BBC reporting rash of burglaries of Airbnb hosts due to hacking of accounts

Guest accounts were being hacked. Rogue guest turns up, steals your contents. When you complain, Airbnb pursue the owner of the guest account which they have, of course, verified using ID, email etc.
Airbnb can’t do much more than encourage guests to use better passwords, 2 step authentication, etc. Hosts who live on site and meet their guests are less likely to suffer. Trust your instincts when communicating with your potential guests. Ultimately I think that Airbnb’s host insurance policy is going to see more claims.

1 Like

Who is Smartbnb and what relationship do they have with aribnb?

That’s me, or rather, my service! I am Pierre, and https://smartbnb.io/ is my software service for Airbnb hosts. Obviously Smartbnb and Airbnb are very independent companies, but the relationship is pretty good :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I personally send details identifying the exact location very close to the date - usually inside of 5 days or less, and as I don’t have keypad access, personally meet them to check in and scope them out most of the time!

I’ve also set up the listing so that it’s comfortable, but limited amount of gadgets that people would steal!

@AquaticQuests Yours seems a smart solution for hosts. Hopefully Airbnb will be able to improve security on the site, but cybersecurity is never 100%.

@smartbnb.io I just signed-up for reelz after my trial expired. I like the pinging of my account - that’s a nice feature, plus I am going to try to utilize the automated emails. I just wish you worked with HomeAway, too. Plus, the flexibility of cancelling at any time is good.

1 Like

That will come in time, once the hard things are done :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://www.airbnbcitizen.com/prevent-account-takeovers/

1 Like

Thank you so much for posting this. I did search for this kind of reassurance on my Airbnb account and my emails but was not aware of this website. Reassured that this came out at the same time as the bad publicity 13th. Of course will now be following airbnbcitizen.com. Am I the only host to have missed this resource? Are there any others I have missed? Thank you Zandra.

I’m a reporter with realtor.com doing a piece on accounts being hacked and would love to chat with you. I’m at (212) 416-3011 and my deadline is 3 pm ET today.

Unfortunately@CatskillsGrrl wasn’t really hacked. Unless you count smartbnb as a hacker. @clare

1 Like

Am I not? :innocent:

2 Likes

One problem I have noticed several times on my airbnb account, is that under the section of the listing for the wifi name and password, the system was inserting my Airbnb account ID and password by replacing the details I had entered. It came up with a warning - but I was not putting it in there myself , so it must be a bug on airbnb.
I corrected itseveral times , but it kept appearing, So I have now deleted the details completely and put the wifi password in a regular text section that is accessible to guests who have booked.