Blocked Dates Becoming Unblocked

There a two things I’ve come to expect from Airbnb. They will bring me guests. They will get my money to me. Aside from that, if I don’t expect anything I won’t be disappointed. And like you, I’ve found that if I just count the money I’m quite a bit more calm.

2 Likes

Yes, I have had that happen to me. I called Airbnb and they said it was impossible and it couldn’t have been them unblocking dates - but it absolutely wasn’t me. I am paranoid about blocking out dates that I don’t want the property let out.

Yep, just happened to me again. Blocked dates using the phone app and someone IB’d. I can accommodate, I had merely blocked some R&R days for me in between periods of heavy personal travel, so I’m not calling to get an admin cancel, but grrrrr, annoying.

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder. I just went in and put a rule set for my previously blocked time and tested it on an incognito window. I’ll periodically check to make sure the rule set hasn’t been erased/modified.

It’s almost as if Airbnb doesn’t even want us to be able to have that function any longer.

Clearly we need to stay put, not take a day off and wait for bookings to maybe or maybe not come in to satisfy the algorithm gods.

RR

I have always seen the price tips effected by my price daily changes as well as my huge increases on days I don’t want booked.

1 Like

But if it is made OBVIOUSLY high so as to prevent booking like at least 10-100 times the usual price I think lost reasoning people will understand what is going on and inquire if they really want to know. Yes, there is some risk of people being annoyed and never coming back but I think that is less a problem (in general) than blocking altogether. Obviously the more competition there is the more important it is as well. In my area where I really only have 1-5 total “competitors” and some of those are my other listings…it is not a problem that I worry about at all. And in my case I would usually be willing to adjust my plans if I were to get someone booking at that high rate anyways. And lastly, if it is an occasional or regularly scheduled occurrence you can back it up with rules…I have yet to delve into the rule sets.

Looking back it might have helped me when I was getting my WEMBA when I blocked out every other Friday and Saturday night. I got zero bookings in that listing for a whole year of the two years when I did that. It was also while I was newer at Airbnb and before rule sets existed.

That’s correct. As an Airbnb host you are never, ever allowed to have a vacation and if your friends or family come to town you should tell them that they need to go stay in a hotel or a hostel. If you really, really need a day off, you must hire a co-host so you can take bookings for that day. You are not allowed to have a life apart from hosting. That’s all in the fine print.

2 Likes

I have tried the high price approach. The system just overrides my prices. Even with mart pricing turned off! It is driving me mad. Same two 3 day blocks have now been unblocked over 10 times. I have to go in every day and block them.

I have now tried the high price approach. The system just overrides my prices. Even with smart pricing turned off! It is driving me mad. Same two 3 day blocks have now been unblocked over 10 times. I have to go in every day and block them.

Have you tried making a special rule set for those dates?

1 Like