Bed sheet / duvet cover thickness

For a high-end London property, what is the ideal thickness for duvets and bed sheets?

I really have no idea.

Neither will other hosts :slight_smile: I would say material would probably be much more important.

Think about washes well, the facts that linen gets stained so likely need to be replaced fairly regularly etc.

Any of the major high street brands, such as Next, M&S, John Lewis, Debenhams etc will be fine

2 Likes

Hi @Fahed I think it will be worth to have 2 sets of duvets. One set of 4.5 tog for summer and 10.5-13.5 tog for winter depending on how cold it gets/the heating you have. I provide 10.5 tog and extra blanket on the side.
Bed sheets I just get the cheepest from wilko or argos. I dont think the thickness will matter as they’re fitted sheets.

The house is very well insulated and the heating is excellent. So, perhaps something in-between would be best. And I think you’re right about cheap sheets.

But what about the thickness of the duvet cover? I visited a place called King of Cotton which supplies hotels. They took me threw a range of thicknesses which included 200, 300, 400, 450, 600 etc and the options paralysed me.

I do want people to wake up with that feeling that they had a good night sleep here, so as long as the price of replacement is factored into the profit margin, I’d like to choose the ideal cover.

Ok so you’re talking about thread count. Just did a bit of research and 600tc will be at least £65. Do you really want to spend that much for a duvet cover that might be ruined in one night? I get all my bedding from wilko or argos and its usually £7 for fitted sheets and £12-15 for a duvet cover set. Probably focus more on the quality of the mattress which will deffo last more. Are you going all white?

1 Like

The feel of the sheet is more important than the “thickness.” Just last night I slept in my airbnb room for the first time in years. I have bought very inexpensive sheets ($20 for the whole set) and never had a complaint. But I also have some nicer sheets ($60 set) and they are 400tc. That’s what I slept on last night. They felt very nice. They are medium weight and very smooth feeling. I have bought up to 600tc for myself before and don’t find they are worth the extra $$. I assume you are looking at 100% cotton. Whatever you do, don’t get microfiber.

But there is a clear difference between bottom of the line linens and midrange. I’d go with a midrange at whatever retailer is suggested by the UK hosts here.

3 Likes

I agree @KKC I think there is a big difference. I’ve given him the names of quite a few midrange retailers.

3 Likes

I would also add Next ( they do cotton rich) and Laura Ashley (but only in their sales). House of Fraser had a great range and sales but I guess they’re in flux now.

2 Likes

I completely agree with @KKC. I like around 400 thread count and I have to have 100% cotton. I personally like a percale weave because they last longer, but they’re getting harder and harder to find.

2 Likes

I agree. Microfibre is a form of polyester. It’s quite common to find 50% polyester/50% cotton bedding to avoid ironing. However, like shirts, polyester is sweaty and feels nasty. For high end you definitely need 100% cotton, especially the fitted sheet which is most in contact with the body.
Thread count is a measure of fibre length not thickness. High thread count gives a smooth fabric. For me 400 TC is good. Words like percale and sateen likewise denote fabric texture, not that the fabric is made of cotton.
If your heating, insulation and glazing is functional you won’t need more than a 10.5 tog duvet for winter. I have a 4.5 with a thick bedspread on top. In high summer I have a 1 tog. Do invest in good quality pillow and mattress protectors/ enhancers as these will prolong the life of a mattress.
If you wanna go cheap IKEA do 100% cotton bedding. They do a sateen one which is quite respectable. Also Asda home do 300TC plus 100% cotton in their luxury range.

Make sure you offer plenty of pillow choices! You (or someone) are going to be doing a lot of laundry with all those beds, but I’m sure you know that. :-).

1 Like

Yes there’s the hard/soft axis! Also some people like feather some synthetic (or are allergic). I used to be a feather preferrer, but I got fed up with escaping feathers and difficult laundry/drying of feathers so now I have a quality synthetic.

Yes I did mention Next. To be honest, he can really go to any of the mainstream high street chains and department stores and pick up something decent or order online.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’ll order a 100% Cotton with 400 thread, try it myself for a few nights and then go from there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes but I often struggle to find 100% cotton, and get there in the end.

Thread count is neither fiber length nor thinkness; it’s the number of threads per square inch. In order to inflate TC some manufacturers manipulate the number of fibers per thread. Independent researchers such as Consumer Reports in the US have found that even so called luxury linens with high thread counts are actually under 600 TC.

The length of a fiber can affect the feel of a sheet. Longer fibers are better and Egyptian cotton (which is grown world wide) has the longest fiber but this is not related to thread count. If you want to give people a feel of luxury saying the sheets are 100% Organic Egyptian Cotton will seem impressive. Will you recoup your cost? Probably not.

You are quite right I expressed myself in a muddled way. The long fibres (like the Egyptian you mention) are apparently easier to make into high thread count fabric.

:joy: Any middle ground?

In a place like yours I’d probably go with something like this

https://www.kingofcotton.com/product.php/471/egyptian_400_thread_boutique_quality_cotton_percale_bed_linen

That’s assuming your housekeeper will be ironing these.

1 Like

Those look very nice!! We use something similar. We only iron the pillowcases and even that’s probably not necessary.

2 Likes