Booking.com for a room in our home

I know I’ve read here that Booking.com is not for renting out just a room and bath in your own home. That’s right, isn’t it? I looked at their website and couldn’t find anything specific about whole homes vs a room in a home.

No, it isn’t correct. The property type is “Homestays”.

JF

3 Likes

If you offer a room, just be 150% clear that it is indeed a room. In our market it is usually entire units and in the beginning we frequently had people that did not get the homeshare part. It stopped when I plastered ‘B&B’ and ‘We share our space’ etc in big fat bold letters right on the photos.

3 Likes

Thanks. That’s good to know about BDC.

I list two rooms in my home on Booking. It works well, although there’s not nearly as much opportunity to describe the property in your own words like on Air. Like AlexSJ, I’ve found it’s gotten a lot better in terms of guests expectations, but it’s still important to be really clear and send a clear message to guests as soon as they’ve booked. My message starts with:

“Please note that you have booked a private room in a shared house, not a hotel room. You will have private access to your bedroom, but all other rooms, including the bathroom, may be shared with the homeowner and any other guests.”

3 Likes

Very helpful info. Thanks!