Blocked because I have a claim for a cleaning fee that has not been resolved

I don’t separate anything but whites because I add a bit of bleach to white washes. I simply don’t get enough water supply to be washing multiple loads of less than full loads.

Speaking of why washing things separately will help them last longer, though, here’s a tip to keep zippers in good condition, whether it’s a pillow protector, duvet cover, or your own clothes. Always zip up the zippers and button the buttons before washing. Open zippers agitating in the washing machine or tumbling in the dryer puts strain on them and can cause them to break.

3 Likes

Our late model LG machines are super high efficiency but also super high capacity. They “sense” the size of the load and only use the amount of water necessary. So you can literally throw in a few shirts and shorts (because you want to wear your faves on a short trip, for example) and they’ll be done in like 30 minutes. Or you can max it out and it’ll take more time and more water, but still use as little water as necessary.

Yes, I know modern machines can do that, but I haven’t got a spare several hundred dollars kicking around to replace my perfectly good machine.
I can also adjust the water level on my machine manually, but doing smaller loads still takes more water than full loads.

1 Like

Those semi-consumables are less costly to replace than a washing machine. I already replaced on 5 year washing machine for the first time in my life. I suspect it was doing an average of 3 loads of laundry (mine/airbnb/dog) every day of the year for 5 years.

I don’t always wash white sheets and towels together. But yes I will wash them together to balance the loads and run fewer loads.

What I won’t mix together is any airbnb stuff with my stuff due to then having to do a “de-contamination” procedure from exposure to concentrated dog hair. :smile:

Sure, that’s a different way to go with it. Makes sense. It’s not going to be the same for everyone. I was just explaining the basic theory of washing different materials together. You definitely do laundry more often than I ever have so I can’t see that I’m putting more wear on the machine. It’s a finite amount of laundry either way. I only do full loads too but I only do laundry a couple of times a month so I imagine it must come out in the wash…hahahaha (couldn’t help myself).

And I would never ever mix our dog-hairy laundry with other laundry either. That struggle is real :joy:

When my dog was alive, because of my sometimes dicey water situation, her dog bed covers (she never went on the furniture), went in what I call my dirty wash. My grubby painting and gardening clothes, my living room throw rug, etc. The throw rug had dog hairs on it again 5 minutes after it went back in place, anyway.

Pet hair is both a condiment and a fashion statement, you know. :joy:

2 Likes

I want it in the kitchen:

4 Likes

If this turns out to be a safety issue bc NJH went through the trash in order to verify the guest sneaking a cat in, I’d call BS! Seems to me that since the guest left said trash in the rental upon checking out, it became the host’s property, & therefore would not constitute an invasion of privacy.

2 Likes

I agree.

The fact is that guests sometimes throw out valuable things by mistake.

We have stopped buying a permanent filter for our drip coffeemaker because guests keep throwing it out by mistake (presumably – either that or they steal them). So, now we’re using paper filters.

The point is that there a Hist might go through trash for legitimate reasons, without any intent to invade the privacy of the guest.

1 Like

Guests that don’t sort the rubbish into recycling etc.
You don’t won’t a sticker on your bin because of poor sorting!
3 stickers - no rubbish collection for you!

4 Likes

Totally agree with how many loads of laundry it could take to get rid of cat dander. What has surprised me in reading through the responses to the OP, is the number of posts regarding how many loads of laundry there were, & those who suggested she should’ve not charged for the extra cleaning. Sure, leaving the guest a bad review would’ve given the host a feeling of satisfaction. But what it would not have accomplished, is getting reimbursed for the extensive cleaning that was done.
As an aside, I’m familiar w/ this situation- I helped w/ the deep clean, as this is my neighbor. I suggested she post about it on the forum, hoping she’d get some helpful feedback. Instead, she felt she was kind of being “victim blamed” for requesting reimbursement.
This is so obviously a retaliatory complaint to Air, made by an entitled guest who got caught (& called out on) breaking house rules. Now a fellow host is waiting to hear if this will cause her to be permanently banned from the platform, for something that no one can tell her what she is being accused of. I had hoped she would have received more support here… :cry:

4 Likes

It could be the guest felt that her mother never hugged her enough too but it’s not relevant.

Me too.

It’s like I’m the only one who watches Law & Order or something. Legally, the host could run the guest’s DNA from that trash if she so wished (which would be admittedly weird, but not an invasion of privacy).

:rofl:

4 Likes

I wash sheets and towels together and hang them outside. I have not had pilling, shrinkage or any other problems with this process.

1 Like

I agree. Unfortunately, all it takes is a guest to falsely accuse a host. Airbnb then blocks the calendar while they investigate. Truly unfair to the host.

2 Likes

Great laundry lesson! For decades I’ve been doing laundry the way my Mom taught me. I think we’ve learned a lot since the days of June Cleaver! :joy:

Laughed out loud on this one! As it turns out (upon further investigation), said entitled guest is a freaking therapist :joy::dizzy_face:

2 Likes

:joy:

Damn. She left her trash out on purpose. :joy:

3 Likes

Some of the most personally screwed up people become therapists (like some fire-bugs become firefighters). To be fair, some of them are actually good therapists, but they can’t apply how they guide others to their own lives.

I’m sorry your friend felt victim-blamed. Obviously that wasn’t anyone’s intention. Some of us had a hard time understanding how it could involve so much extra cleaning time, but if the OP never came back to explain, choosing to view it as an attack instead, that’s her choice.

And of course the guest was nastily retaliatory. It isn’t that there was anything wrong with asking to be fairly compensated for the extra cleaning time, it’s that hosts have to weigh that against the risk of the guest retaliating and Airbnb suspending the listing.

A guest like this, who starts out knowingly and intentionally breaking the rules, then hiding the cat, as well as evidence of the cat (empty food containers, cat poop), is the kind of guest who is likely to make up BS about the host or the place, leading Airbnb to suspend the listing and block the calendar, so that is why it might sometimes be wiser to eat the extra cost and just blast them in the review. Airbnb suspending the listing is also costly, as you can’t get bookings.

When a guest shows you they don’t care about anyone but themselves (she couldn’t have cared less if the host ended up with a life-threatening allergic reaction), be wary of them, very wary.

2 Likes

That’s where I first saw it- on a set of tea towels, potholders and an apron in some novelty store. My finances were low then, I couldn’t justify an unnecessary expenditure, but I was sorry I didn’t buy some.

1 Like

I’m only sorry they made it a lesson in how to use fonts to look completely unhinged because I like the saying otherwise.

1 Like