Biting the Instant Book Bullet!

I just had my first month in 3 years of hosting where I had 100% occupancy (aside from the one day prep time I use, so there were 3 free days for 4 bookings).
What I see is the opposite-when I get bookings, my search ranking immediately starts to move up.

2 Likes

I’m so glad that IB is working out for you, @casailinglady !

I’ve used it for years (with no requirements - just the ‘Airbnb standard’ thing) and I’ve raved on about it here.

I keep two apartments full with 98% back to back stays, in an area which is supposedly seasonal. So it definitely works great for me.

I’ve also found (you may or may not, it might be nothing to do with IB) that guests book a long time in advance. I love that.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought I was doing great when they showed me I had occupancy rates above 80% until I realized they were counting preparation time and I was really only around 60%

1 Like

I’m not good with math but when your calendar looks like this:

1 Like

No one showed me what my occupancy rate was. I have one listing, a private room in my home. I’ve had every night booked except for my 3 prep time days, by 4 reservations, from the 4th of Dec to the 4th of January. That’s pretty simple.

1 Like

It looks like a lot of cleaning! :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Sometimes. But at only 220 sq ft to clean, many stays of about 15 hours and a system, it’s surprisingly manageable.

1 Like

Not to thread drift, but how much time do you invest in a routine cleaning? I’m at 3.5 hours at this point and am not sure if I really can trim that back anymore.

Back on topic. I have had IB set from the get go as I recall, and am happy with my first December.

A total of three unbooked days for the month. Average stay is 5+ days and of the six stays, two overlap into November/January. So… 28 days out of 30, my one BR place is 90% full this month. :yum:

1 Like

I might go IB. Right now my views are -40 per day but went as high as 120 in hot season. I think our ranking is high on search.
I don’t mind the communications and clarity of requests and getting info across before confirmation.

It takes me and hour and a half average to clean my small guest bedroom and the ensuite bathroom. If I’ve had a shorter booking (my minimum is 3 days), I speed clean and the sheets aren’t wrinkled, requiring ironing, I can sometimes get it down to an hour, if the windows need washing and the fan needs cleaning, etc, it might take me 2 hours. Then, depending on how bad I’ve let the kitchen get when I don’t have guests, it’ll take me another hour to clean the common spaces I share with guests. I live in the tropics, where there’s a lot of dust, bugs, gecko poop, etc, so I might be able to get things clean in a shorter amount of time if there weren’t those factors to contend with.

The quickest I can do is about 20-30 minutes not including the time the laundry takes. In other words I may start at 9 but not be finished until 11 because I like to put the same linens right back on the bed if possible. I’d say I average an hour of cleaning per stay over a year. That includes the special tasks that rotate through during the year. Today it was take the exhaust fan cover off, wash it and clean the inside mechanism of the fan, clean the tops of the bathroom shade, shower curtain rod and light fixture. Keep in mind this space has no kitchen (ette). It has a fridge, microwave, kettle and single cup keurig only.

Edit to add: sometimes I have amazing guests. A couple and their dog were just here for 6 nights. I was expecting a 2 hour clean. They didn’t use the keurig, didn’t use the filtered water or other consumables. 3 towels used. One garbage can had their recyclables, the other two almost full. One disposbable razor gone. They didn’t even use my soap or shampoo. At first I thought they took it but then found it under the sink. No hair on anything. It even smelled good. Not like scented but like…clean.

I already talked to them about direct booking anytime they are back in town.

3 Likes

Messy guests don’t add much time as I’m still going to everything as listed below regardless. I may have to take out more leftover goods in the refrigerator which isn’t a significant time sponge.

I’m always fine tuning my approach by being more organized in the process. Having additional sets of everything that needs to be refreshed, i.e., clean bed linens, blankets, comforter, towel sets and disposables.

This is my procedure when prepping my 1 BR 1 BA, 500 sq ft, attached apartment which has a six day average stay.

Remove all linens, towels, floor mats, etc which needs to be laundered, dump any ‘contributed’ goods and empty trash cans.

Start laundry, change loads (typically four to five) while cleaning apartment.

Vacuum carpeted and tile floors to remove dirt, hair, food bits. Vacuum/lint roll upholstered furniture.

At this point, the place is still dirty but void of clutter.

Wipe down and/or scrub all surfaces including sinks, counter tops, table tops, doors, knobs, etc.

Make the bed with another set of linens, blanket and comforter.

Replace towels, including bath, hand, make up, kitchen and beach sets.

Clean kitchen… fridge, stove top, oven, microwave, coffee machines, etc.

Review cleanliness of dishes, pots, utensils, etc and address as needed.

Scrub tub, shower doors, refresh items including full sized shampoo, conditioner, liquid body soap paper towels, coffee beans, bar soaps, toilet paper.

Clean toilet (my favorite activity!) using Comet cleanser, bowl brush and scrub brush. Final wipe down of throne using a Simple Green dilution.

Empty place of all cleaning items besides the double bucket and mop for floor mopping.

Mop tile floor (bathroom, vanity area, kitchen and entry) using Simple Green, making multiple passes. Follow up with vinegar rinses.

Exit and start with the outside area long enough for floor to dry which is followed by a final vacuum of floors to catch missed hairs or bits brought in during my activity.

Wipe down sinks and stainless fixtures to remove water spots.

Outside cleaning, not to be confused with ongoing maintenance and improvements, typically includes a simple hosing down of all surface, wipe down of the outside table and chairs, washer/dryer clean up, deal with outdoor trash and remove contents of the recyclable bins.

Deep cleaning or those ‘every few weeks/months’ needs such as ceiling fan cleaning, power washing of the exterior, etc, happen when an open period is available and as needed.

At best, I’m at about three and half hours.

2 Likes

That sounds like more or less my routine, except I have a much smaller space to clean than you do. The only thing I do differently is that vacuuming and washing the floor is the last thing I do- I don’t see the point in vacuuming before I’ve cleaned everything else and dusted, as more dirt and dust and bits of things will end up on the floor. I’m also lucky in that my guest room has only 3 pieces of furniture, all easily moveable- the single bed, the 2 little nesting teak bedside tables and a wooden chair (the desk is a concrete built-in) and the floor is tiled, with just a small throw rug. So I start the bedroom by stripping the bed, then moving the bedside tables and chair and throw rug out onto the balcony right outside the guest room, which gives me more space to move around easily. Bed can be shoved from one side of the room to the other on the felt pads, making it easier to clean one side of the room before moving on to the other. Then I clean the tables and chair and shake out the rug (if it doesn’t need washing) out on the balcony before moving them back in after the floor is dry.

2 Likes

My first IB was for 6 weeks out! I think that’s fabulous.

I agree with the posters who state that some of the best guests have had 0 reviews. I’ve seen that as well. But I’m taking the “baby steps” with IB and I will probably drop the additional requirements, but I’m a live-in host(ess) and want a bit more control.

I know folks without reviews can see my listing because I get requests and inquiries still.

1 Like