Best rule you’ve seen on a listing?

No, not “surely”. Did you read what I posted upthread? Where I used to live in Canada, many women live on small islands where there are no hospitals. It would be irresponsible and foolish for them to have a home birth in their own homes.

It doesn’t matter to a woman in labor whether she is in her own house or another house- they are still with their partner, family, friends in an intimate space- the point is they want to give birth in a home rather than a hospital environment, but be close enough to get to a hospital quickly if anything goes amiss.

2 Likes

It would be the appropriate situation for a 3rd party booking :wink:

2 Likes

@muddy
Thanks for the fascinating information. I think that’s so civilized- not treating the mom-to-be like a sick person, or birth as an “emergency.” Yes, I know- complications, etc. But midwifery- especially in a licensed, professional capacity- makes so much more sense to me!

…as for the best review, I can only come up with the funniest. Some years ago, very new as an AirBnb guest I stayed (unknowingly) at an illegal AirBnb condo in Honolulu. The owner had a thick binder of laminated pages, listing individual fines for every possible infraction. The one rule in all caps was, DON’T TALK TO THE FRONT DESK! DON’T EVEN LOOK AT HIM!!! My friend and I had to steel ourselves as we entered and left the building to NOT LOOK AT HIM!!! but we absolutely could NOT control the guffaws!

5 Likes

Two of my 3 daughters were born at home with midwives, as were 2 of my grandchildren. In fact, the midwives who delivered my youngest daughter also delivered those two grandchildren, many years later, which is kind of cool.

I won’t say it was some “beautiful” experience, with soft music and candlelight or anything, although there were friends with me who made the time pass easily, made food, and kept me as comfortable as possible, cracking jokes between contractions and so on - I had long, painful labors, but there were no complications or any reason for me to be in a hospital, and once the baby was born, it was great to be sleeping in my own bed with my new baby in my own home.

Midwifery in Canada is a great option, and they don’t just do home births- as I mentioned, they have hospital privileges and are part of the medical system. So my oldest daughter, who isn’t a risk taker at all, had midwife-assisted births in the hospital. There was no need for a doctor to be in attendance, although of course they were available should it have been necessary. Midwives just tend to intervene as little as possible, whereas doctors may not be as patient with long labors, or women who don’t handle the pain well, and want to hurry them along by giving a woman some drugs or suggesting a caesarean when there’s really no medical necessity for it.

When I had my first home birth, after about 30 hours of pain, I was whining, “I want some drugs, I want to go to the hospital.” My midwife said calmly, “I know it’s painful, but the baby isn’t in any distress, so how about we wait a little longer and if you still want to go to the hospital in a couple hours, we can decide then.” I was so grateful to her for that- my daughter was born only 2 or 3 hours later, all was fine.

That birth happened in a tipi I was living in. My newborn baby spent the first hour of her life staring into the fire in the firepit in the middle of the tipi, mesmerized, before she fell asleep. That was pretty magical and certainly wouldn’t have happened in a hospital.

5 Likes

Response? What was the Host.’s response?

1 Like

“neighborhood raccoon”. (in Beverly Hills)

2 Likes

I had my home birth at a friend’s house because, in Vermont, if you have traditional midwives, you must be within 10 minutes of a hospital in case of emergency and we lived way out in the country. Our hosts had also had a home delivery and were more than happy to be part of it. It was a wonderful experience for everyone.

1 Like

I only wonder how the water is removed from the pool? And is there water damage afterwards.

What pool? You are referring to water birth, I have no experience with those.

Is that what you think all home births are? Because most home births are simple affairs, not water births.

1 Like

Not always. I know a lot of people choosing home birth because they want the minimize the chance of their newborn being exposed to covid, or because our local hospital is an understaffed, squalid nightmare right now.

1 Like

My listings are “No Children Permitted” but I may have to change that to newborns :roll_eyes:

I had 3 requests for home birth in my villa last year, I declined all of them, I can’t imagine if something went wrong during birth, I don’t even have car access for 1 km to the villa in the jungle

You are correct- it would be foolish to accept a home birth booking if there is a kilometer of no car access and likely no proper hospital in the village?

It’s even more foolish, irresponsible, and dangerous of a guest to think of doing this in light of the circumstances of your listing.

My friend who rented her house for this purpose was a 5 minute ambulance ride from a major hospital. There’s no way the midwives in Canada would agree to attend a home birth in a remote location.

I have a cousin that actually rented a cabin up in the mountains specifically for this purpose…so yes, it happens :sweat_smile:

1 Like

No doubt. But making a rule because something happened once or twice and you don’t want it to? Not a good idea. I could be wrong though, maybe the host mentioned in the OP has had multiple undesired home births and decided it was time to make a rule.

2 Likes

Exactly. I had a home birth and the only water was the water bed I got to rest on after it was over.

1 Like