Best cleaner for those icky messes?

We’re going to take out our old toilets and replace them with new, dual-flush low flow ones. (Finally!)

This is an opportune time to get in there and scrub every tiny corner and every grout line. What’s your go-to cleaner for deep-cleaning these particularly icky messes?

1 Like

I have scrubbed a lot of grout and magic erasers are the best thing I’ve found. Of course they wear out so buy plenty. I’ve also used a grout cleaner that I like but I don’t know that it’s special. I also have a steam cleaner that pressurizes the steam and has attachments that include brushes.

2 Likes

Clorox gel pen and a tooth brush. If you have a bathroom window, open it. I usually let it sit a couple of minutes before I start scrubbing.

1 Like

IMO, Toto rocks. We have 4 of them. Their latest entry gravity toilet, Entrada is a BEAST. We got one for a mere $150. It is even more powerful than the Drake 2 and that says a lot.
It is technically a “dual flush” but won’t be as obvious. A “quick push” (tap / release) uses very little water and is very powerful. A “push and hold” uses more water and is even more powerful. It would be rare indeed to need more than the quick push/release.
Zoro.com has GREAT prices and fast shipping.

Grout paint pen if intractable. One of our houses was purchased from an 84 year old original owner who smoked pretty continuously when we met him and probably was at it, oh, 50 years or so. Whole place had to be coated in Kilz primer to repaint, and impossible to get the tobacco stains out of the grout.

It occurred to me years later we were probably living in a hazmat site. It probably kept out some insect pests, however!

2 Likes

Ditto.

Dad started to have his condo painted when he sold it. It wasn’t that bad. He was amazed at how good things looked with using water & a magic eraser. Costco sells a combo use variety pack!

Hmm. Does MR Clean look like Jeremy Wade?

1 Like

I recently just read that Zep Grout Cleaner and Brightener is a miracle product. I have not yet tried it, but I plan to test it out.

I recently discovered scrub brushes with shafts that will fit my cordless drills. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes for different purposes. They are life changing as they can scrub much more efficiently than I can. Available on Amazon.

2 Likes

Magic erasers, borax and, similar to @DozerPug, we use a Dremel on tough stuff like grout.

1 Like

Not a Dremel, @JJD, they fit on my cordless drill. There are three different shapes to fit in all places.

1 Like

I understand, that’s why I said “similar to”. We do actually have a brush attachment for the drill like yours, but we use it for the outdoor furniture. And there’s actually a special type of Dremel is more like what you have that’s specifically for larger scrubbing brushes. I use a regular stick-type Dremel with the small attachments, but they fit right down into the grout line perfectly.