Bathroom upgrade advice

I can vouch for this. I put Kohler in my 1999 master bath remodel and have gotten a new shower valve, faucet valve stems, 2 lav faucet aerators and lavatory drain trim. They only balked at the lavatory drain because they said it only discolored because I used harsh cleansers. The other condition is you need your receipt. One thing to consider though. I’m now tiring of the sylle I picked 17 years ago. It’s brushed nickel which I still prefer, but I’d like a different style. So if your hardware lasts a lifetime but your tastes do not you don’t want to overpay.

2 Likes

I did the same layout as your IKEA inspiration pic in one tiny apartment (340 sq. feet) I redesigned lately:

The bathroom is tiny (130cm x 210 cm, it’s like 4’4" by 7’). The vanity, sink, mirror and wall light are from IKEA, the fixtures are Hansgrohe.

I have no clue about your local codes, but a well-designed, well-installed walk-in shower should not spill water everywhere if you use a factory-made tileable shower pan (Kerdi in the US, Wedi in EU, that’s what’s installed under the tile in this bathroom).

Reg. glass shower screens, I think they really make tiny bathrooms look bigger. In my Airbnb apartment (bathroom is 160 x 160cm, 5’4" x 5’4") I put a shower screen made of etched glass which looks neat enough between cleanings. Most (all?) shower screen glass is treated to minimise water spots and they should not look less clean between cleanings than the chrome fixtures.

I don’t know if you plan on using cement tiles like in your inspiration picture, but if you do, keep in mind they are a bit more difficult to maintain than porcelain or ceramic tile. There are Italian manufacturers who make ceramic tiles that really look like the real thing without the added maintenance.

6 Likes

Your bathroom is beautiful, are the towel bars heated?

Thanks :blush: and yes, actually it’s sold as a heater which doubles as a towel rack. Warm towels after a shower feel so good :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s purely an inspiration picture. I’m definitely using porcelain or ceramic tile! I’m looking for easy to clean! I want to maximize the size of this bathroom and make it feel as spa-like as possible too. I’ll have to think about heated towel bars!

How much space is there between the glass and the wall to be able to enter the shower? I can’t zoom in that much, but I’m trying to figure out if it slides or only a tiny person would be able to squeeze in :slight_smile:

We bought out house just six years ago, and our first contractor used builder grade materials. I was 25 and didn’t know any better! We’ve already had to redo and replace some of his work due to the cheap materials. So glad I found a new guy who is also an artisan!

1 Like

I would use frosted glass

1 Like

I totally agree! I like a hint of privacy, plus I want it easier to clean!

1 Like

Those are exactly the 2 reasons I suggested it! lol

1 Like

I don’t think it’s that bad! What’s bad about it?!!!

There are DIY kits you can buy at Lowe’s that can have that tub looking almost brand new. Someone here posted before and after pics. Pretty amazing what $0 and some elbow grease could accomplish!

I’m going to try it on my personal tub.

Cleaning shower glass sucks way worse than spraying down shower curtains.

@Barthelemy, your skills and creativity as an architect are amazing. This bath looks like it should be in a magazine.

1 Like

I do a big project every year. And finally after 10 years of a hateful bathroom, I got my bathroom done. Shared with guests.

Old Bathroom

New Bathroom

4 Likes

Super nice! I particularly like the shelves behind the toilet. Great use of a small space.

1 Like

@Sarah_Warren, the distance between the glass (which does not slide) and the wall in the first picture is 50cm wide, that’s about 20 inches. It may look tight but keep in mind that most people won’t enter a shower without their coat and backpack :slight_smile: , but yes an opening 4 inches wider would have been ideal.

Optimal dimensions for a comfortable experience would be 90 to 120 cm wide for the glass (36" to 48"), and a 60 to 80 cm (24" to 31") opening to access the shower.

@konacoconutz, thank you :kissing_closed_eyes: :wine_glass:

1 Like

I was disappointed that my new bathroom ended up being smaller than I thought it would. That’s 90% my fault, the other 10% is that I wish the contractor had explained a couple of things to me more clearly. I especially don’t like how close the front of the toilet is to the shower wall. My friends say I’m too much of a perfectionist. Seeing all these small and pretty bathrooms makes me feel better.

3 Likes

Thanks, we took 3 feet of a closet so believe me this was a tiny bathroom. One of my issues is that I have to explain the shower to every guest.

1 Like

I think it will be great if you install walk in bathtub in this bathroom. It will change your bathroom’s look, with comfortable bathing experience. These tubs are basically designed for physically disabled and elderly people. You can have a talk with walk in bathtubs Corvallis professionals.

I think this was meant as a joke. I hope. I have an older friend who was able to afford one, it was over 10,000.00. She only used it once. Her cons were:
You have to sit in it a long time waiting for it to fill and even longer waiting for it to drain, she got chilled during both processes & could only imagine how much it would cost if she used it regularly, they also take up a lot of room.

1 Like

I like you idea, really. I think you should put a full length glass wall between the shower and sink. It will definitely make your small bathroom seem bigger. Search the web to choose the best solution for you. Such a wall will add a sense of privacy, I guess.