Blocked because I have a claim for a cleaning fee that has not been resolved

I didn’t see anyone ask the way you’ve expressed. I also didn’t see a lot of helpful advice being given. She DID show evidence that the guest brought a cat, against her rules. 9 loads of laundry to deep clean even a small unit to get rid of allergens is not unreasonable. Lighten up and be more helpful next time. I thought this was a forum to help each other.

2 Likes

Were you talking to me?

Perhaps the host herself might have chosen to return here and dialogue with the other hosts who responded, to clarify, instead of taking instant offense to the responses and you then speaking for her.
In other words, maybe it’s the OP who could use some “lightening up”. There were in fact some responses intended to be helpful to her, for instance I suggested an air purifier/ozone machine and others tried to give her the info that some violations by guests who have proven themselves to be dishonest, are best not pursued monetarily because of how Airbnb responds, suspending listings if a guest reports a privacy violation.

3 Likes

Sometimes it’s helpful to be told things you don’t want to hear or to point out things you haven’t thought of. It’s not an echo chamber. Everyone here is freely giving of their time and if you don’t care for the gift, there’s no need to be so overtly ungracious about it.

4 Likes

Well put! Now for “the rest of the story”, as Paul Harvey used to say. NJH heard back from Air within a few days from when they blocked her calendar. They opened her calendar back up, and she actually got the $150 through the resolution center. They “were not at liberty” to tell her what the alleged safety violation was, which I find pretty odd. But, it’s over, the good guy won & such is the life of a host!
Thanks for all of the input. I know I’ve learned a lot from this discussion.

3 Likes

They do that, and it’s way beyond odd, it’s unbelievably disrespectful and is exactly how dictatorships work- punish someone because they are considered guilty until proven innocent.

Your neighbor is lucky- at least they told her that the guest accused her of a privacy violation. Half the suddenly suspended hosts get suspended for weeks and told that they can’t disclose why, due to privacy concerns. Hosts are accused of who knows what, put on the naughty chair, then at some point told “Just don’t do that again”.
“Do what again?”
“We can’t tell you, but you’ll get delisted for good if we get another report like the one we won’t disclose to you.”

Thanks for the update- glad it worked out for her.

2 Likes

The most ridiculous cancellation reason from a guest is they find an offensive smell……Airbnb - here is your refund!
Host…… the guest smoked/ vaped/ did something ……Airbnb - Prove it!

7 Likes

When I first joined this forum, I got my feelings hurt a few times, too. Then I realized I needed to be less sensitive to be in the hospitality business. This forum is a good training ground, and I’ve stuck around for years.

8 Likes

This has been a very informative discussion for me as a newbie host in the offing. So thanks everyone! But makes me a bit nervous- who on earth would have thought the guest would have brought up a privacy/safety issue?? I can understand that for something like an allergy, having to deep clean everything IS needed. It doesn’t necessarily matter if the guest has been there only one night: some people - and cats- manage to get themselves over everything in a very short period of time!! And depending on your setup a lot of washing could indeed be involved. Animal hair can be very pesky to clear completely. I know as we do have animals & somehow even in rooms where they are not allowed to go, sometimes, somehow I spot a couple of hairs when am cleaning- & wonder how on earth they managed to get there!!

4 Likes

This is a standard trope that Airbnb instantly responds to in the guests favor. I’m never surprised when somebody comes on here and mentions how a guest retaliates with wild accusations in order to get a refund.

1 Like

Every host who has been reading hosting forums for awhile. There are even online blogs where guests tell others how to scam free stays. Reporting “undisclosed cameras”, privacy issues, safety issues and claiming there were bedbugs or cockroaches comprise the main arsenal of scammers and retaliators. Airbnb instantly suspends listings for these reports, pending an “investigation”, regardless of whether all they would have to do is take 2 minutes to look at the listing to see that the “undisclosed cameras” are clearly mentioned. Hosts are considered guilty until “proven” innocent. Doesn’t matter whether a host has been hosting for 10 years, has a 5* rating and a thousand great reviews, Airbnb will act on a “report” from a brand new guest.

1 Like

I am not a cat, and somehow I find cat hairs on me all the time!
Laziest roommates my wife and I could ever have, these cats.

1 Like

We know which foods my son is allergic to == just about ALL! He has to be hospitalized if he makes a mistake,