Breakfast after midnight

I provide breakfast (toast, cereal etc) and I’m also very clear that guest cooking is not an option. It’s a small apartment that I live and work in.

I’ve just been woken up at 12:30am by burnt toast smells (so bad that every door and window in the apartment is now open). God only knows what they were doing, whatever it was also involved the microwave.

Firstly - is that tomorrow’s breakfast they just ate? Secondly - can I ask them to leave in the morning? They knew I was here and asleep in the room just off the kitchen. Entirely inconsiderate.

I’m going to message Air BnB urgently now, just want to know what the deal is and if I’ll be penalised.

It seems they broke your house rules if you don’t allow kitchen access and cooking.

Can you tell us what happened?

Here’s what happened. I called Air BnB (very helpful). They said they’d call the guests at 7am the following morning, with a view to re-housing them. I was asked if I’d already conveyed my concerns to the guests, which of course I had (calmly, I might add, I don’t do shouting or nastiness). By the time I was off the phone it was around 1:30am and I went to tell the guests what was going to happen in the morning. While I was in my room with the door shut they had packed up and left. No note, bedroom light left on and door unlocked (it needs a key to lock and of course they left the key indoors when they departed).

I spoke to Air BnB again to say they don’t need to call and re-house the guests because they chose to leave. So now I have to wait for up to 14 days to be sure the guests don’t leave me a bad review. That seems odd, however I think they left out of embarassment and I’m hopeful that will be the end of it.

This morning I found discarded cheese on toast in the bin. So it seems also that they stole some of my cheese (which would explain the horror on the face of the male guest when I got up and he was putting something into the microwave).

I’ve had loads of lovely experiences and won’t be letting the antics of one couple put me off what is a very enjoyable way to avoid having permanent flatmates.

2 Likes

Wow, they were not too bright. They could have quietly made and consumed cheese sandwiches, and you would have been none the wiser until you checked your cheese supply.

3 Likes

Something about this statement is so, so, right. Kudos to you for putting it into perspective.

4 Likes

Your house, your rules.

I’m not sure I would be as rigid about this. They ate some cheese. They did not steal your diamond jewelry. They burned toast. That isn’t unusual. I would hate to think that my guest went to bed hungry. If a host confronted me about having my breakfast early, I would’ve left too. You are lucky they didn’t damage something out of spite.

3 Likes

if you’ve been affected by any of the issues raised in this thread, you can contact the BBC helpline, on 0370 010 0222

2 Likes

I’m glad this experience hasn’t put you off entirely from hosting, but I also find asking the guest to be relocated to be a fairly strong response. Cooking at night in a shared home and eating your food is very inconsiderate and worth noting in the review, but I personally can’t see asking AirBnb to remove the guest unless the guest continued to break house rules after I’d asked them not to.