Bet this Air will be shut down....Whoops

A lot of people were wondering what all the police activity was yesterday on Red Hawk Drive. Here is the long version:

On November 28th, 2021, at 5:00 a.m., Medford Police officers responded to a business alarm at 1411 Hilton Road, which is a marijuana dispensary called Cloud 9 Wellness. Upon arrival, officers discovered the business was badly damaged, with windows broken and a metal roll up door was ripped from the building. The suspects were gone, and officers ultimately learned cash was taken from the cash registers, as well as an entire ATM machine, which contained an undisclosed amount of cash.

A review of surveillance camera revealed approximately seven suspects, all wearing masks, committed the burglary. Three vehicles were also observed associated with the suspects. The suspects worked quickly to commit the burglary, and used one of their vehicles to rip off the roll up door.

On November 28th, 2021 at about 5:45 p.m., the ATM was found in a field near Judy Way in west Medford. The ATM was heavily damaged and the cash was removed.

On November 29th, the case was turned over to detectives who learned that Ashland Police were investigating a similar marijuana dispensary burglary earlier that morning, in which a safe was stolen (APD Case 21-2428). Medford Police officers later found this stolen safe on November 29th, at 10:17 a.m., lying in the middle of the street in the 4100 block of Hemlock Drive.

Detectives received a tip of suspicious activity occurring at an AirBnB/VRBO residence in the 1500 block of Red Hawk Drive. Around 2:00 p.m., detectives responded to the address and observed the same vehicles seen on video in the Medford burglary, parked in the backyard, behind a fence, in what appeared to be an attempt to conceal them. Detectives conducted surveillance and observed suspects coming and going from the residence who matched the surveillance video. Additional police personnel responded, to include elements of the SWAT team. The residence was surrounded. Officers attempted contact, but the suspects ran inside. Officers began making announcements to exit the residence at 2:19 p.m. At 2:44 p.m., the suspects exited the residence and were taken into custody. Six suspects were arrested.

Detectives obtained a search warrant on the property and located evidence linking the suspects to both Medford and Ashland burglaries.

All six suspects are from the Oakland and Sacramento area of California, and all were charged with:

• Burglary 2nd Degree
  • Criminal Mischief 1st Degree
  • Theft 1st Degree
    Bail: $22,500 (edit: bail subject to change upon additional charges / court appearance)
    The suspects are facing similar charges for the Ashland case.

Who is going to shut it down, the hosts, the city, Airbnb? It must suck hosting accused criminals.

2 Likes

It must suck having your listing’s URL posted on a public forum in connection with a crime, too.

3 Likes

Do you think we should remove it?

1 Like

Let’s put it this way - I’d want it removing if it was my listing.

(Apart from other issues, it will play havoc with the host’s conversion rate if people are clicking it. :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Deffo remove.

Just my tuppence worth.

I reckon they’ve had enough shit piled on them over this issue.

JF

3 Likes

Agree it should be removed. A lovely listing. Hoping the best for them.

You wonder without pics how the criminals knew they could park a bunch of cars in the rear yard.

It says is on a privately owned road so perhaps that was an attention to them.

Done. …

4 Likes

Thank you. I wasn’t sure if I had done the right thing. Clearly my thinking was skewed by the case. Big news here.

2 Likes

This sounds like a hosting nightmare. I wonder what damage they did to the rental.

It reads like a pitch for an action movie. I suggest Vin Diesel for the role of handsome, troubled leader who needs the money to pay for a life saving surgery for a beautiful child he just found out was his. The mother died in a recent car wreck and social services found him by matching his 23&me DNA test.

5 Likes

Vin Diesel. Yum.

3 Likes

Why the US Senate needs to pass the bill that already passed the US House, which would decriminalize cannabis and allow cannabis businesses to use the regular banking system.

As much as I dislike Alaska’s 50 year congressman we can’t get rid of, Don Young, he knows that free spirited Alaskans have wanted legalization for years, and was a prime sponsor. In Alaska we have a problem because there are no roads, so transport has to be by Federally regulated boat or aircraft.

Mother Nature will take him eventually. I have mixed feelings about people living longer lives and this is one of the downsides. I used to be against term limits but it’s clear they are badly needed.

I don’t think you need to remove. Most people traveling won’t know about the case and I have never googled the address (which you don’t know until after the cancellation period if you ticked off that box).

Personally, I don’t see this as any issue with the place.

I wonder if this is a very high ranking factor in search results? If it were it seems we wouldn’t want people tagging our places on Instagram (for example) because we know the vast majority of people who click on listing aren’t going to book it.

I post my listing here all the time and it doesn’t affect my business at all. Every time I open my calendar I get bookings.

Here’s one of the newer articles I could find about search rank.

Mods: I’m glad you took down the listing on my post. I got it WRONG! Its a home next door to the one I posted. Thank you.

The owner is being roasted on social media. She has a lovely home, and departs it when renting it out. She has a semi local property management firm doing the renting. Neighbors are furious. Its in a custom home location - not local flop houses. Now neighbors are trying to get several vac rentals shut down, esp hers since neighbors have had to call in for loud parties and drunken events in her pool out back.

Two weeks ago, our town had the largest bust in OR history. Commercial buildings, filled with grow and process and shipping. Over 500,000 finished pounds of weed. 100 illegals living in squalid conditions. Remember that growing is allowed here, but in order to do so, there are permits, taxes, living conditions, and inspections required. We’ve had so many busts for folks not following the rules. Hiding under the less restrict Hemp grow laws.

I’ll bet these dudes saw an opportunity and came up for the fun of it all.

1 Like

I don’t feel sorry for this host at all, then. It sounds like she just moves out of her house if she gets a booking and goes to stay elsewhere, which means she really needs or wants the money and it doesn’t sound like she monitors what’s going on there, nor has respect for her neighbors.

:grimacing: :astonished:

This is one of those really interesting “private property rights” cases. When one lives in a community with those with more resources, the community usually wins over the individual rights.

My friends adult children rent out their home for long weekends (close to major wedding venue) and move in with her. They respect their neighbors. They are paying for renovations & trying to pay off their mortgage early. I think they are brilliant.

In this case the robberies occurred off property. How could this host monitor that? Even if the host had exterior cameras, no one can monitor those 24/7. A live on property owner can’t manage everything all the time.

1 Like

I wasn’t referring to the robberies. The OP said:

I wasn’'t implying that there is anything wrong with moving out when you have a booking if you want or need the money, but it sounds like this host is one to whom the money is more important than making sure her rental doesn’t disturb the neighbors.

And the OP also said she has a “semi-local property mgmt. firm” handling the bookings. So it doesn’t sound like anyone is really being suitably responsible for what goes on there.

1 Like