Booking request from a guest with prior review mentioning extortion

Yes, both hosts and guests can respond. You have 30 days to do so.

2 Likes

Hi @GardenFairy,
I have two indoor cats, and I’ve had a half dozen or so guests that claimed to be allergic to cats. I keep my house pretty clean, vacuum every day, and don’t let the cats in the guest rooms (most of the time). I don’t have any fancy HEPA filters or anything. None of the guests who claimed allergies have had a problem in my house, so I think you may be fine, at least in terms of the allergy thing. I’ve already commented on the meowing thing. :slight_smile:

Talk about allergies! I once had a guest who complained and gave me a 3 star for cleanliness. She claims she has trouble sleeping and its because she’s “unsure whether the room is clean, even though it looks clean” (her exact words). Other than “looking clean”, I’m not sure what else she expects of me - should I maybe have produced a professional report on the germ/dust level of the apartment vis-a-vis the benchmark.

Out of the 37 reviews I’ve had, 33 guests have give me a “sparkling clean” compliment.

1 Like

My approach is to deny any booking that has any sign of a former bad experience. If a guest is willing to misbehave even once, in my opinion they’re willing to do the same in another circumstance. I use the chrome extension AirReview that enables you to see what previous reviews that guest has left other hosts - I find these the most telling as many times guests will nit pick a host in their review while a host left a glowing review. I don’t want to host someone like that, not worth it - I have the demand that allows me to decline many inquiries, fortunately.

3 Likes

I think more and more hosts are leaving real honest reviews. A few good ones is, obviously, not an indicator of a stellar guest. We always hope they are, and many times they are. I had a guest last weekend that had 2 nice reviews from other local hosts so I accepted him. He and his companions were not horrid but they were not nearly as clean as the former hosts claimed. They left the stove covered in oily splatters, a dishpan of filthy water in the sink and while they “washed” their dishes and cookware, it wasn’t truly clean. I had to rewash all of it. I always check anyway. Adding to this was the fact that one of the young men traveling with him decided that my backyard was his urinal. I mean, one time, in an emergency (bathroom occupied, doing the potty dance) I can understand. However, when checking backyard security footage after departure I came across not less than 5 different occasions of him peeing in the backyard. :roll_eyes: My review reflected the issues. I kept it short and sweet, but truthful. I even said he might be just fine if he was alone. Each host has to make their own decision based on reviews. For me, an unfavorable review that said a guest was too chatty, had an issue with personal space, no problem, my listing is a stand alone. Bur for a shared host, it might not be ok. I am very glad to see more hosts are leaving truthful reviews.

I can state that I still see many that do not review honestly. A guy with a group of 12 plus 2 infants from a few weeks back had 6 - 5* reviews this is the review I left:

I just don’t get the other hosts reviews on XXXXXX. We personally would not welcome him and his group back. We also would not recommend him to other hosts.

1 Like

Thank YOU for being honest! Some of the skewed reviews are new hosts that are wanting to build good ratings and do not understand that the review system is double blind.

We’ve discussed this previously and plenty of hosts here are happy to have guys peeing outside. For me that would be a “no thanks” and I’d flat tell them I’m turning them down for that reason.

1 Like

Again, I ask if you indicated WHY because this would be helpful in preventing the next host from only questioning YOUR review and not the behavior of the guest.

1 Like

Unfortunely no. You can not comment on an on going claim not that I really expect them to cover it though this time, but they did cover one about 16 months ago (my 1st an only claim). So I was very cautious with what I posted. They were traveling around for another few weeks booking a few days or day before and one host did an inquiry to me and I told her the whole story. She declined their booking request.

You are allowed to (and should) post about the behavior. Just don’t indicate the claim status or that it is even a claim but do out about the behavior.

Great about telling the inquiring host the whole story at least.

What was it?

Lol, I doubt many hosts are happy about it, just some of us don’t care.

RR

2 Likes

New poll? LOL.

On previous threads there were arguments like it’s good for the compost pile (just put a sign I guess) and they would rather have them outside than inside wetting all on and around the toilet. It seemed like enthusiasm not indifference to me.

1 Like

Lol, yes this is true I remember the compost pile comment, which to me is gross af I use my compost in my garden, to grow food and have always thought that human waste was a no no. Just on the ick factor alone for me.

Welcome to my listing, feel free to pee outside as long as not in view of the neighbors!

I think if I saw something like that prior to booking I would move on.

Men do pee outside though, and one of these days the cameras may pick up a cute one🤣 and that has value in itself

RR

1 Like

A Gentleman should NEVER urinate outside unless he is on safari and the servants have neglected to bring the portable lavatory.

2 Likes

If a cat is on site, and the guest is allergic, I would decline. We have no way of knowing if that allergy could turn into something serious.

1 Like