset shop with opening times.

It is clear in my listing that the accommodation is self-catering, and no one has actually complained about it - I just feel that it would be a bonus to offer breakfast. I have been providing a welcome pack with some staple foods such as pasta, tomato sauce, water and wine in the private apartments, which is usually appreciated, but the guest house has more of a hotel feel so guests do ask my housekeeper about breakfast. Moreover when I read reviews of competitors in my area who score the highest ratings, they all mention amazing breakfasts, home-made pastries and the likes… its much more of a challenge to provide all this when you are not living on site though.
@konacoconutz I was thinking more in the lines of the food not always being the freshest or best if I have to rely on my staff providing it without supervision, but being downgraded for not offering organic or gluten free is something else that I have not thought of, but can definitely see it happening… guess I will stick to self-catering after all :confused:

I actually do provide coffee and tea. I just don’t tell them that until we are in the apartment and I show them the coffee itself. And they are always happy about it.
I m not technically self catering. I do provide starter TP, dish soap, cleansers, etc, but it’s better to bill it as self catering so you are not obligated.

2 Likes

Same here I do provide all that too, and whereas in the apartments I do not feel it is an obligation, in the guest house it is definitely expected for the most part - I can get big complaints if they finish their TP and it is not replaced!!

What about basic cleaning products (apart from dish soap)? Do you guys provide this in self-catering apartments? I feel I do not have to provide these but I once got a somewhat negative review that there were no cleaning materials in the apartment…