Bed wetter - older couple

@konacoconutz - I’m worried about how hot a mattress protector might sleep. We don’t have good air conditioning (no glass on the windows and walls that don’t go to the ceiling) so the rooms are usually in the upper 70’s. I get really hot at night (then cold, then hot…) and sweat, and I’m afraid it will be uncomfortable. Does your place have good A/C? If not, does the protector make the bed hotter?

No, it’s very comfortable. No AC here! :rofl::snowflake:️ I kept reading reviews on Amazon until I found one that was comfortable, not crinkly and cool. The technology on them theses days is very good.

2 Likes

I had a peeing guest this week, and never gave it a second thought.

Pee, and just about everything else, happens.

I have covers on both mattresses and pillows to protect against both accidents, and bedbugs. Yes, they were expensive (the covers, not the bedbugs! :wink: but worth in in the long run both in terms of protection, and a time savings.

When I found the stain, I promptly splashed it with a bleach solution, and threw open the windows. This eliminates both the odour, and the stain. Good as new! Smells a bit like a hospital, but at least it’s clean.

It also works on blood, dirt, grass stains, and just about everything else.

Cheers!

3 Likes

I agree, what a jerk response. Regardless, there are really comfortable waterproof covers! This is a tough situation, my goodness. You seem to be handling it with a lot of compassion.

1 Like

Thanks. This was a while ago and we did try to be compassionate. I will be investigating waterproof covers. I hope the other person who is grappling with this finds a solution too.
Rachael

YES! Airbnb 101 Waterproof zip cover, then mattress pad on top of it. I haven’t had anything like this but just thinking about other fluids like sweat and more… I DO NOT want that hitting my mattress!!!

Definitely invest in the waterproof mattress cover. THEN get a mattress pad to go over the top of it before you put on the sheets. You can wash the mattress pad easily every few guests (obviously washing fitted and flat sheet for every guest) and if there’s an accident you can replace the mattress pad for less than $50 while your mattress stays in tact!!

2 Likes

We also have one of the newer knit type of encasements that actually sleep cool. On top of that, we have an organic cotton mattress pad. So many compliments about the bed, and we’ve protected one of the most expensive items in the unit. Also, I feel as though our guests are protected and not sleeping on a mattress that’s been used and abused but superficially cleaned [by us] of stains and smells.

I highly doubt this couple did not know about the bed wetting, and you should definitely ask for reimbursement to be made whole. To me, that means replacement if it cannot be professionally cleaned.

@rod I hope you’ve been back to read the additional responses. Quite a few people have been posting to @Rachael but I think they meant to reply to you.

So what’s the situation? Is the mattress okay? Did you have to open a case with the resolution center?

We too have a waterproof mattress cover and it’s a really nice one; I don’t think it’s even noticeable. We have one on our bed at home as well because we have an elderly dog and cat that sometimes have accidents. We once had two businessmen stay at our Airbnb and in the morning they called and said they’d had bad oysters and had ruined the fitted sheet. They had taken the sheet off actually and thrown it away and then gave us $50 and a 5 star review. We threw the mattress pad away too although it may have been salvageable. Thank goodness for that cover saving the mattress!!

My mattress protector is like a big bag with a zipper. It feels like fabric on the top but has a plastic (?) lining next to the mattress. Then I put a mattress pad on top of that and the bedding. The are several layers off the mattress. I had an elderly woman who lost control of everything so I had to buy new mattresses and bedding because it was horribly stained. Lesson learned.

1 Like

I was shocked today when I discovered not only urine on bed but also shit on bedding and bath towel! At first I thought it was chocolate but soon realised what it truly was. And then discovered urine all over bedding (the guest wrapped all bedding together).

I quickly put the towel into a bin liner, sealed it and threw it away. I even forgot to take a photo! I had to wash all bedding (including duvet) multiple times today.

What is even more strange, the guest sent me a normal message at check-out and didn’t mention anything about the accident. I think they should at least wash or throw the towel away. Leaving it to me to discover is really disgusting. The mattress looks all good but it stinks. Luckily my next guests arrive two days later so I still have time to air out the room and wash everything.

I’m still thinking about how to write the review. Any suggestion?

It’s a crazy world. It’s like people recorded saying something and then later they claim they didn’t say it even though millions of people have listened to the recording. :wink:

I might private message them about the mess before deciding what to write in a review.

3 Likes

I don’t think you need to ask them.

No matter what the reason, medical or otherwise, leaving that for you to find was horrendous. Is he two years old? Review accordingly after making the claim in resolution.

Cannot recommend guest xx. He soiled the bedding, completely ruined it and worst of all, did not inform me upon check out. The mattress still stinks and it took several days to air out.

1 Like

May I suggest leaving out the last sentence. it infers that you are still attempting to provide guests with the stinky mattress…

3 Likes

I was hoping Freya meant mattress looks okay but the room stinks. If the mattress stinks I don’t think airing out is going to be enough.

2 Likes

The mattress is ok because of the waterproof mattress protector. But it does smell a little yesterday, or maybe the whole room stinks. It is much better today.

Usually I need around 8 hours for 5 guests’ laundry. But these people made me wash for 16 hours, a few items needed to be washed twice or even three times. I had nightmares last night and only slept 5 hours. So now I’m going to review them honestly.

1 Like

Always review honestly (but fairly) nightmares or not. I do wonder what happened. You are doing a great job!

I have just completed the review and I didn’t review yesterday to avoided being too emotional.
I had no idea what happened but it must be one of the kids in the group (there was no babies, kids looked age 5-10.) I understand the urine all over bedding but I really don’t understand shit on bath towel (plenty). And I don’t understand why they keep the bath towel instead of throwing away. Also shit on toilet seat was gross (usually if there was any it was in the toilet bowl or on the ring). I wonder what these people look like in their own home.

It is really unacceptable that parents didn’t clean up their mess and didn’t mention a word in the check out message. I had only 2 really terrible guests last year, but recently it seems I’m having very bad luck, there were 4 bad guests (2 were terribly bad) in the past 2 month already. I hope good luck follows :slight_smile:

2 Likes